Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone wire up an electronic cruise control to their ST?

I have an audiovox unit I installed on my V Strom, but I would need to find the tach wire and the speed sensor wire on the ST3 to install one on this bike........

Any hints?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hey Rob, no I have not but at the lower end of the accessory chain that I am check out the one I put on my 03 ST4s -- good grief its from the H-D shop! Cost about $7.

Dave Harhay

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

But since my BMW K1200RS, which came with factory cruise control. I've been spoiled! On a very long trip on the slab, there is nothing like being able to rest your right hand. I had a bad accident last summer and trashed my right wrist. This summers trip out west will kill me if I don't have cruise.

I installed the Audiovox unit on the V Strom and it works perfectly. All I need is some way to identify a few wires and I could put one on the ST3.......

·
North Carolina, USA
3,321 Posts
Royb said:
Anyone wire up an electronic cruise control to their ST? Any hints?
I wanted to resurrect this thread to see if I could get any more info on installing an electronic cruise on my 2006 ST3.

I've had one of these motorcycle specific cruise controls on my ST1100(http://www.mccruise.com/shop/home.php) for the past eight years, and the thing has always worked perfectly! Set it and forget it, accel or coast as needed with just the push of a button. And just like Royb, I have gotten very spoiled by it, especially on long trips. The components are small and light, and the controller is very unobtrusive mounted on the clutch side handlebar. I think it would be a fine addition to my ST3.

Does anyone on the forum have any experience with installing one of these on an ST3? I've been e-mailing the company. They have a model for the ST2, but not the ST3, and apparently there are some differences in how they must be installed on my newer bike. Part of it -may be- due to the CAN wiring system (which is still a source of confusion for me).

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

STeve B in NC

·
Registered
160 Posts
mollycbr123 said:

Does anyone on the forum have any experience with installing one of these on an ST3? I've been e-mailing the company. They have a model for the ST2, but not the ST3, and apparently there are some differences in how they must be installed on my newer bike. Part of it -may be- due to the CAN wiring system (which is still a source of confusion for me).

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

STeve B in NC
Steve,

Did you get any info?

·
North Carolina, USA
3,321 Posts
Duc-OT said:
Steve,

Did you get any info?
Duc-OT,

I pretty much gave up on the electronic controller. According the guys at Motorcycle Cruise, the only problem (they are aware of) with installing the ST2 kit on an ST3 is with the length of the cable off of the vacuum actuator. This cable connects the actuator to their throttle cable interface unit, which is what actually controls the throttle when you put it on auto-pilot. On ST2's, the actuator was mounted aft, under the left rear body panel. Plenty of room there. (On my ST1100, it's mounted aft of the seat in the rear storage compartment) For some reason which I never really fully understood, they can no longer get actuators with the correct length cables. All they can get are ones with shorter cables :confused: . So basically you would have to find a place around the engine to mount the actuator, and orient it to still allow a relatively straight pull for the actuator cable. Motorcycle Cruise said they had sold kits that apparently had been successfully been installed on ST3's, but had no details about how it was done. For $550 USD, I just wasn't willing to take a chance on not being able to make the kit work. So I now have a Throttlemeister installed. :D No comparison, but it will have to do for now.

It really is a shame, because their electronic cruise I installed on my ST1100 has worked flawlessly for eight years now.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,321 Posts
Yep, that's the one. Tony Guymer is the fellow I was e-mailing back and forth with about the ST2 kit. I have to agree with the article, the unit is kind of a bear to install, but it definitely works as advertised, and is bulletproof. BTW, the bike in the article isn't an ST1100. Looks like maybe a PC800?

I may eventually bite the bullet and try to install one on my ST3.

·
Registered
34 Posts
mollycbr123 said:
BTW, the bike in the article isn't an ST1100. Looks like maybe a PC800? QUOTE]

Could very well be, these bikes have a similar look to me, even though the PC has way more plastique. I stand corrected.

cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts