Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a pacemaker installed and am wondering if anyone has used an electric vest in combination with a pacemaker. The pacemaker manufacturer indicates that they have received similiar queries in the past, don't think vests will interfere with their product, but never received any feedback. Any comments will be appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
70 Posts
Pacemaker

Mate,
The heated vest just provides heat, cables/heating elements run thru the jacket and warm up.
A cell phone, radar etc any unit that sends out signals or works off certain frequencies MAY cause problems.

On the other hand
if thats you in your avtar image ....that little red thing your on, WILL stress your ticker & pacemaker a bit...

Let us know about it...please

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
The wiring in an electric vest will put out a small magnetic field. Pacemakers use magnets to reset them. The magnet used to reset a pacemaker is significantly more powerful than the magnetic field generated by the small current running through the vest.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sort of stating the obvious ...... but why don't you ask the manufacturer of your pacemaker? Their opinion is likely worth more than what you might get here when it comes to your pacemaker. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually what is really stressing the ticker is the necessity of having to cancel an Edelweiss tour to Spain/France (rebooked for October) and not being able to get on that little red thing (749s), the big red thing (BMW R1100RSL), the bigger white thing (Buell RS1200) and the dirt bikes. Hopefully, I will be back on the street bikes by July 1 and the dirt bikes by August 1.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way, I did check with my cardiologist, the pacemaker and vest manufacturers and none have had the question put to them before. The closest answer I got was from the pacemaker rep who stated that their pacemakers are electric blanket safe. Lacking experience from the technocrats, I'm looking for practical experience. Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my wife, bless her heart also rides; a 620 ie (matte black). As you can see by my numerous posts, I am recooperating but extreme cabin fever has set in.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
By the way, I did check with my cardiologist, the pacemaker and vest manufacturers and none have had the question put to them before. The closest answer I got was from the pacemaker rep who stated that their pacemakers are electric blanket safe. Lacking experience from the technocrats, I'm looking for practical experience. Thanks
Since the vest is just a small electric blanket I'd think the vest would be fine. But, I'm no expert and I understand why you would be so concerned. Hope this all works out and you can get out there and have some fun soon.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Here's a helpful link on the subject:

http://enginova.com/should_wearers_of_heart_pacemake.htm

I guess a good starting point would be to find out how many hrtz mag. field the vest puts out, the manuf. might know.

Anecdotally, the magnets used in our cath lab to reset pacemakers are substantially stronger than the magnetic field that would issue from a 12 volt vest. I would think if an electric blanket is not contraindicated and vest would not be. But it may be one of those things you have to just try as manufacturers of implants are reluctant to give concrete yes or no answers in many areas due to liability issues.

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts