Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've acquired this new ECU was wondering which models it is compatible with. Was told a 04 or 05 ST4s. Came with a new DP race kit with pipes and air filter.

PN# 96514904B

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From a quick search...looks like a 5AM unit. Definitely the ST4's.
Where does one search? It is out of a 964446043 DP kit.
I'm sure the pipes will fit my 03 ST4s but not sure if the ECU would be compatible.

·
Super Moderator
5,365 Posts
I see what your asking now. Sorry...I was a bit confused.

Stick is going though something similar. You might be able to glean some info from his posts with Punch. Looks like he is trying to swap out his 59 ECU for a 5AM. You're going the other way. I don't think a direct swap will work...you have to remap the ECU.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see what your asking now. Sorry...I was a bit confused.

Stick is going though something similar. You might be able to glean some info from his posts with Punch. Looks like he is trying to swap out his 59 ECU for a 5AM. You're going the other way. I don't think a direct swap will work...you have to remap the ECU.
I purchased the kit for the pipes so I will be up for selling it if I can't use. So I guess an 03 has a 59 ECU then.

Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
5,365 Posts
That's my understanding.

I wonder if Stick would be interested in the ECU? May want to pm him.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Yes, I may be interested. I had a set back yesterday when I connected the black alligator clip to battery +. Now I cannot seem to connect to my "new" 5AM ECU.

So I need to get my diag set-up connected to my 'Guzzi to see if my diag wiring is still OK.

The good news is that the latest map that's in my 5AM still starts my 2003 ST4s right up. The latest map is from an S4R Monster (996). But there are weird things going on, like the fan runs as soon as U turn the key on. And I don't think the barometric pressure is valid any more. The newer ST's have baro. in the dash, and that reading comes via the CAN bus.

So yes, 2001 thru 2003 ST4s have a 59M in them. Chuckracer claims his 2005 is a 59M (and he says the user manual also states that).
But I got maps from a gent in the EU yesterday from a 2005 ST4s with a 5AM ECU.

I need to sort out my hardware connectivity to see if I "need" another 5AM or not.
As I said, mine still works, but I cannot make IAW5xReader, IAW5xWriter or IAWDiag work on it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Magneti Marelli has a list of ECU motorcycle applications for specific models but not years and states ST4s and 996R come with 59M while ST3s comes with 5AM. This ECU I acquired also has a number of 2218PA13. I sent these numbers to a dealer near me in hopes they could identify it to specific model and year. That list also states a ST4 and 996 has a 16M while the 996SPS has a P8.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
it's a 5am for a 2004 - 2005 st4s (non abs). the abs ecu has a different speedo drive factor.

it will work in an earlier st4s, but as above because the 04-05 model has the air pressure sensor in the dash and it talks to the ecu via can bus there won't be an air pressure input. ime it may make it use more fuel than it would otherwise.

the s4r ecu runs the fans all the time as the st4s only has 1 fan. the fault logic is run the fan constantly in case it overheats.

the only two 5am files that will work correctly in the early st4s is the above 04/05 ecu (with sensor input fault) or the s4r based file i paid nathan (impulsive duc) to modify for me. it still has a logging fault to do with the variation in how the starter is activated, but it is irrelevant.

5am replacement of 59m started with the new 2004 my models - 749s, st3, etc.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok, great info. So will be up for selling this ECU since it appears it's a 5AM for a ST4s from mlukason's help and bradblack's. Where did you guys find this information?? Is it an actual race ecu? Have an email sent out to local dealer hoping they can shed some light on it.
Thanks everyone.

Paul

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it's a 5am for a 2004 - 2005 st4s (non abs). the abs ecu has a different speedo drive factor.

it will work in an earlier st4s, but as above because the 04-05 model has the air pressure sensor in the dash and it talks to the ecu via can bus there won't be an air pressure input. ime it may make it use more fuel than it would otherwise.

the s4r ecu runs the fans all the time as the st4s only has 1 fan. the fault logic is run the fan constantly in case it overheats.

the only two 5am files that will work correctly in the early st4s is the above 04/05 ecu (with sensor input fault) or the s4r based file i paid nathan (impulsive duc) to modify for me. it still has a logging fault to do with the variation in how the starter is activated, but it is irrelevant.

5am replacement of 59m started with the new 2004 my models - 749s, st3, etc.
Wow, didn't realize who you were before I looked at your info.
You definitely know your stuff. Do you think this is a race ecu?

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
it's not a race ecu. race ecu is one of those really fucking stupid terms people come up with because race is allegedly good and sounds cool.

"yeah mate, it's got a race ecu mate". fucktards.

it's an ecu with mapping to suit the open mufflers and open airbox lid supplied in the kit. often not all that different to the mapping in the oem ecu, sometimes quite a lot.

·
Super Moderator
5,365 Posts
Ok, great info. So will be up for selling this ECU since it appears it's a 5AM for a ST4s from mlukason's help and bradblack's. Where did you guys find this information?? Is it an actual race ecu? Have an email sent out to local dealer hoping they can shed some light on it.
Thanks everyone.

Paul

Yeah...bradblack's the real deal. He knows this stuff from experience.
Me...I'm just some "guy with tools" that can Google. :laugh:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah...bradblack's the real deal. He knows this stuff from experience.
Me...I'm just some "guy with tools" that can Google.
Don't sell yourself short, I'm in the same boat I think, lol!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it's not a race ecu. race ecu is one of those really fucking stupid terms people come up with because race is allegedly good and sounds cool.

"yeah mate, it's got a race ecu mate". fucktards.

it's an ecu with mapping to suit the open mufflers and open airbox lid supplied in the kit. often not all that different to the mapping in the oem ecu, sometimes quite a lot.
I hear ya. I'm just going to tuck this kit away and maybe I'll come up with a 2nd ST4s and slap this stuff on. Already have the older DP pipes on my 03 and it runs great without the open air box and assume it has the stock ecu.
Oh say, did I tell you I have a race kit in the attic?

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That list is wrong regarding Multistrada 1000DS they use 5AM - 2003 a 5AMHW103 and then changed to 5AMHW610 at some point 04/05 onwards.
Yes, it appears it is from 2011 and was subject to correction. Good of you to post those facts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts