Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curiosity has got the better of me so I have to ask this question, even though it will reveal my ignorance of a development in the new bike market going back years. This is coming from an ex-racer and someone who has bought the latest and greatest model 750/litre bikes for years until I settled on the 1098S.

So I have been looking for a project bike for a while - 748/916etc. Going through adverts I see bikes, not scooters, with "automatic gearbox" advertised as a matter of fact detail.

WTF???

When did this become a thing? You can really buy a sportsbike with an auto trans or is it (hopefully) an aftermarket conversion for those with co-ordination issues? (there seem to be too many for that to be the case)

Enlightnment would be appreciated ... and please don't tell me that auto is an option on something like the V4S :surprise:

·
Sophomore Member
2,572 Posts
Its a Honda thing. They have been playing with it on some of their bikes (Goldwing, NC700X, Africa Twin). They aren't putting them on sport bikes. And no, these aren't aftermarket conversions. You won't find any V4S with auto tranny.

·
Super Moderator
26,095 Posts
Possibly, depending on where you're seeing them, it might be a flaw in the classified ad software where they have you add additional information and if you don't click "Standard Transmission" it will default to "Automatic Transmission". The software is no doubt tailored to automobile ads.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Possibly, depending on where you're seeing them, it might be a flaw in the classified ad software where they have you add additional information and if you don't click "Standard Transmission" it will default to "Automatic Transmission". The software is no doubt tailored to automobile ads.
^^^THIS^^^
Ads on Craigslist have this all the time. Kinda like seeing a bike listed with 10K miles and a pic of the odometer shows 1000.0. I've seen that more times than I care to count....sean

·
Registered
427 Posts
Curiosity has got the better of me so I have to ask this question, even though it will reveal my ignorance of a development in the new bike market going back years. This is coming from an ex-racer and someone who has bought the latest and greatest model 750/litre bikes for years until I settled on the 1098S.

So I have been looking for a project bike for a while - 748/916etc. Going through adverts I see bikes, not scooters, with "automatic gearbox" advertised as a matter of fact detail.

WTF???

When did this become a thing? You can really buy a sportsbike with an auto trans or is it (hopefully) an aftermarket conversion for those with co-ordination issues? (there seem to be too many for that to be the case)

Enlightnment would be appreciated ... and please don't tell me that auto is an option on something like the V4S :surprise:
As commented earlier,
Honda do quite a few model variations that are DCT , Dual Clutch Transmission.
They’re quite nice to ride once you get over the “weirdness” of not having to do anything with you left hand & foot.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^THIS^^^
Ads on Craigslist have this all the time. Kinda like seeing a bike listed with 10K miles and a pic of the odometer shows 1000.0. I've seen that more times than I care to count....sean

Phew!!

Thanks guys, I was feeling like a right fossil for a while there as I like to think I keep up to date with major changes. What you have said makes perfect sense.

Cheers. :smile2:

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
The Aprilia Mana is a pretty cool bike and I've read of stalling issues with the FJR1300AE over the years. Ridley was an auto available for a time. In the 70's Honda offered the Hondamatic in a 450 and a 750 and Husqvarna offered an auto dirtbike for several years. You can get a custom Rekluse clutch to convert almost any motorcycle to an automatic, but, in general, yeah, Chuck's probably correct, above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts