Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted in the welcome section but this is probably a more appropriate place for my questions.'

As mentioned in my other post I have been going over all the wiring and the only suspect area is where someone has wired in a replacement regulator. My bike has been charging OK so I know it all functions, I am just going to tidy up.

When disassembling I didn't realise until I had already pulled it apart that I had a 3 pin connector with three wires coming from the regulator connected to 2 yellow wires coming from the bike harness. I don't know which of the three pins the two wires were plugged into, or if it even makes a difference.

The second part of the problem is I have an empty two pin plug that has 12v with the ignition off and no voltage with the ignition on. When I bridge these wires with the ignition off the charge light come on. Is there any way of connecting this up to the replacement regulator so the charge warning light is functional again? Any suggestions appreciated.

Specifically my two questions are: does it matter which of the three yellow pins from the regulator connect to the two yellow pins coming from the bike?
And is there a way to get my charge warning light functioning again?
I'm pretty competent actually doing the wiring, just not so good at working out what has to go where!!

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
Specifically my two questions are: does it matter which of the three yellow pins from the regulator connect to the two yellow pins coming from the bike?
And is there a way to get my charge warning light functioning again?
Doesn't matter where the yellow wires connect on the VRR. As You likely know, the two yellows come from your bike's single phase generator. The newer 3 phase regulators can be used without issue, you just end up with a spare / unused AC input.

There is no way to reconnect the dash charge light unless you use an original VRR that has the connection for that light. Based on the proven "reliability" of the original VRR, it s a loss you can endure! If you want to have a way to monitor your voltage, you can connect a small digital meter on a keyed circuit off the fuse block.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you SS904,
Appreciate your concise answer. I have ordered a small digital voltmeter from eBay and it should be better than the simple warning light because I might spot a problem before it dies completely.
I'm also planning to swap out all bulbs besides headlights to LEDs, I figure it may only be a small difference but adding up the tail, park, gauges etc lights might reduce the draw on the system slightly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts