Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found what should be a pretty good deal on eBay, ($250 shipped) that is if it is OEM like they advertised it. I ordered it before I had the concern that it might not be OEM, I should be receiving it later this week and will know for sure then.

The two things that make me think it is not OEM (so probably a Chinese plastic piece) is that it is advertised as "BRAND NEW" and it also doesn't seem to have any graphics on it.

Here is the description and pictures.

NEW Ducati 748 916 996 998 94 02 yellow and white Rear Tail Fairing Cowl
***Brand New***
I'm selling an OEM monoposto sport tail cowl in yellow and white from a Ducati 748. Should also fit 916 996 998 94 02 in this superbike series.

In this last pic I would assume you would be able to see the Ducati stickers inside the tail saying Gross weight, tire pressure, etc.

Can anyone tell one way or the other?

What should I do if it does turn out not to be OEM? If it fits and matches the factory paint I'm fine using it, I'll just order the OEM graphics. In that case I'd contact the seller and maybe ask for $100 back (I paid $250 shipped).

·
Registered
961 Posts
No grapics may be a giveaway. Easy to tell once it arrives. A Chinese piece will not have the 2 tailight bracket mounting points moulded in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No grapics may be a giveaway. Easy to tell once it arrives. A Chinese piece will not have the 2 tailight bracket mounting points moulded in.
Yea that's what I figured. I went ahead and ordered decals from srsigndesign.com and a sargent mono seat from a member on here. Hopefully the seat works out, if it's not OEM I definitely think I need to get some cash back or just return it if they don't agree to that.

Mono tails are not easy to find though, I saw one just show up in the FS section on here with some minor damage.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which bikes had the tail with wide number plates like this one vs the narrow number plates and a thicker yellow line on top of the tail?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which bikes had the tail with wide number plates like this one vs the narrow number plates and a thicker yellow line on top of the tail?
From Googling it seems like the 916 was the one with narrower number plates.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
Can guarantee you it is not a "new" OEM. Paint is wrong. Either it's a factory part with a respray or it's aftermarket. Underside shots would tell us which.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I wouldn't knock it until it arrives...I've seen a few "Chinese" 999 fairings and they are dam nice. Of course they fudged the front fender Corse shield and the rear cowl, but fitment is excellent and paint is really nice.
My OEM 999 nose came w/o inserts..... but you can always buy the OEM mesh or TPO mesh inserts...if it fits well why not use it?
If the vendor can tell what paint system they used you can always throw on another coat of clear, which you'll need to do anyway after the new decals are laid out.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Look at his feedbacks, he has 100% pos. feeds on over 400 so I would tend to think it is OEM, if you paied w. Pay pal you'll get your $ back if it isn't so you should be OK no matter what.
I personally wouldn't care if it came from Bologna or not, as long as it's perfect I'd be fine with it but I know others don't see things my way at times.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Can guarantee you it is not a "new" OEM. Paint is wrong. Either it's a factory part with a respray or it's aftermarket. Underside shots would tell us which.
What about the paint seems wrong to you? Not disagreeing, I have no experience with mono tails.

EDIT: I think I see it now, the number plates continue all the way to the seat hole where on the OEM the number panel section paint squares off.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Look at his feedbacks, he has 100% pos. feeds on over 400 so I would tend to think it is OEM, if you paied w. Pay pal you'll get your $ back if it isn't so you should be OK no matter what.
I personally wouldn't care if it came from Bologna or not, as long as it's perfect I'd be fine with it but I know others don't see things my way at times.
Their feedback score is what got me to buy some readily; upon further examination though they have an ebay store selling childrens books and learning materials for autistic children, seems they are just selling off a few random moto accessories.

I really don't have a problem with using Chinese fairings if they look good. I do have a problem with paying OEM prices for a used Chinese fairing sold as OEM. If it turns out to be other than OEM I will just expect a partial refund.

I paid $250, here is a member on here selling a perfect mono tail fairing on here for $100.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/129-parts-accessories/136379-fs-748-916-996-998-fairings.html

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn't knock it until it arrives...I've seen a few "Chinese" 999 fairings and they are dam nice. Of course they fudged the front fender Corse shield and the rear cowl, but fitment is excellent and paint is really nice.
My OEM 999 nose came w/o inserts..... but you can always buy the OEM mesh or TPO mesh inserts...if it fits well why not use it?
If the vendor can tell what paint system they used you can always throw on another coat of clear, which you'll need to do anyway after the new decals are laid out.
As long as it looks right I'll use it. I will expect a partial refund however if it isn't OEM. See my above reply with a link to a user selling a Chinese tail fairing for $100 versus the $250 I paid for this one.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
I do have a problem with paying OEM prices for a used Chinese fairing sold as OEM. If it turns out to be other than OEM I will just expect a partial refund.

I paid $250, here is a member on here selling a perfect mono tail fairing on here for $100.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/129-parts-accessories/136379-fs-748-916-996-998-fairings.html
That link is my listing. To clarify, the $100 tail is clearly described as Chinese made. (There is another OEM tail with scuffs in the same ad). The aftermarket one does look surprisingly good, but certainly not equal quality to OEM.

Regarding your initial purchase, $250 is about $100 less than the typical going rate for a factory monoposto tail w/number plates in prime condition. Good reason to check such ads and sellers thoroughly before committing.

Just so you know, if you choose to pursue it, the eBay seller will only be required to refund the item price. He has almost no incentive to "settle". You will still wind up eating the shipping both ways, which I imagine could be $70+. A couple years ago I bought a left side lower which was supposedly "factory original". Turned out to be a poor quality, pale yellow repaint and shipping to and from the Canadian seller meant I would have to drop close to $100 in shipping to get back $75 or whatever it was.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That link is my listing. To clarify, the $100 tail is clearly described as Chinese made. (There is another OEM tail with scuffs in the same ad). The aftermarket one does look surprisingly good, but certainly not equal quality to OEM.

Regarding your initial purchase, $250 is about $100 less than the typical going rate for a factory monoposto tail w/number plates in prime condition. Good reason to check such ads and sellers thoroughly before committing.

Just so you know, if you choose to pursue it, the eBay seller will only be required to refund the item price. He has almost no incentive to "settle". You will still wind up eating the shipping both ways, which I imagine could be $70+. A couple years ago I bought a left side lower which was supposedly "factory original". Turned out to be a poor quality, pale yellow repaint and shipping to and from the Canadian seller meant I would have to drop close to $100 in shipping to get back $75 or whatever it was.
Yeah I should of been more clear, I was just pointing out that if this is a Chinese tail that I receive it would be a little overpriced compared to their value online- including your add for a Chinese tail at $100.

Hopefully this is an OEM tail and just has been resprayed (although apparently somewhat incorrectly) The item was originally priced at $300 buy it now but they also had the option to "Make an Offer" and I offered $250 shipped.

·
Registered
140 Posts
In my opinion it is not an OEM tail. The mounting holes for the seat pan don't match. Most likely a painted aftermarket piece.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
In my opinion it is not an OEM tail. The mounting holes for the seat pan don't match. Most likely a painted aftermarket piece.
You're right. Didn't even look at the mounting holes.

I would see if you void the sale and abort the shipping entirely. That's absolutely not an OEM tail.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You're right. Didn't even look at the mounting holes.

I would see if you void the sale and abort the shipping entirely. That's absolutely not an OEM tail.
Comparing it to the pictures someone else posted in here of their OEM tail in here the only difference I see is the furthest back (towards the brake lights, seat mount) Holes seem lower on the piece I ordered. Is that what you are referring to?

It's probably too late to void the shipping at this point, should be delivered today or tomorrow (was shipped cross country USPS, 9 days ugh). Hopefully I can make it work as I am eager to see this project finished.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mounting/securing the seat latch/tailight bracket is going to be the difficult part.
That's what I'm worried about.

Does anyone have a picture of how they have fabricated the mounting hardware (tail light, latch) on the underside of a Chinese fairing?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 36 Posts