Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surfing yesterday and came across this :2003 Ducati 800ss track/street

This is the bike I bought a year and a half ago. It had all the stock stuff on it but the flywheel, fork and airbox when I bought it. The guy told me he took it to a few track days. Said it had the PC on it because he had some high mount Sil-Moto's on it that he took off because they were too loud. How many miles of engine life do you think got used up by 7 race weekends? This sort of ticks me off. I might have bought the bike anyway but it steams me to get lied to.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
How many miles?

Impossible to say. If he changed the oil religiously, kept the valves adjusted, and didn't constantly redline it, then probably not many (miles of engine life used up). How does it run? Does it burn any oil?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No noticeable oil consumption. Runs great. Isn't racing all about "constantly redlining it"?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
No noticeable oil consumption. Runs great. Isn't racing all about "constantly redlining it"?
Not necessarily on an SS. They don't make much more power above 7-8,000 rpms. I usually shift my track bike at 7,000. I've done more than 25 track days on my 1997 SS/SP track bike (around 30,000 total miles) and it runs better than ever :)!

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
I also have an older SS and I don't worry. I just ride it hard (not abuse, mind you) and don't fret. These bikes/motors like to be worked a bit once warmed up, just don't go up into the rev limiter or above redline.
A buddy had a babied monster that just 'wasn't right'.
He noticed the harder he rode it the better it got over some miles. It had never been broken in right and taken for short hops only.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had a Honda a few years back that I raced for 3 seasons. The first 2 in a production class and the bike did road miles as well. 3rd year I converted it to F1 and only raced that year. Each season I rebuilt the motor. After the production/road riding seasons the engine was real average inside. For the F1 seaon I didn't even run the bike in, just 2 quiet laps and full throttle from there. When I stripped then engine at the end of the season it was mint inside. I also ran the same oil for the whole season. The guys at the Castrol lab kept testing samples and kept saying its still OK.

I think at race speed the engines are at operating temp all the time so clearances are closed up and oil pressure is always high.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
all about maintenance. More frequent oil changes, more frequent valve checks/adjustments, chain maintenance,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts