Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so it comes down to this.... my bike has been having problems as of late. I have been getting really upset with her and it's been getting to the point of me toying with the idea of selling her and going asian (my friend is going to give me a screaming deal on a 636). However just got off the phone w/ my dealer and they say that after hours of work they were finally able to isolate that the ecu is bad and that is why my bike is running like poop.

Ok my question is could the problems be related directly to the ecu? Could it be due to something else on the bike (ie: a ground short out somewhere?) And if i go ahead and replace the ecu who knows if it will just die again.

So on that note i realize that the ecu shouldn't be that difficult of a replacement job. And that there is no need to pay the 300 something the dealer wants for install etc.

Where can i get a used ecu? I believe i have a 1.6m (For record i have the 02 grey 748s) Any help/ comments ideas?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I've seen ECUs on ebay but I know that there are places that will repair faulty units. I think changing it should just be a plug-in but it may need setting up (and make sure it's got your 'chip' in it).

:)

·
Registered
284 Posts
If they are going to charge you $300 for the labour of replacing the ECU, then they are dreaming. Removing/replacing the ECU involves removing the 4 nuts holding the ECU to the rubber mounts, as well as unplugging the main harness from the ECU. Probably a 10 minute job at the most. You can look on ebay or in the classifieds section for a used ECU. I have one that I believe is OK, and would be willing to let it go for $50 plus shipping. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what is the unit coming off of? how long was it used? why do you "believe" it to be in working condition... IE: is there any reason to think it may not be??

chris-

·
Registered
284 Posts
Got it with a bunch of spares a few years ago. Was told it came off a 2000 996, but since I didn't pull it off I'm not sure of all the details. If it doesn't work, I'll refund you the full price. Just trying to be honest about this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If it's a NEW 16M ecu you are looking for I have a unit in the box that I don't need and will let you have it for $275 including shipping in the US. Comes with a 996 chip or you use your 748 chip. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry not looking to spend over 100 for the ecu... thanks anyways...
chris-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts