Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, 11 years away from my motorcycling days and I'm back and am curious if I'm just out of touch, or if this has something to do with the sprocketing thing you guys keep talking about.

My issue is that I keep killing the bike in heavy stop and go traffic.

Now...keep in mind, this is only after a few days of riding, but damn...I don't remember it being that difficult.

I'm not talking about the clutch being to hard to pull in or anything like that. But traffic here in Washington can suck...and 405 the other day was no exception. I kept trying a slow roll slipping the clutch and I swear to god I killed it like 5 times over a 10 mile stretch of road. Embarassing...to say the least.

So, what I'm trying to figure out is if this is a common thing on the stock ST4s, or I'm I just going to need to get the feel of it. And before you make fun of me...I'm asking the question because I've been trying to figure out what changing the sprockets will do for this low speed type situation. I know what it's designed to do freeway speeds, but will this also effect me for a little bit of an easier take off if I'm in an ugly stop and go situation.

On a side note..no problems killing it under normal take offs. I'm golden there. It's just that ultra slow rolling stop and go stuff that's making me look like I've never ridden a day in my life.

Thanks for any input.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Most of us that have owned an ST4s have replaced the OEM 38T rear sprocket with a 42T or 43T one. This will require two additional links to chain. It will smoothe out performance at all street and highway legal speeds plus make starting up our hills from a standing stop much easier.

Please add your location to your public profile or signature line so members will know that you don't live in that other Washington.

·
Mr Leakered
8,835 Posts
I agree that it is most likely the tall gearing, but a good EFI setup and throttle body sync will also help with the stalling.

Have a good one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts