Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a tech in the East Tennessee (Knoxville) area, to work on my 748. If anybody knows of any techs within a couple of hours of Knoxville, I am okay with that, too. Mountain Motorsports is a Ducati dealer, but they only work on bikes less than 5 years old, and they don't have anybody that they can recommend. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,358 Posts
Maybe try Wheelers Performance in Robbinsville, NC. Always been helpful for Ducati.ms guys at the ECM meet up at Fontana Dam.

·
Sophomore Member
2,794 Posts
What are you needing done? I'm down in Chattanooga. I'm not a shop or anything. Just a guy that enjoys wrenching on motorcycles. Depending on the work, I might be able to help you out. Otherwise, you can always take it to Ducshop just north of Atlanta.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are you needing done? I'm down in Chattanooga. I'm not a shop or anything. Just a guy that enjoys wrenching on motorcycles. Depending on the work, I might be able to help you out. Otherwise, you can always take it to Ducshop just north of Atlanta.
Much appreciated! Actually, I just had it sent to Wheeler's, in N.C. I don't know exactly what is wrong with it.... It just won't start, unless it has been sitting for several hours, was stuttering, and dies. Plus, it won't idle, unless you massage the throttle.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Never ever ever ever go here. Obviously they are completely lame. Or is worthless a better word?
Five years? Efftards. :rolleyes:
Wonderful. I moved back here in 2017 from northern VA and used to depend on Donnie Unger at DucPond. Thats a very high bar. I assume Ill be going to Atlanta?
Scott
Sevierville

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was down in Tennessee last week and stopped by Mountain Motorsport and they don’t even have the Ducati line anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Sophomore Member
2,794 Posts
I would be reluctant to use 25 year old magnesium wheels, but that’s just me. If just for show, go ahead, but I wouldn’t want to ride on them. As for MMS putting tires on the rims, I bet they would do it if you don’t advertise that they are old mags.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would be reluctant to use 25 year old magnesium wheels, but that’s just me. If just for show, go ahead, but I wouldn’t want to ride on them. As for MMS putting tires on the rims, I bet they would do it if you don’t advertise that they are old mags.
Why reluctant? What happens to the magnesium?
Also
Would you be reluctant if they were in use all that time?

Rex

·
Sophomore Member
2,794 Posts
Magnesium corrodes easily and aggressively. I’ve always thought of them as having a shelf life. My understanding is it becomes brittle with corrosion. The embrittlement means catastrophic failure with no warning. I’m no expert, but I believe it’s normal practice to X-ray magnesium wheels of age looking for internal cracks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Magnesium corrodes easily and aggressively. I’ve always thought of them as having a shelf life. My understanding is it becomes brittle with corrosion. The embrittlement means catastrophic failure with no warning. I’m no expert, but I believe it’s normal practice to X-ray magnesium wheels of age looking for internal cracks.
Thank you. My Marchesini wheels are forged Aluminum so then I am OK.

Rex

1 - 14 of 14 Posts