Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and found some good info on changing bearings in the hub, but nothing really on servicing it.

What IS the correct service for the hub? Besides removing it, cleaning out debris from hollow SSSA, and greasing outside of hub?

It's the non-sealed needle bearings inside I'm not sure about.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I serviced mine this season. My Multi turned 30k so I figured it was due. I had previous experience with a sss hub on my old NT650. I did take some pics I'd like to share but I can't find them at the moment (will keep looking).
Basically remove the hub and place it in a pan and thoroughly clean the unsealed needle bearing and dry it. Then pack with fresh grease. A local well respected Ducati dealership owner recommended at least 500 degree synthetic. I used Lucas red n tacky.

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
so the eccentric hub's on 1200's you'll find are "not user serviceable" according to Ducati. That's probably why you're having trouble finding info... the bearings are sealed and while I've not tried disassembling I think you'd need to press them out... and from what I've read you cannot easily replace the bearings (they're custom'ish parts).

So... while anything is possible, Ducati have made it very difficult to service the hub. While you might be inclined to accuse Ducati of greed (make us buy $750 hub instead of $20 bearings)... if a non-pro assembles the hub wrong then it's a pretty huge safety issue (death and dismemberment sort of safety issue) - so it might be more of a safety and risk of litigation issue than simple greed.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so the eccentric hub's on 1200's you'll find are "not user serviceable" according to Ducati. That's probably why you're having trouble finding info... the bearings are sealed and while I've not tried disassembling I think you'd need to press them out... and from what I've read you cannot easily replace the bearings (they're custom'ish parts).

So... while anything is possible, Ducati have made it very difficult to service the hub. While you might be inclined to accuse Ducati of greed (make us buy $750 hub instead of $20 bearings)... if a non-pro assembles the hub wrong then it's a pretty huge safety issue (death and dismemberment sort of safety issue) - so it might be more of a safety and risk of litigation issue than simple greed.
There's actually a few threads on repairing the un-serviceable hub. With pointers on how to remove the bearings and where to get their replacements. My question though is about servicing the axle I guess. It's called for in the 15k service, but I have't seen much about it detail wise. The service manual appears to just have you grease the axle (with "Grease B") and reinstall it.

I was looking for some elaboration, best practices, etc. There's no word about cleaning it.

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
While you have the axle out, you will see the big end bearing is easily cleanable (for lack of a better term). It will become a routine maint. item for me to remove the hub just to clean the cavity! Not trying to be disrespectful in any way but the hub is definitely serviceable. Ducati is going to say it's not becuase they want to sell you a new unit and there is the liability issue.
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/6823769-post20.html
Talk to any tech, as I did, and they will tell you that bearing should be re-greased. For the life of me I can't find my pics to show I did it. Use a solvent that will not swell the seal, and a tooth brush or similar and clean all the old out and repack. I, for one, can not simply afford to buy a new hub when the time comes, so I will do everything in my power to make the original one last. The other bearing nearest the chain is sealed and not greasable.

It really is as simple as cleaning and regreasing a bearing...

Here's a vid to show you the process (not mine). One thing I do not recommend is pounding the hub back in with a mallet. If you have a small wedge to open the swingarm cavity a little, it'll slide in easily.
And I used anti-seize around the hub, not grease.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know; I shudder when I see those guys pounding that hub back in. Just spread the gap a little.

I had watched that video, he completely skipped the part I'm actaully looking for, the regrease LOL. But its an OK video to see what the parts are for removing hub.

I think the key is going to be finding a "happy" solvent to clean the needle bearings.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I used WD40, a toothbrush and patients. Then a final quick spray down with Maxima contact cleaner. Always kept the hub tilted so those liquids never reached the sealed bearing at the other end.
EDIT: I used compressed air as well to blow out old grease.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used WD40, a toothbrush and patients. Then a final quick spray down with Maxima contact cleaner. Always kept the hub tilted so those liquids never reached the sealed bearing at the other end.
EDIT: I used compressed air as well to blow out old grease.
I like it. Appreciate the input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts