Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Official Retired Person
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people here may have noticed I haven't been posting much lately. That's an assumption on my part as I can't really determine that. But bear with me for a minute or two. This is kind of hard to write.

Last November, durning a Dr visit in preparation for a procedure, I found out I have dilated cardiomyopathy with no known cause. Laymen's terms, heart failure. Huge surprise to me as I had no symptoms. I've been put on & taken off & changed dosages for several meds trying to make things work for me. Difficult time as most meds have some weird side effects. Slowly got worse. To the point that last week, my heart rate was a constant 35 beats per minute. Don't try to get that low at home. PM me first so I can talk you out of it! Off to the Dr office, examine and poof, special ride in a red & white van with flashing lights to the hospital. No choice.

More tests, pokes and prods, schedules arranged and Monday I had a pacemaker installed. Hence the thread title.

I was awake for most of the procedure and as soon as I was back in the hospital room, I felt so much better. Heart rate set to 70. I feel pretty beat up and when I see the Dr next week, I'm going to ask him about that. Must have been a violent task for him. I'm sore like hit by a bus, bruised, and my chest hair is missing. Probably take a couple weeks to settle out but everyone told me I'm going to be fine. These new pacemakers self adjust for activity level, record and transmit data to the Dr and can even act as a defibrillator if necessary. All in a can the size of a pocket watch.

Dr said I can do anything I want. With one important caution. EMI. Electric fields generated by certain pieces of equipment can cause problems for my ignition system. Still gathering information on that but it appears I can still ride if I want. Do I want? Oh hell yes!

I plan on being around for some time to come. Should be able to adjust to this new normal. Just feeling this good now and enjoying life again makes it all worth the pain.

Question though. Anyone else have a pacemaker? Would be great to compare notes.

Thanks for tolerating me. Hope all ya'll are doing well.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,867 Posts
I’m so glad to hear you got this under control!

What about your cell phone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
I think it’s cool you have built in datalogger, boost table ignition mapping etc!!!! Your straight up World Super Bike tech. ECU like that cost me a bundle. Seriously, very glad they found the problem and were able to fix you up. Medical technology is ready incredible. Get well.

·
Official Retired Person
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

So far I know I need to keep my cell phone at least 6" from the device. Was told to use my right ear only.

Seems running alternators put out a strong magnetic field so I shouldn't lean over a running car/truck motor either.

Going to be a learning process.

·
18,867 Posts
Do you have a tachometer? Can you manually adjust your rev limiter?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Also, steer clear of straight, multi-stranded, unshielded spark plug wires that produce lots of electromagnetic interference (EMI). The concern also goes for non-resistor plugs.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
damn man. i wish you didn't need to go through all of that. i've heard things about pacemakers these days, seems they're quite reliable and can add many decades to a patient's life. kinda like how these modern dental implants are now good for 25+ years. I'm just feeling it for ya, hospitals suck, operations suck, at it can all be quite frightening. hang in there for us ... we need to hear stories of success right now ... y'know, like yours.

:)

·
18,867 Posts
A Faraday Cage made with chicken wire under the tank should do.

But your aluminum tank should be a pretty good shield to begin with.

·
Señor Member
8,156 Posts
Damn Kneel, so glad to read you’re on the mend and doing better. Hope your new normal will be even better Soon.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Sounds like your new ECU is a nice upgrade, congrats on the new lease on life! I had a temp pacemaker they literally yanked out after a surprise open heart procedure way back in 2004. Whole thing was surreal, as I was totally healthy otherwise. but it gave me a real appreciation for the concept of consciousness, and been good ever since. Thing worked a charm, and these guys really know what they're doing these days. You should be good for another 50,000 miles, after which they'll install the latest ECU upgrade and throw in the new desmo systems while they're at it!

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Heart valves mechanically opened and closed ! What’s the maintenance interval ?
Open belt cover down to your crank ?

·
Official Retired Person
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The heart itself has bad wiring (nerve damage called bundle block) which the pacemaker fixes, weakened left ventricle muscle and some enlargement. Maybe over time the muscle will get stronger.

Gotta leave all the covers on!

Only maintenance is battery & that's fairly easy - replace and leave the leads in place.

Trust me on this, my 2nd question was " who built this thing?". 1st question was "Am I still in this world?".

·
Registered
791 Posts
i remember very well waking up to that first question. What the kids call “Woke” is nothing by comparison.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts