Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Start from the beginning.. Sunday I leave the house, go up the highway and hang a right turn onto another road, just start to roll on the throttle and the bike died. Like I shut the key off. Rolled into a parking lot, starter cranks good, (new battery, put in the day before and completely charged), but no fire what so ever. Hauled it home in the truck, recharge the battery fully, still no fire. Notice I can't hear the fuel pump and after asking around a FB Ducati group the consensus is likely the pump relay. Take it to the local shop later that day and leave it to see if they can make a definitive diagnosis. Shop guys come in this morning, and the bike starts right up.
Anybody have a fuel pump relay do this? I now have an intermittent problem on a bike that I mostly ride out in the backwoods sticks where the best, least traveled twisties are. I can throw a pump relay at it and hope, but would feel better about it if someone else had one do this.
Thanks.. Tom

·
Registered
367 Posts
My 748 did that quite a bit when I bought it. There were a few problems, but a fuel pump relay was definitely one of them.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
First place to look is the grounds for the battery as well as the main harness.

Make sure the battery terminals are tight, and are actually making contact.

A large percentage of these types of situations are related to main cables not getting a good connection.

Also- relays are not usually an intermittent issue, in my experience. They either work, or they dont.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First place to look is the grounds for the battery as well as the main harness.

Make sure the battery terminals are tight, and are actually making contact.

A large percentage of these types of situations are related to main cables not getting a good connection.

Also- relays are not usually an intermittent issue, in my experience. They either work, or they dont.
Yes, cables are tight. Starter worked just fine, rest of the motor wasn't having anything to do with it. Pretty much what i figured about the relay too (work or not work, nothing in between), but I'm hearing of others that did have an intermittent issue with them. I'll put one in it and see how it goes. Electrical can be such a PITA. :frown2:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Take out all the fuses and inspect them closely. Corrosion on the blades can cause intermittent lack of voltage or not enough voltage[high resistance] and yes relays can fail intermittently, the contacts will burn slightly and corrode[high resistance again] letting vibration/heat break the contact. If they are the original Italian fuses [can't remember the brand] I've seen the fuse foil break where it meets the blade,very hard to see usually on the lower amperage fuses, and cause intermittent contact.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I was testing my fuel pump relay off the bike when I suspected it of failing. I eventually caught it clicking (mechanically closing) but not making electrical contact. But being intermittent, it was hard to find. It's one of the easiest, cheapest things to fix so I'd just replace it given the problems you've had and what you've already checked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts