Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

2301 - 2320 of 2400 Posts

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
/----/ Why is that even there?

Reminded me of Watkins Glen, they lined it with Armco to keep the Nascar racers on it.

Back in the '80s, turn 1 at Mosport was lined with Armco .

I watched a guy go into it on a bevel 900SS in '88 or '89.

I was chasing him down, and he got into 1 too hot and laid it down. He slid under it between 2 poles, but the bike lost the forks and front wheel and almost folded in half.:(

They back filled the area behind the turn in the early '90s and pusher the Armco w-a-y back. Lots of run-off now.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
People do track days at Thompson and say they like it, all I remember is "WALL!", "ANOTHER WALL!" does that come with experience? those who never crashed are not afraid of Armco and tire walls ?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
People do track days at Thompson and say they like it, all I remember is "WALL!", "ANOTHER WALL!" does that come with experience? those who never crashed are not afraid of Armco and tire walls ?
Some of the high risk corners were padded, some of the wall gave you a good amount of run off before you hit. Some areas a hard crash would really suck.

In the end I think it depends on whether you view track days as race practice or just a place to have fun (the school hosting this more or less said this word for word). Tamworth wasn't built to be a moto racetrack, but then again neither is the Cherohala, Dragon or the BRP.

Id rather not go down at all, but the Armco isn't as intimidating as this...

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
I think you would be amazed at how far you can slide even at not-fast speeds.
Yup, all depends on gear, some things you wear are like frame sliders, slippery, I went down at 35 last year (figured out from GPS tracking) and slid a lot further than I ever expected, I've had shorter sliders on the track, but leather seems to have a little grip and I was wearing MX gear this time, literally felt like ice!

·
Bon Vivant
10,212 Posts
Some of the high risk corners were padded, some of the wall gave you a good amount of run off before you hit. Some areas a hard crash would really suck.

In the end I think it depends on whether you view track days as race practice or just a place to have fun (the school hosting this more or less said this word for word). Tamworth wasn't built to be a moto racetrack, but then again neither is the Cherohala, Dragon or the BRP.

Id rather not go down at all, but the Armco isn't as intimidating as this...

I dont know about you guys but I ride a 3rd as hard (even on my fastest road rides at those places) as I do at a track day. And who wants to spend 200 bucks for a trackday that is littered with areas of extreme danger, the whole idea of a trackday for me is it should be much safer than road riding and you can push yourself without those dangers. Unfortunately a lot of tracks aren't safe or they don't get the maintenance they should to keep riders safe. A lot of tracks are managed by people who are car focused and they dont stop to think about how debris off track or a gully washed out around the edge from last nights rain might cause severe problems for a motorcycle - much less armco on the outsides of the corners.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I dont know about you guys but I ride a 3rd as hard (even on my fastest road rides at those places) as I do at a track day. And who wants to spend 200 bucks for a trackday that is littered with areas of extreme danger
I would love to see you on a track then. I followed you (few bikes back) on the Chero last year enroute to our excellent lunch at the Tellico Grains Bakery. I couldn't fathom 3x that.

FWIW I spent over $600 to go to ECM for extreme danger riding, the track day seems a bargain. 0:)

BTW... @Yorik says hi!

·
Super Moderator
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,314
Mike I bet you'd spooge your leathers if you rode this track, it's dreamy and feels plenty wide where it needs to be. My new Tuono is scheduled to arrive "late July - early August" just in time to break it in before Palmer in late August and a repeat at Tamworth in September.:)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Mike I bet you'd spooge your leathers if you rode this track, it's dreamy and feels plenty wide where it needs to be. My new Tuono is scheduled to arrive "late July - early August" just in time to break it in before Palmer in late August and a repeat at Tamworth in September.:)

Your new WHAA?!?

2004 Ducati ST4s ABS “Senna”
2002 Yamaha FZ1

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
oh, just the new Aprilia Tuono Factory Summit Attack. I mean they're making 25 of them so really nothing special.
:)
Have you seen my Ape?
Have you seen another like it, all carbon Erie edition? Neither have I!
Seems they are good at making small runs of "what's in the parts bin and what are we gonna call it?"

·
Super Moderator
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,320
@Dmitry, true dat
@Chuck, yeah, I'm in a serious existential quandary, the new SF is SO sexy:surprise:, makes the Tuono look almost frumpy by comparison (and obviously sleek sexiness is my number one concern when it comes to bikes, haha). But I don't think I want to wait until March and be a beta tester, and by all accounts it's hard to beat the Tuono when it comes to handling. It felt perfect and seems an excellent city/track hooligan companion to Achtung Baby. So many bikes, so little time/money...

2301 - 2320 of 2400 Posts