Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I was just wondering when my genuine ECU would fail, or die, what alternatives there are?...Meanwhile between year 2002 and now there must be a lot of experience(s) what other ecu 's will do, wich are propably easier/cheaper to get than the genuine one (if still available???)
No race ecu specs or mapping ever done, just genuine.

Thanks for answering in advance!

Mark/Netherlands

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
That should be a marelli 5.9, and later 5am may work if you were forced to but easiest will be to find a 5.9 and install your map into it. The biggest thing to know about these is they can be very fragile if you run power down a ground line, other than that is is likely your most reliable option.

Guzzidiag will allow you to download your map and save it if you had a failure and with the file backed up you should be able to upload into another 5.9 your map.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
the problem is it was a single year model and there's no 5am file to suit, so you'd have to make one up to have the more reliable 5am work in it. but the 59m don't give many issues in monsters. you could use a microtec or nemsis, but finding a file to use in it would be hard - no one would have bothered back in the day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys for the fast replies!
So I'd better copy this software already you're saying, for future problems ?

Thanx again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm wondering why you expect future problems.
It's just because the ecu is already 19 years old....and replacements are hard to find, or almost as expensive as the bike itself....
Saw on youtube a ducati with a broken down rectifier, following a blown ecu!...$$$$

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
Be aware of the power and grounds on your bike and you are not likely to have a problem. If you are worried back up a copy of what you have and then buy a used 5.9 just in case, know that if you do it wrong you can brick a ecu so go slow and careful and you will be fine. I do not see many bad ecu's but so far the 16m and 1.5 are the most prone to fail on their own and the 5.9 and 5am are mot likely to fail if owners are screwing with electrics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Be aware of the power and grounds on your bike and you are not likely to have a problem. If you are worried back up a copy of what you have and then buy a used 5.9 just in case, know that if you do it wrong you can brick a ecu so go slow and careful and you will be fine. I do not see many bad ecu's but so far the 16m and 1.5 are the most prone to fail on their own and the 5.9 and 5am are mot likely to fail if owners are screwing with electrics.
Hi Ducvet!

Thanks for your replies, and suggestions!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts