Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reading through the DesmoTimes manual regarding the Fuel Injection on my bike.

I came across this table that lists out the bikes/years and their respective computer models.

Apparently the 750/900ss from 99-02 has the 1.5 model, but from 2002+ it's the much improved 5.9 model.

I remember the post made in another thread about how in 99 Ducati apparently recognized that there was a problem with the ECU. Apparently the fix was to replace the stock ECU with the Ducati Performance ECU.

I understand that there are a crap load of sensors and what not, but I'm wondering what it would take to swap to the 5.9 model ECU from the 1.5?

Also, who sells the Ducati Perofrmance ECUs other than the dealerships?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no one?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just tossing out a wild guess here, but I'd think you'd need a complete harness from a 5.9 bike including the sensors, ignition switch and keys, otherwise you'll probably run afoul of the theft prevention system. I would think it'd be cheaper/simpler to find a DP ecu or fit a complete aftermarket system that would allow you to play with the fuel and spark map at will.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
supersparky750 said:
I would think it'd be cheaper/simpler to find a DP ecu or fit a complete aftermarket system that would allow you to play with the fuel and spark map at will.
speaking of which, what are the options for bikes?

I know for cars, not for bikes...lol

·
Registered
235 Posts
depends on how adventurous you're feeling. There's the myecu mention in another current thread, which sounds pretty straight forward. there's also another replacement system from australia whose name escapes me, I'll see if I can find it again when I have time. There's also a product called (unfortunately) Megasquirt which is something of an open source experiment that one might be able to adapt with some engineering. I don't recall if that unit did ignition control as well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
JDuc said:
I'm reading through the DesmoTimes manual regarding the Fuel Injection on my bike.

I came across this table that lists out the bikes/years and their respective computer models.

Apparently the 750/900ss from 99-02 has the 1.5 model, but from 2002+ it's the much improved 5.9 model.

I remember the post made in another thread about how in 99 Ducati apparently recognized that there was a problem with the ECU. Apparently the fix was to replace the stock ECU with the Ducati Performance ECU.

I understand that there are a crap load of sensors and what not, but I'm wondering what it would take to swap to the 5.9 model ECU from the 1.5?

Also, who sells the Ducati Perofrmance ECUs other than the dealerships?

Thanks in advance!
Rather than replace the stock ECU with another slightly modded stock ECU why not just send the ECU to an FIM dealer and have it reflashed. The 1.5M is reflashable, Ive had my 2001 M900 done and short of a custom map its pretty darn good.

To swap from the 1.5 to the 5.9 IMHO would be counter productive as well as cost prohibitive. Is the 5.9 better? Maybe but the tuning applications to the stock 5.9 ECU are short of impossible. With the exception of adjusting the trim. You can however swap the 5.9M for the U59 FIM unit, which Ive done on my M800 racebike. Its so much better, the next step is to finish it on the dyno.

·
Registered
38 Posts
F.I.M. is the answer

Here in Oz we got the fuel injected models in '98. My '98 900 ss has the FIM flashload and it can be altered any time by reflashing. Highly recommended upgrade especially if the engine has been modified. Duane at Fuel Injected Motorcycles is a legend. http://www.fuelinmoto.com.au/

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeloduke said:
Here in Oz we got the fuel injected models in '98. My '98 900 ss has the FIM flashload and it can be altered any time by reflashing. Highly recommended upgrade especially if the engine has been modified. Duane at Fuel Injected Motorcycles is a legend. http://www.fuelinmoto.com.au/
mkay - while I appreciate the options in australia, it doesn't really make much sense at all for me (in America) to send my ECU off to Australia and be without a bike for about a month, ESPECIALLY when I commute on the bike

;)

·
Administrator
6,265 Posts
Jan go to AMS.
They remapp the ECU and give it custom programs.
They did mine, when I open the airbox, cutoff the cats, and put on the DP carbon fiber pipes.

They dyno run it and do the appropriate changes for your bike....

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'm going to take the bike to Elmer Morgan at North texas Cycles, or whatever it's called, and have him check the valves and the rest of it for now.

I need to have the 18k service done anyways...it's something we were going to attempt, as a learning thing, but we're so short on time right now that it's looking like it just won't happen any time soon if we do it all ourselves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts