Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I am Hailwood!
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on taking my bike over to Europe for a spot of touring, I'm a little concious of the 'Fruity' sound of my machine so I will probably switch to my stock pipes instead of Termi's for the trip.
My question is can I simply switch back to the stock ECU to avoid overly rich running or are there are number of tasks to carry out in order to achieve the conversion back to standard?

Thanks.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
with a UK plate, you shouldn't worry too much, and travel with the termis.
local police won't stop you, as they can't harm you anyway.

have a good time.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I plan on taking my bike over to Europe for a spot of touring, I'm a little concious of the 'Fruity' sound of my machine so I will probably switch to my stock pipes instead of Termi's for the trip.
My question is can I simply switch back to the stock ECU to avoid overly rich running or are there are number of tasks to carry out in order to achieve the conversion back to standard?

Thanks.
Since my highsider wrapped the Termis like a tube of toothpaste, i ride with the standard pipes + DP ECU and airbox lid.

Ther bike runs very smooth and and i have the feeling that there is less shaking in the low revs…

My dealer mentioned that quite a few customers run this combination, as it is better than the OEM setup and would cause no problems.

So go ahead and mount your OEM pipes for a check…

Running open Termis with a brit license plate does not help you in a police control…

For example: According to the "codice della strada" in Italy it can cost you up to 300 € and is often combined with a seizure of the bike for 60 days

In Switzerland they are extremely concerned about noise regulations…

The Austrians are robber-knights anyway…;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
@ Muschi: I can only confirm poolagent's comment. He could be very well be hold liable if the emission (acoustic and gaseous) regulations are not respected by his bike in any country. Especially within Europe it is very easy to get a ticket outside of your country of registration. Now if the local police closes an eye it's a different story, but the rules are quite clear.

@ poolagent: running the open-loop setup (without lambda/O2 sensor) with the stock mufflers will harm the coating of the catalytic converter embedded in the initial cone of the mufflers (at least, that's where I suspect it to be placed, just like the Monster, MTS, ...). You can't achieve the Euro3 standard without a catalytic converter & lambda/O2 sensor. The harm to the cat comes from overly rich mixtures in the exhaust ... just what one wants to achieve with the open-loop setup :)

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
@ poolagent: running the open-loop setup (without lambda/O2 sensor) with the stock mufflers will harm the coating of the catalytic converter embedded in the initial cone of the mufflers (at least, that's where I suspect it to be placed, just like the Monster, MTS, ...). You can't achieve the Euro3 standard without a catalytic converter & lambda/O2 sensor. The harm to the cat comes from overly rich mixtures in the exhaust ... just what one wants to achieve with the open-loop setup :)
I know what you mean… The catalytic converters in the stock exhaust could suffer from using the open loop setup as i run it at the moment.

But using the OEM ECU in combination with a O2 eliminator and a PC3 or just the fat duc manipulator would also cause harm…

Funnily the guys from Ducati Saarland often go for this combination when tuning their customers bikes…

My dealer said, that it is not neccessarily harmful to the catalytic converter
if one adds "enough" air at the intake

Concerning Euro3 standard… you can't achieve it with the DP ECU + Termis or what so ever… but it's legal in Europe

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
AND: a mixture which damages the CAT can clog it, possibly even leading to engine damage. So, if you want to run the DP ECU, or any system that richens up the mixture, then you really need to run without a CAT to be safe, and if you want to run the CAT, then you need to retain the Lambda sensor and closed loop system.

The DP ECU is very rich. You MAY be able to get away with the Manipulator long term, but the DP ECU is much more risky running long term with a CAT.

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
Just put dB-killers and them, and you're OK (at least here and anywhere I go with my Swiss plates).

Cops and other countries can't fine you if your bike is legal in the country where it's registered.

For example, two of my bikes (LeMans and SS) have no blinkers, which is legal in parts of Switzerland, but not in other parts nor most of the EU, but the police there can't say anything because it is legal where it is registered.

Tom

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I don't want to sound stupid, but where is the catalytic converter in the stock exhaust system. Is it in the cans?

·
I am Hailwood!
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AND: a mixture which damages the CAT can clog it, possibly even leading to engine damage. So, if you want to run the DP ECU, or any system that richens up the mixture, then you really need to run without a CAT to be safe, and if you want to run the CAT, then you need to retain the Lambda sensor and closed loop system.

The DP ECU is very rich. You MAY be able to get away with the Manipulator long term, but the DP ECU is much more risky running long term with a CAT.
How about if I just put the regular ECU back in? would I still need to install the Lambda or can I get away with it?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Regular ECU with no lambda will be recognized as a bad lambda sensor and will put the ECU into "limp" mode. That is different with each bike and model. I don't know the intracacies of the default limp mode of the GT, but it would be designed for the stock exhaust, so poolagent is probably correct that it will be too lean.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Lots of good info above, but maybe this is being made too complicated?

As poolagent said, plenty of bikes are running around with the DP ECU and stock pipes, with or without the drilled airbox lid. Mine ran like that (without the drilled lid, and later with it) for a year and a half and was fine, except for being a *tiny* bit rich when cold. Very minor issue - if you whacked the throttle 100% open before the bike was totally warmed up, you could induce about a 0.25-s stumble.

It might be necessary to fiddle with the air bleeds or possibly the idle trim setting to get a clean idle, but other than that I wouldn't have any reservations about running stock cans with the DP ECU. It will work fine. The OP just wants to take his bike to Europe and not get in trouble. I doubt he cares if the cats get mucked up a little.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts