Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my bike for exactly two years as of tomorrow, done 15,950 miles.
After a ride today I noticed the right hand fork was leaking oil quite badly.......anyone else had this problem ?
I know Ohlins fork seals have a bit of a reputation on other models.

Phoned dealer and got notified them as the warranty will expire tomorrow !!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just got my 2010 out the other day from winter storage, and I too noticed the right side fork leaking. I only have 5500 miles on it. Calling dealer tomorrow to get it in to fix. The fork was fine when i put it up last fall.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Common fault on the electronic suspension
There is a dealer warrantee rebuild kit available (new seals)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was talking to a fellow who was waiting for service with me at the dealer. His 2010 S had about 10k miles and was in for its second round of leaking fork seals. It was dribbling oil down the fork as we were just standing there talking.

Was a fix for this incorporated on later bikes?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I wonder if this problem is more likely to occur if you DON'T ride it? Does it happen more on bikes that are put away for the winter? Perhaps daily use keeps the seals "soft/limber" and in good working order? :confused:

PS: mine's done about 30,000km ridden almost every day and has no leaks (knock on wood)

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
I wonder if this problem is more likely to occur if you DON'T ride it? Does it happen more on bikes that are put away for the winter? Perhaps daily use keeps the seals "soft/limber" and in good working order? :confused:
I think so. When I bought my YZ, it had been sitting in the PO's garage for a couple of years. It looked brand new, and had very few hours on it. The first big jump I took on it got both fork seals leaking.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Needed new seals at 8k miles

My 2011 needed new seals at 8,000 miles. But coming from a dirt biking background that seemed really good!

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I know they're not in the same league, but my ST2 had 53,000mi on it when I sold it, and NEVER needed fork seals. I did manage an oil change on it. And I was amazed at how clean the drained oil was... I wrote that off to the inverted design--little/no water to drain down and in.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just scheduled my 7500 service, My forks starting leaking on my 2011 1200ST @ 8000ish miles, the other day.

I've wheelied the piss outta her, dealer says warranty covers no problem, Ducati knows it's a problem and is only replacing seals, no new seals or other response other than, they know of the problem and are working to address it.

if someone wheelied me this much/often, I'd leak too! I got an xtra 2yrs. on my warranty because I didn't figure I'd be able to part with her at 2 or 3 after how much fun the test ride was.

I'm taking the opportunity to go to .75 springs in front and 100 rear coil (I'm 230 without gear). labor will be free on the front. Going to run some track stuff this summer.

·
Registered
206 Posts
if there is a clear problem with the seals and you have had them replaced 1 or 2 times and it happens again and you are out of warrenty do they still honor that it is a continuing problem?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry to hear about your leaking fork seals. Hopefully they will cover it under warranty before it expires.

Hopefully the following doesn't come off too bad...

Has anyone heard about leaking fork seals on the base Marzochi (SP?) forks?

I've had my bike nearly 2 years and +17k miles without any leaks. Knock on wood.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
if there is a clear problem with the seals and you have had them replaced 1 or 2 times and it happens again and you are out of warrenty do they still honor that it is a continuing problem?
Had fork seals on both my old ST3 and Multi 1100s replaced under extended warranties.

I would be very surprised if leaking fork seals were covered on any bike after the warranty expired. In fact, I was actually surprised replacing them was covered on my other bikes, as some folks consider them wear items like brake pads, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts