Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a question for the riders who work on there own bikes.

I have owned my 2000 748 since birth and love it, I am however having problems with the electrical system.

symptoms

tach gauge goes wild
headlights dim
gas light comes on but dim when tank is full

These happen at the same time and come and go frequently, no engine problems so I know the ECU is ok, I was thinking the rectifier. Battery is brand new and with the bike started the alternator is putting above 14V when reved.

Anyone seen this before?????

[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
8,267 Posts
It´s your rectifier OR the infamous little white connector behind the batterbox.

Take off your battery and batterybox and follow the yellow wires from the rectifier to the generator. You will come upon a white connector. I will bet money that it´s burned out. Snip off and solder the wires together (yellow to yellow. doesn´t matter. the current is AC).

As i said.. I WILL bet money on that connector. It happened to mine too. Exactly the same thing. Tach goes wild, lights dim, engine sputters when gassed, but regains when letting off the throttle, the it simply dies and won´t crank. I had the trouble on and off, since the wires are corroded they sometimes worked and sometimes not.

After the fix it´s been 5 years with no problems.

//amullo

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Same problem here on my 916SP.

My monster had a corroded wire on the starter. The little upside down rubber boot used to collect water in it.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Another one here had the corroded connector problem, although I discovered mine before it started misbehaving. I replaced the connectors & now check it regularly and keep it greased as the plugs sit in a 'hotspot' and so dry out which cause bad connections.

If the connector is bad and you leave it too long you may end up needing a new Rectifier, so it's worth checking it sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Similar Issues with electrical system

Hey, I am a proud but an often stranded owner of a 95 916. I have been fighting a Rectifier/Alternator/Wiring? issue with my bike since I got it 2 years ago.

It started with the crazy tachometer, lack of headlites, constant on turn signal issue similar to the original post. It lead to my battery slowly draining, and then I found fried wiring. The yellow wires from the Voltage recifier to the Alternator I think. I resoldered the first burnt wire thinking a lower activated fan switch would solve the "heat" issue, however a half year and two more stranded bike pick ups later, I see that the other yellow wire has melted.

I resoldered the yellow wire, and put on a new ducati rectifier kit, however now the bike seems to get good electricity, good lites etc. However, it will now not even try to turn over. I tried the old rectifier again, and still not ignition, just good lites.

Any help?

P.s. Pardon my noob status here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ptrick said:
Hey, I am a proud but an often stranded owner of a 95 916. I have been fighting a Rectifier/Alternator/Wiring? issue with my bike since I got it 2 years ago.

It started with the crazy tachometer, lack of headlites, constant on turn signal issue similar to the original post. It lead to my battery slowly draining, and then I found fried wiring. The yellow wires from the Voltage recifier to the Alternator I think. I resoldered the first burnt wire thinking a lower activated fan switch would solve the "heat" issue, however a half year and two more stranded bike pick ups later, I see that the other yellow wire has melted.

I resoldered the yellow wire, and put on a new ducati rectifier kit, however now the bike seems to get good electricity, good lites etc. However, it will now not even try to turn over. I tried the old rectifier again, and still not ignition, just good lites.

Any help?

P.s. Pardon my noob status here.
I have a similar problem, I have been stranded once on my 97 916. It just shut off while I was in the middle of a turn, then it would not crank at all. Had the bike picked up, put it in my garage, then I tried to start it to humor myself and it cranked right up. I metered the yellow wires and the resistance was good. So I got a brand new battery in and the bike ran fine, but slowly the battery lost power and it eventually died on me again, wouldnt start. About 3 1/2 hours later I tried it again and it just barely started and I rode her home. When the bike is running and I rev her the lights get brighter, the tach works fine and so does the fuel light. I need help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
For anyone who needs help or has the same or similar issue I had. I resoldered the wires behind the battery tray, not just the yellow ones, all of them. My bike runs much better. Now it starts without the throttle hold when cold and stays started everytime. Also the battery volts stay above 12v while at rest and they rise into the 13.5 range without much throttle applied. The cranking is more powerful on startup also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts