Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was having a thought about a styling treatment for decals that puts EL sheets behind them.

I will be receiving a new set of side panels for the ST, and since they are a blank slate, I wanted to get impressions of the effect. Do you think it's tacky or cool?

The idea is to sandwich EL film, a colored gel sheet and a vinyl mask together instead of just the stock decal. The result would be applied to the part before painting. A small hole would be drilled in the back of the part to route the wires to the EL sheet, and the inverter would take power from the mains. It could have an inline switch so they wouldn't be on constantly or even if you didn't want to have them illuminated.

Here is a really quick visualization of the idea.

What is your collective take?

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you mfg a license plate that changes numbers at speeds over 75 mph, I'll be first in line.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Better then just the plate, put that treatment on the whole bike and if you see cops change the color of the bike and boogie. :D

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Better then just the plate, put that treatment on the whole bike and if you see cops change the color of the bike and boogie. :D
Yes, but since the stuff emits light, you'd look like a character from Tron. Not the best thing for being incognito. :D

Attachments

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, from all of the crickets chirping (in relation to the question of aesthetics), does that mean it's too tacky?

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's a nice idea and if executed well it will look, good.

I personally like the neon look like "tron" and "the fast and the furious" style body kits.

Done right it can be a real looker.

But that's my penny worth.

http://srd-bikes.com/meanmachine.jpg

but just to do the decals I think might be wrong

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have seen some bikes around here that have that stuff either all over the bike or just the logo.

One particular had the Yamaha tuning fork logos done that way and the R1 logo and it looked really clean. Not too much flashiness for the eyes. He had just enough of the logos spread throughout the bike it made it look good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts