Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 907ie engine (which shares it's P8 ECU with the 851/888/916).
It's has a single pulse ridge on the cam gear shaft and has 4 ridges on the fly wheel.
Can anyone point me to information describing how the generated pulses relate to the engine timing ?
This information will help me set up and test the new ECU that will be fitted to my 900ie Elefant.

Cheers all,
P

·
Registered
275 Posts
The 4 posts on the flywheel tell the brain where the crank is in a cycle (Reference position). The brain knows where the crank is but it could be any one of 4 possible locations in a single rotation. When the single post on the cam pulley goes past its' sensor, the brain then knows where the crank is in the combustion cycle ( Sync Sensor). Once the engine is running, it does not actually need the sync sensor anymore to operate successfully.
I hope that explains it well enough

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yuh, I know how it operates and all that but I want to know is the angles TDC, BDC, front, rear, combustion/exhaust cycle blah blah so I can simulate the pulses on the bench for testing the ECU.
For example I know that for a complete combustion cycle there will be 8 crank pulses and 1 cam pulse but what is their timing with respect to the power stroke ?
I think I know the cam pulse is about 45 of crank from front TDC, but BTDC or ATDC ? compression or exhaust cycle ? I'll have to open a rocker cover to see.

:)
P

1 - 3 of 3 Posts