Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
After all of the discussion around the smog debate in the other forum, it is nice to see what the future holds.

I'm sure that electric is the way we will all end up going soon enough. However, I'll shed a tear for the dinosaur driven models.

I still can't imagine an electric with one or two gears being as fun to ride as a petrol motor, though.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I do think we'll see electric bikes in our future. The biggest hurtle isn't acceptance, its technology, specifically; Motors. Right now we're all working with standard motor designs that use gobs of power and we're stuck there. The solution is a light weight and powerful motor that runs on electro magnets but works like an internal combustion motor. Imagine, instead of the explosion from fuel, you've got highly charged magnets repelling. You could make it 2 stroke, you could make it 4 stoke, it doesn't matter!

The electric vehicle design firms are trying to make electric vehicles something "special". For bikes, especially sport/race bikes, they need to make them almost identical to what we have now. Of course, they'll be silent... but I want them to vibrate, have a chain and everything!

These motor designs are coming... and I'm sure, once somebody like Honda perfects it, we'll see more and more of them. I give the switch over from internal combustion to electric in less then 20 years... We could see some experimentation with standard street production bikes within the next 10 years.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Imagine, instead of the explosion from fuel, you've got highly charged magnets repelling. You could make it 2 stroke, you could make it 4 stoke, it doesn't matter!
Got a P-v diagram for this?

The electric version shown in the article has two potential faults I can see, both aerodynamic. The front of the fairing is designed like one using a radiator, ie. it's an open scoop with alot of drag. Secondly back end, the part under the rider has no air flow seperation, just alot of aerodynamic clutter. This company clearly thinks they are on the cutting edge, but in reality, other than the power plant (maybe) there is no real out of the box thinking.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Got a P-v diagram for this?

The electric version shown in the article has two potential faults I can see, both aerodynamic. The front of the fairing is designed like one using a radiator, ie. it's an open scoop with alot of drag. Secondly back end, the part under the rider has no air flow seperation, just alot of aerodynamic clutter. This company clearly thinks they are on the cutting edge, but in reality, other than the power plant (maybe) there is no real out of the box thinking.
Well, the scoop in the front could be for cooling. Remember, Li-Ion chemistry (assuming they are using such) gets very hot when discharging quickly. I think there was just a recent development where a team came up with an electrode that could discharge the battery in < 10 seconds. That is impressive since this particular chemistry would rather catch fire than discharge like that. But when Li-Ion is pushing kilowatts of power, there is sufficient heat generated that I'm not surprised that they might route air past the battery or controller.

About the back of the bike, I have no opinion except that it looks pretty good.

The TTXGP should be an interesting proving ground...can't wait.

·
Registered
21 Posts
handling?

What concerns me about electric-powered race bikes is not the power or acceleration. We know electric motors can put serious torque down. I'm wondering about throttle modulation. Most common electric motors are essentially on or off. How do you allow for the fine-control of power you need midcorner? I confess my ignorance of electric-motor stepping or modulation.

I'm sure these things could be just as fast in a straight line as our ICE's, but how would they compare around a track with traffic?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Well, the scoop in the front could be for cooling. Remember, Li-Ion chemistry (assuming they are using such) gets very hot when discharging quickly.
So use a foil shaped heat sink. or do anything to take the section out that's literally worse than a barn door.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
What concerns me about electric-powered race bikes is not the power or acceleration. We know electric motors can put serious torque down. I'm wondering about throttle modulation. Most common electric motors are essentially on or off. How do you allow for the fine-control of power you need midcorner? I confess my ignorance of electric-motor stepping or modulation.

I'm sure these things could be just as fast in a straight line as our ICE's, but how would they compare around a track with traffic?
i've got an awesome Dewalt cordless drill will variable speed on the trigger & variable torque on the chuck(racer). maybe Dewalt or Makita can build it.

·
9,757 Posts

Combine the programmable nature of the electric motor along with the miniscule response time between any user input and the actual output of the motor and you have things like infinitely variable power curves, launch control, traction control, etc.

The thing with sophisticated electronics in modern GP bikes is that they still operate within the pre-described parameters of an internal combustion engine's output characteristics.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Combine the programmable nature of the electric motor along with the miniscule response time between any user input and the actual output of the motor and you have things like infinitely variable power curves, launch control, traction control, etc.

The thing with sophisticated electronics in modern GP bikes is that they still operate within the pre-described parameters of an internal combustion engine's output characteristics.
Good answer. I retract my query. Thanks.

·
Registered
434 Posts

·
If you ain't first, you're last!
834 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts