Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all! We are a new sponsor to the site and look forward to introducing you to the European Elf Moto lubricants. In the "Motorcycle" department of our store, Performance Oil Store, you can find the Ducati recommended oil -Elf Sport 4 10w60 Campione - as well as the entire lineup of Elf motorcycle lubricants and the Adaptiv Motorcycle radar detector. For your caged rides, we also offer the Motul and Total automotive lines and have created for your a 10% store-wide discount coupon: duc10disc

I look forward to participating in your forum and sharing the technical knowlege available from Elf and its parent company Total Lubricants.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some Ducati manuals show the use of "SHELL Advance Ultra 4 20W50" oil.
This is probably a factory relationship. Ducati.com shows "SHELL Advance Ultra 4 20W50 (synthetic)" as the suggested lube. http://www.ducati.com/bikes/tech.jhtml

Some interesting inconsistencies:

- Shell DOES NOT make Advance Ultra 4 in a 20W50 in a synthetic
viscosity. Shell only offers a synthetic Advance Ultra 4 in 10W40 and
15W50 viscosities.

- Shell DOES NOT have a JASO MA rating for any 20W50 viscosity
grade oil. See JASO rating approval list;
http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf

- Shell DOES HAVE oils which have JASO MA ratings under their
synthetic range of Advance Ultra 4 in 10W40 and 15W50 viscosities but
not in a 20W50.

- Shell makes a mineral based 20W50 oil under their brand Advance
S4 brand but it is not listed on the JASO approval list. Again this is
not synthetic.

Here in the US many Ducati dealers offer various 10W50 brands.

- Today's Ducati's need a full synthetic oil with an operating temperature viscosity of SAE 50 or SAE 60.

- ELF offers two products which covers the Ducati synthetic SAE 50
temperature operating range; Sport 4 Campione 10W60 or Moto 4XT TECH
10W50 with a JASO MA2 rating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you know exactly what ELF oil was used in the kawi moto gp machines? How much info do you have on the "wet clutch" subject. I would assume that the Moto 4xt tech is wet clutch compatible. If this oil was used in a moto that was mainly a steet with an ocacional track use, what would you recommend the oil change interval to be.

I am a long time TOTAL fan. Since i discovered it a few years ago, it is the only thing i use in my cages.

Some Ducati manuals show the use of "SHELL Advance Ultra 4 20W50" oil.
This is probably a factory relationship. Ducati.com shows "SHELL Advance Ultra 4 20W50 (synthetic)" as the suggested lube. http://www.ducati.com/bikes/tech.jhtml

Some interesting inconsistencies:

- Shell DOES NOT make Advance Ultra 4 in a 20W50 in a synthetic
viscosity. Shell only offers a synthetic Advance Ultra 4 in 10W40 and
15W50 viscosities.

- Shell DOES NOT have a JASO MA rating for any 20W50 viscosity
grade oil. See JASO rating approval list;
http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf

- Shell DOES HAVE oils which have JASO MA ratings under their
synthetic range of Advance Ultra 4 in 10W40 and 15W50 viscosities but
not in a 20W50.

- Shell makes a mineral based 20W50 oil under their brand Advance
S4 brand but it is not listed on the JASO approval list. Again this is
not synthetic.

Here in the US many Ducati dealers offer various 10W50 brands.

- Today's Ducati's need a full synthetic oil with an operating temperature viscosity of SAE 50 or SAE 60.

- ELF offers two products which covers the Ducati synthetic SAE 50
temperature operating range; Sport 4 Campione 10W60 or Moto 4XT TECH
10W50 with a JASO MA2 rating.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Do you know exactly what ELF oil was used in the kawi moto gp machines? How much info do you have on the "wet clutch" subject. I would assume that the Moto 4xt tech is wet clutch compatible. If this oil was used in a moto that was mainly a steet with an ocacional track use, what would you recommend the oil change interval to be.

I am a long time TOTAL fan. Since i discovered it a few years ago, it is the only thing i use in my cages.
Advankidd, my name is Erik and my company Performance Motorcycle Products is the master Distributor of Elf Lubricants in Texas. (I do not sell to the public only to dealers) Elf4u, not trying to jack your thread just help in answering questions about our product. I believe that the Moto Gp guys use our HTX line of lubricants. This is a very specialized line of lubricants that is specifically designed for racing. (ie. the change intervals are frequent after each race normally) The HTX Line is a fantastic product line but if you are riding on the street then it is not optimal.

Yes both the 4XT Tech and our top of the line Sport 4 Campione 10W60 are both JASSO MA rated and are designed to be used in wet clutch bikes.

You know, this is one of the most asked question about oil. How long can I go before changing it? Well there is really no finite answer. Here is why. Everyone rides differently, in different conditions and at very different load levels. I mean, if you live in South Texas for example, say Houston. The summers here get to be 100+ degrees for months on end. This put a very different demand on your lubricants than say someone in Northern California or Northern US. Also if you ride in dusty or sandy conditions this contributes to shorter life of a lubricant. I guess the best answer I can give you is to follow your manufacturer's recommended intervals. Having said this, if I take my bike to the track, my oil gets changed after the track day every time. Hope I helped you a little if not let me know and I will try to explain it better.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just started using Elf's full synthetic 10w50 here in Canada.
A perfect viscosity especially on some of the cold summer mornings
we have here. I feel more comfortable with a 50 weight especially
after some long rides in traffic where my 996 temp. gauge keeps going higher
and higher.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts