Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall seeing a thread some time ago which referred to alterations which allowed a fairing to be removed in one piece? Searched but nothing found.

I've just tried and failed to remove the fairing on my ST4. Apparently it requires starting at the top, removing the mirrors, and working down!!:eek: So the mechanic explained to me.

Surely there has to be a simpler way. Any ideas?

Cheers
Winston

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
The ST4 uses the older style and you will need to purchase LT's Dzus bracket.
If you look at the parts list (found on www.ducati.com) for the newer ST models, you will see that the side fairings are the exact same as the older side fairings, but.......you have to cut off the top tab and trim the section that fits under the air conveyor on the front. The parts list even shows you where to cut the fairings....I prefer to just remove the dash surrounds, mirrors, and headlight fairing. I've done it enough that I can remove those parts and a side fairing and reinstall everything in about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I thought about the Dzus mod Winston and one day I may well do it....but for now I'm not unhappy with the smaller mods I did to help the process.

To ease the absurdity of the original design, I attached(silver soldered) shortened 3mm allen keys to the 3 dashboard bolts .
I silver soldered an old 2c coin to each of the bolts holding the mirrors on like wing nuts so I could undo them with my fingers too.
And I put moly assembly grease on each of the wellnuts that needs to come off....they now twizzle off easily with allen keys

Its no longer a big deal to lift off the plastic....yes its daft to have to lift the screen off to get at the lowers but I can easily get the bike naked in about 10 minutes.
Next time you're up, come in and I'll show you.

Once you've done it a couple of times its a doddle.

Colin.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
I recall seeing a thread some time ago which referred to alterations which allowed a fairing to be removed in one piece? Searched but nothing found.

I've just tried and failed to remove the fairing on my ST4. Apparently it requires starting at the top, removing the mirrors, and working down!!:eek: So the mechanic explained to me.

Surely there has to be a simpler way. Any ideas?

Cheers
Winston
I thought the same thing first time around.

Unfortunately there is no short cuts until you install the DESMOTIMES brackets, which I did, but I wish I had of gone for the DZUS fasteners at the time.
When I win the lottery, I will convert all the bloody well nuts to Dzus.

It's not that hard to remove the fairing, it's just dammed annoying that it's more difficult to replace because of the previously overtightened well nuts.

My old RZ500 was a piece of piss to remove and replace by comparison, the Japs used speed nuts, but this did, in fairness cause cracking in the fairing because it was so rigid. The rubber well nuts probably help here.

Still, I think the dzus is the way to go. One day!

Have a go it's not that bad.

Craig

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I had BCM perform a "Dzus conversion" the summer after I got my ST. They had to trim one small portion of the side fairing I believe, which allows it to come off without removing the headlight fairing. To do an oil change or play with the battery, I take off 4 Dzus clips, and 2 allen bolts, and off comes the entire side. I think the other side is just 1 allen bolt, and 5 Dzus clips. They did not use the desmotimes bracket on my install.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, much appreciated. I like the idea of the Drus fittings and notice the 916 comes with them as standard. Apart from that I'll investigate the Desmotimes brackets or some alternative. I like you ideas Colin, sounds good. :D

·
Registered
631 Posts
I recently did the Desmotimes bracket with Dzus fastener mod, and I have to admit I'm a little disappointed. I never was able to get the Dzus fasteners to work very well. I had to have access to the back so I could push on a couple of the clips to get them to engage. Kind of defeats the purpose. I bent the clips per Desmo's remomendation and shimmed and bent the bracket to get the holes to line up with the fairing, but no luck. If anyone has any suggestions or words of wisdom, I'd be anxious to hear it.

In the end, I trashed the Dzus and went back to the original well nuts and bolts on the Desmotimes bracket. It takes a couple of minutes longer than the Dzus fasteners (assuming you could get them to work properly), but now I can remove the lower and mid fairings as a unit without removing the top. Still a great improvement over stock. I just wish I hadn't spent the money for the Dzus fasteners.

·
Registered
209 Posts
i had to raise the dt bracket to get the holes to line up on my st2. i used the pieces i cut from the fairing as the shims. i had ordered a few spare dzus parts, i had to replace 1 i messed up setting things up. one was loose and i had to use a soft rubber washer along with the nylon to get it to seat correctly.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
And then you can always break out the bloody blow torch. But they might not fit up proper ever again...

Kidding aside, I went the "extra mile" to make the + post of my battery accessible on my ST2. Just in case you wanted to use jumper cables... I think I did boost it once, but just being able to get a screwdriver or socket onto the battery made me feel better. I di it my modifying the "air conveyer" or air duct. First with a hole saw, and then a second time with my router table...made a sexy little curve out of it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Had the fairing off yesterday to install some GPS wiring, et. al., buttoned it all up, and click/click...no start.

Well, forgot to reconnect one of the electrical multi-pin connectors.

It's all got to come off again. :abduct:

On the plus side, I've become much more facile with the well nuts. The cap head screws do look nice. On advice from somebody on the forum, I now grease or oil the screws slightly...that made a big difference..

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I recently did the Desmotimes bracket with Dzus fastener mod, and I have to admit I'm a little disappointed. I never was able to get the Dzus fasteners to work very well. I had to have access to the back so I could push on a couple of the clips to get them to engage. Kind of defeats the purpose. I bent the clips per Desmo's remomendation and shimmed and bent the bracket to get the holes to line up with the fairing, but no luck. If anyone has any suggestions or words of wisdom, I'd be anxious to hear it.

In the end, I trashed the Dzus and went back to the original well nuts and bolts on the Desmotimes bracket. It takes a couple of minutes longer than the Dzus fasteners (assuming you could get them to work properly), but now I can remove the lower and mid fairings as a unit without removing the top. Still a great improvement over stock. I just wish I hadn't spent the money for the Dzus fasteners.
Use a pair of clamping pliers and squeeze the Dzus clips. The pins will then be able to reach for proper connection.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Use a pair of clamping pliers and squeeze the Dzus clips. The pins will then be able to reach for proper connection.
Did that. In the end, I had the clips squeezed all the way together so there wasn't any spring left to lock the fastener in place. Still couldn't reach. The problem had more to do with the size of the gap between the fairings and the bracket. I never could get that snugged up without applying pressure from the inside.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Did that. In the end, I had the clips squeezed all the way together so there wasn't any spring left to lock the fastener in place. Still couldn't reach. The problem had more to do with the size of the gap between the fairings and the bracket. I never could get that snugged up without applying pressure from the inside.
You apparently need the longer pins.

Dzus Description Dzus Part No. Quantity

Panex Fastener Ringhead 4mm short 314-413-190 20

Panex Fastener Ringhead 4mm long 314-419-190 7

Panex Fastener Ringhead 6mm short 316-415-190 3

Panex Fastener Ringhead 6mm long 316-419-190 3

Panex Retainer 324-100-040 40

Panex Retainer (washer) 326-100-040 10

Panex Receptacle – slip-on 334-300-190 19

Panex Receptacle (glued) 334-100-300 3

Panex Receptacle – slip-on 336-300-190 2

Panex Receptacle (glued) 336-100-300 2

This was the set up I would import each year from Switzerland. As you can see, there are a variety of lengths. Why don't you measure what you have?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Hi MarkST:
Just looked at my photo area on this PC...I don't have the photos (and bike sold this spring). If I do come by them, I'll post.

Basically, I started with a hole that I cut using a hole saw. Not too happy with this, the next time she was apart, I had my router table set up already, and push came to shove...I shoved that crappy piece of plastic thru the router, and was pleased with the results. No hint of the hole left, but good enough access to + post.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts