Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All posts seem to be filled with terms and nomenclature beyond the basics. I have a 2001 900ss. ECU may be bad. Please help with some 101 questions:

1. If I buy a brand new ECU for a 2001 900ss, do I still have to take it to a dealer?
2. Why the references to red and black keys regarding the ECU? Are 2001 keys coded to ECU?
3. Is it easier/better to spend on an aftermarket ECU. Recommendations? And if I buy one is it good to go once received.
4. Can an ECU be fixed for less than the above options?

There are probably more questions but this should help steer me. Thnx

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,363 Posts
  1. To do what? What can they do that you cannot? We can't answer the question properly without more details from you.
  2. Red keys are used to program the immobilizer code on a black key. Modern key cloning techniques eliminate the necessity of the red key as long as you have a working black key to clone. Keys are coded to the ECU or dash (which is coded to the ECU, so in the end the effect is the same). Your bike may not have had the red/black key thing going on. I don't remember what year that started.
  3. What is an aftermarket ECU? Never heard of such a thing. A replacement ECU, yes. But it will be of the OEM type i.e. Magneti Marelli.
  4. You can flash an ECU with the required info to run (maps) if it is not physically damaged and it is the correct type for your motorcycle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
  1. To do what? What can they do that you cannot? We can't answer the question properly without more details from you.
  2. Red keys are used to program the immobilizer code on a black key. Modern key cloning techniques eliminate the necessity of the red key as long as you have a working black key to clone. Keys are coded to the ECU or dash (which is coded to the ECU, so in the end the effect is the same). Your bike may not have had the red/black key thing going on. I don't remember what year that started.
  3. What is an aftermarket ECU? Never heard of such a thing. A replacement ECU, yes. But it will be of the OEM type i.e. Magneti Marelli.
  4. You can flash an ECU with the required info to run (maps) if it is not physically damaged and it is the correct type for your motorcycle.
Previous posts described where the bike will not turn over the fuel supply issue may be the ECU, once the pump, Crank sensor, and grounding issues have been delt with. If the ECU is receiving the right info/signal but not engaging the pump. That is my current suspicion.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi Alan -- I have 2 -- for a 2001-02 900ss. I know one works, and I have the other as a spare. When I know both work, I'd be willing to sell one. There is no red and black key with these earlier bikes. For my 2004 999, it did have the red/black key ecu situation. These older supersports are basic. You can replace the ignition switch with a rocker from Pep Boys/Canadian Tire if you get the wiring correct. Easy to steal, but simple!

·
Premium Member
5,436 Posts
1. No... unless you can not figure it out or want software to diagnose things. There is no reset.

2. Does not apply, you are free to use any color key in the rainbow you please.

3. Aftermarket ecu does not exist for the 15m these were flash loaded to get a performance map or replaced with a ducati performance ecu which was the same as oem but a different map.

4. hard to say, if it is a flash (download) then probably. If it is the hardware itself then probably not. The air pressure sensor is in the ecu so that is what fails the most on these. not something that fits your issue.

My bet is it is not the ecu.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
If you get a replacement ECU make sure it matches what is in your bike.
I expect given the year it will be A8. You can see this after you remove the ECU.
The one that 900ssjs has will be A8.
It is a straight swap, nothing else to do.

Years ago I wrote the attached - see the diagram as well.
Ducati 900SSie start run wiring diagram.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
It is possible to get stand alone (Aftermarket) ECU such as MoTeC or PE....but very expensive and takes considerable skill and knowledge to set up. IMO much better off to get some help and correct the issues you have verses starting over from zero with a standalone ECU.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Can you describe the issues you are having please.
These ECUs and bikes are relatively simple thankfully.
No immobiliser, no special keys, no digital dash etc.
Not knowing details that you will need to provide it could be as simple as a crap earth/ground.

Simple info like the headlight does or does not come on, you can hear the fuel pump prime or not, it cranks but does not fire etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Alan -- I have 2 -- for a 2001-02 900ss. I know one works, and I have the other as a spare. When I know both work, I'd be willing to sell one. There is no red and black key with these earlier bikes. For my 2004 999, it did have the red/black key ecu situation. These older supersports are basic. You can replace the ignition switch with a rocker from Pep Boys/Canadian Tire if you get the wiring correct. Easy to steal, but simple!
Thanks. Let me know how much.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Can you describe the issues you are having please.
These ECUs and bikes are relatively simple thankfully.
No immobiliser, no special keys, no digital dash etc.
Not knowing details that you will need to provide it could be as simple as a crap earth/ground.

Simple info like the headlight does or does not come on, you can hear the fuel pump prime or not, it cranks but does not fire etc.
Sorry for the lack of info.

I'll try to begin at the start...never had ignition problems. Changed out brake fluid and new rear pads, so I set out for a short ride to test. Got a fuel light for a second or two on the way back. No problem as I was about 2 minutes from a gas station. Another fuel flicker then off. Then no engine, no response, coasted to a stop, cursing myself for not checking fuel level prior.
Got gas delivered and would not turn over. Used some starting fluid at intakes and it tried to start but no gas. Brought home and bypassed tank with another source and a squeeze bulb to develop pressure. Started and ran (although slightly rough due to my hand pressure squeezes).

Thought maybe the fuel pump wasn't functioning well or the fuel level indicator signal had burned out some connection. (All tank internals are new, lines, pump, screen, filter, tank cleaned). Removed all from tank and everything looks fine, pump runs. Battery is new, relays new, fuses okay. Ordered a crank speed sensor and also a new pump just in case. Waiting on these.

Whats frustrating is the workshop manual is little help. Wondering if there is a reference for volt and resistance readings for all the electrical lines and connections (?)

Crank speed sensor connection (1,2,3) wires in image. with key in on position: 1.57v on white #1, 2.58v on brown #2, none on #3. No resistance reading between pins on sensor cable (per Punch advice/instructions). Will check volts while cranking soon (1.3 volts ac between pin 1 and 2 of Crank sensor while cranking.)

I was asking about ECU info so that if I have to go that route I want to get info now.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes please. Thanks

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Posting rather than rereading my info.
Check the connector about 9 inches up from the kickstand for corrosion.
As a quick test while you have it apart, wrap copper wire around all three pins like figure of 8.
Then try to start.
Yes the manual is crap for electrical.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Sorry for the lack of info.

I'll try to begin at the start...never had ignition problems. Changed out brake fluid and new rear pads, so I set out for a short ride to test. Got a fuel light for a second or two on the way back. No problem as I was about 2 minutes from a gas station. Another fuel flicker then off. Then no engine, no response, coasted to a stop, cursing myself for not checking fuel level prior.
Got gas delivered and would not turn over. Used some starting fluid at intakes and it tried to start but no gas. Brought home and bypassed tank with another source and a squeeze bulb to develop pressure. Started and ran (although slightly rough due to my hand pressure squeezes).

Thought maybe the fuel pump wasn't functioning well or the fuel level indicator signal had burned out some connection. (All tank internals are new, lines, pump, screen, filter, tank cleaned). Removed all from tank and everything looks fine, pump runs. Battery is new, relays new, fuses okay. Ordered a crank speed sensor and also a new pump just in case. Waiting on these.

Whats frustrating is the workshop manual is little help. Wondering if there is a reference for volt and resistance readings for all the electrical lines and connections (?)

Crank speed sensor connection (1,2,3) wires in image. with key in on position: 1.57v on white #1, 2.58v on brown #2, none on #3. No resistance reading between pins on sensor cable (per Punch advice/instructions). Will check volts while cranking soon (1.3 volts ac between pin 1 and 2 of Crank sensor while cranking.)

I was asking about ECU info so that if I have to go that route I want to get info now.
I doubt it's your ECU,
Does the pump prime when you turn the key? If not it's more likely a failed relay.
You know the injectors are working because you got it to start and run, all be it poorly without adequate fuel pressure but that tells me it's either a poor electrical connection or a dodgy relay.

You have checked all the fuel lines for correct routing? no kinks?

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Another thing to check is the fuel lines.
Lift the tank then lower it carefully so that the fuel lines are not pinched.
I have had this happen resulting in fuel starvation/low pressure so insufficient fuel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another thing to check is the fuel lines.
Lift the tank then lower it carefully so that the fuel lines are not pinched.
I have had this happen resulting in fuel starvation/low pressure so insufficient fuel.
Minor update: still waiting on the new crank sensor, but thought I would inspect the current one.
Looks like the sensor end is a little nicked. Put a feeler gauge in and could only get a 0.610 gauge in if I loosen the bolt to the sensor. The spacer plate looks to be a 0.8mm and I feel a 1.0mm should have been installed to establish at least 0.6 or more air gap.

Maybe this tweaked the sensor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts