Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone found an easier way to remove the front calipers without dinging the wheel, other than rocking the caliper against the rotor to get the pads spread? Unless I'm doing this wrong it scratches and sometimes dings the pads, not to mention barely clearing the wheel. PITA.

·
Hammer Down
2020 Multistrada 1260 S Touring
1,865 Posts
I apply tape to the wheel to limit damage but that’s about it. PITA is very accurate.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Need to get the pads completely compressed back. Twisting them against the disk is not ideal. Need something like a protected large screwdriver type tool that won't damage the disk or pad surface, twisting till they are fully compressed.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
yea... wiggle them until the pads are pushed back... then they come off pretty easily (still use tape though).

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Wedge of wood, experiment until you find the right angle/thickness that works. Tape the rim with thick heavy duty duct tape. Research stronger expletives to assist.

·
Registered
2015 Multistrada DVT 1200S Touring / Sports
25 Posts
Also I twist them to spread the pads and then moving them past the rim, protected by sole tape.
Alternatively remove the wheel, not a huge job with the proper stand.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
As above: twisting and don't forget the painter's tape on your rims.

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alternatively remove the wheel, not a huge job with the proper stand.
I don't believe that you can remove the wheel without removing the calipers.

So, we all admit that it's a poor design and no secret method to make it easier. Drag. Thx for your responses though.

Reactions: Gadgetech

·
Registered
335 Posts
Removing or shifting the wheel won't work as the disks are attached to the wheel, nothing will change.
If the pads are fully back they can come right out without touching the rim

·
Registered
778 Posts
Not going to lie, I took the torx bolts holding the rotors onto the wheel out and removed the caliper and rotor together, it was way less of a pain in the butt than every other alternative mentioned here.

Breaking torque was a little tough, since the bolts are loc-tited (I used a 18" breaker bar), but it was still easier than most other methods listed here.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Twisting here with a shop towel over the caliper to protect rim from scratch.
That's all i do, never had an issue

But, I also take the master cylinder cap off and syphon out the brake fluid because pushing the pads back overfills the reservoir which can lead to weeping, which is a bugger.....
I refill once reinstalled, clean the gasket and replace the cap, if i'm super motivated i flush the system with a quick bleed as well.

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pull the pads first.
I do not think that this will work as you have to slide out the pad away from the Pistons and then out through the opening where the disc sits. So the disc are blocking the opening.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I do not think that this will work as you have to slide out the pad away from the Pistons and then out through the opening where the disc sits. So the disc are blocking the opening.
Nope pads should come out through the top.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I guess this depends on the model. On my 2015 DVT there is no way you can pull the pads from the top.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts