Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 388 Posts

·
Still needs a life.
12,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took up bird photography as a hobby while I was unabe to ride and have been photographing our local eagles since last autumn. I'll post some shots here and see if anyone is interested in the thread.

A juvenile scavanged something off the ground below me and transfered it from its talons to its mouth in mid air. I later found out the "prey" was the left wing of a red-tailed hawk which had gotten taken out by another eagle.

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some photos of an adult diving for a shore bird off the jetty. Look at the three people in the photo. The young girl is the only one who has a clue what is happening.

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
And here are some shots of an eagle landing in a tree above me on the fish hatchery grounds. I prefer action shots over "poser" shots.

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Finally, here are some shots I took from the beach. The eagle probably stole the fish from a gull on the beach, as I never saw it dive into the water. It took the fish from the beach and tried to eat it in mid air. The inflight meal did not work out, so it returned to the beach to finish its meal.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,683 Posts
Thats great stuff Bill, the thought of someone wanting to shoot one of those magestic birds makes my blood boil. Should be an auto 5 year joint time with no good behavior early release. Its kind of wierd, as I am a senior citizen by age my appreciation for God's creatures has grown stronger and stronger. I have even set up a bird feeder in my backyard and we get a kick out of the number of different species of birds that visit. I even put up a nest box and a bird bath. I've always respected the animal kingdom, well, not always because I used to hunt but I finally came to the conclusion it wasn't a fair contest and gave it up. Besides, animals have emotions just like we do and they don't have evilness or political bullshit in their DNA. It was like the time I shot a cottontail rabbit and it screamed like a baby, that was the last time I shot anything. I like shooting guns, but at paper targets and tin cans. As they say, shoot wildlife with a camera, much more satisfying and you can share the photos with others like Bill has done.

·
Still needs a life.
12,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rainy day at the marina (4/26/10)

It was pouring rain when we tracked an eagle to the marina breakwater directly across from the fuel dock. Due to this year's large eagle presence in town, the herons have abandoned their rookery in the trees at the south edge of the marsh. One pair has built a nest not far away on the inner breakwater of the marina. As you can see in photo #1, this is still within the eagles' home range.

Photo #2: The eagles have become urbanized to some extent, as the presence of the dock worker did not bother the eagle in the slightest.

Photo #3: Some gulls buzzed the eagle so close that it ducked, after which it let out some warning cries.

Photo #4: I walked down to the end of the fuel dock and took photos of the eagle perched on the breakwater.....

Photo #5: .....and the heron giving literal meaning to the terms "lying low" and "keeping a low profile."

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,127 Posts
Bird watching something you can do while at home or spend a fortune and go on expeditions...

While younger I was working on pipelines in the evening and the little time I had off I would go for a drive with my cameras..While others would spend their time in the bars blowing money...
Very interesting shots ...and subject...
Be careful you look like a good target (plop)

Hey post lots more , always neat to view wildlife...

Would these eagles be taking over ? pushing out the Natural birds like the herons etc?

We had a well meaning person put a pair of Swans at a small lake and they drove away all the other birds with their territorial nature , until a black lab killed them both...

Nature . is best left alone at times. to do her thing...

Again Great photos..

·
Registered
813 Posts
Good stuff there Bill !
I recently spotted a pair down here in the east bay area off of highway 130
and the only glass i had with me was the 28-70 F2.8 and 12-24 F4 because I was shooting landscapes and flowers , talk about being pissed ! because I
always carry my 70-200 F2.8 and my X1.7 , but not that day :mad:

Truly some thing you don't see too often in the bay area .

·
Premium Member
8,683 Posts
Eagles in the East Bay? Outstanding

·
Still needs a life.
12,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
We have at least six local eagles, possibly more as it is hard to identify them from a distance. I caught the two 1-2 year old juveniles we call "the twins" doing some aerial sparring overhead while I was filling up my pickup.

I always keep my camera in the pickup, and was able to take some "grab" shots. It can be very difficult to pick up the feather details of a large, dark bird when there is backlighting. Sometimes the thrill is just being able to witness and record the event, rather than taking the perfect photo.

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bird watching something you can do while at home or spend a fortune and go on expeditions....
My eagle "hunting grounds" is a stretch of waterfront a little over a mile long and inland about a half mile, all located about five minutes from my house.

·
Still needs a life.
12,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
today's hunt for lunch

I was photographing two bald eagles in poser mode on the pilings south of the ferry dock when one of them took off and dived for something in the water near the beach. The prey turned out to be a bird, which you can just make out in the eagle's talons. You can tell by the bird's feet that it is not a water bird.

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
hunt for lunch, continued

The eagle flew back to the piling its mate was on and ate the bird. Eagles are not into sharing and the second eagle had to relocate to the other piling. If you look closely, you can see the feathers from the carcass blowing in the wind as the eagle eats it.

Sorry for the grain, but the ISO was pumped way up due to the usual bad light.

Disclaimer: any resemblance between these eagles and Mr. & Mrs. Metalhead is purely coincidental.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 388 Posts