Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought this MC in 12/2008 and now 6 months later I am still laboring/wondering will this ever be done? It's getting closer but that gremlin winks at me just to let me know, he's alive and not going away.

In less than 30 days, last Friday my second, new esr510 arrived. Now having a nifty desmo LED device that informs me of air temp and most importantly, DC volts at the battery, I am better informed.

This time after many hours playing with my wiring and pushing/towing my MC home everything was beginning to act like it should. The desmo instrument showed volts of 14 down to 13.5, +/- .3 volts after the initial starter drain. Yea

I drove it for an hour plus, 100 miles to see my mother, and bingo, when I left to go home the idiot light was not going off soon like it did earlier that morning when the rpms went up to 2-3K.

This was the issue with the old ESR. With the old ESR often I would drive with the headlight off, (as I had installed a cycleworks left hand switch). With the first ESR I kept my drain on the battery to a minimum, as the ability of the alternator/regulator to replenish what the duc was using was not happening. Battery voltage according to the desmo instrument would show volts of 12.5 to 11 with the first ESR. It finally quit.

That morning, Saturday 6-7, things were normal for the first time in 6 months. Now 5 hours later as I started my ride home the idiot light was not going off again.

Uh not again?

The engine was cold and as I drove I began to allow my rpms to creep above 3k to 6k a few blocks later, the entire time I was keeping the head light off. Now the desmo LED finally begin to show volts above 12.2, and the idiot light went off, so now I could turn on the head light. For the rest of the ride, it was 85 miles of normal dc volts at the battery.

Then this morning, Sunday 6-7, I had to again coax the ESR to work by increasing the rpms. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
570 Posts
I would call Ducati them gargoyles instead....did you read about my fuel pump fuse blowing post? Still haven't figured out what cause the problem after taking the pump and all associated wiring out for inspection (everything is ok for now) ....ah the mystique of our beloved Ducatis.:D

·
Registered
269 Posts
When I bought this MC in 12/2008 and now 6 months later I am still laboring/wondering will this ever be done? It's getting closer but that gremlin winks at me just to let me know, he's alive and not going away.

In less than 30 days, last Friday my second, new esr510 arrived. Now having a nifty desmo LED device that informs me of air temp and most importantly, DC volts at the battery, I am better informed.

This time after many hours playing with my wiring and pushing/towing my MC home everything was beginning to act like it should. The desmo instrument showed volts of 14 down to 13.5, +/- .3 volts after the initial starter drain. Yea

I drove it for an hour plus, 100 miles to see my mother, and bingo, when I left to go home the idiot light was not going off soon like it did earlier that morning when the rpms went up to 2-3K.

This was the issue with the old ESR. With the old ESR often I would drive with the headlight off, (as I had installed a cycleworks left hand switch). With the first ESR I kept my drain on the battery to a minimum, as the ability of the alternator/regulator to replenish what the duc was using was not happening. Battery voltage according to the desmo instrument would show volts of 12.5 to 11 with the first ESR. It finally quit.

That morning, Saturday 6-7, things were normal for the first time in 6 months. Now 5 hours later as I started my ride home the idiot light was not going off again.

Uh not again?

The engine was cold and as I drove I began to allow my rpms to creep above 3k to 6k a few blocks later, the entire time I was keeping the head light off. Now the desmo LED finally begin to show volts above 12.2, and the idiot light went off, so now I could turn on the head light. For the rest of the ride, it was 85 miles of normal dc volts at the battery.

Then this morning, Sunday 6-7, I had to again coax the ESR to work by increasing the rpms. Any suggestions?
Check your battery connections and your grounds to your frame. There are two, one under the battery box, one from the engine to the frame near the rear brake reservoir. Clean them and coat with silicone grease. Mine were in very bad shape, all of my electrical issues suddenly went away after I cleaned them!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
both grounds

Jacaruth been there done that. I also replaced the ground wire that was next to the battery, as that was so substandard I was shocked, or not shocked, pun. The ground next to the rear brake was better designed unlike the main ground off the battery was designed. In addition the wire going to the starter was replaced by me as well as the wiring off the alternator, .....and on and on. Just about 99% of the great ideas on how to wire a ducati on this site have been used.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts