Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Grouchy Old Fart
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody heard anything about the Ducati works in Bologna and how it fared during the earthquake?

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I wish I was a smart arse like you, but I'm not...............

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Here you can see the latest TV videos of it, Modena got hammered, factories, churches, and it doesn't look like it's the last of it

Rai.it - Notizie

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Sad news, and difficult times for the folks in the region. Living in earthquake-prone Los Angeles and with a part of my heart forever in Italy, my thoughts are with the families and communities affected. May this be the last quake, and may healing begin.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
This is terrible for the region, let alone for the families displaced or who lost their loved ones.

I was in the San Francisco earthquake of 1989. It was surreal coming out of a building at school seeing other buildings all around town burning because of natural gas breaks and seeing the highways and bridges destroyed. Electricity was gone, transportation ground to a halt. Really a mess. Everyone was exiting the BART system because the trains couldn't run. I picked up a load of people and took them to their homes, even while I was worried about my daughter. I imagine many in Italy are experiencing similar systems failures.

In Italy, the medieval buildings of Cavezzo were just part of the problem. Not only the Ducati plant was closed for inspections, but the supercar builders of the area - Maserati, Ferrari, Lamborghini - have also closed temporarily to check their structures: Italy Earthquake Halts Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini - Driver's Seat - WSJ

Not a good time for an Italian industrial area of luxury vehicles to suspend production, however short a time. Apparently that is part of the Ducati problem - the suppliers, as in the Fukushima tsunami which decimated production because regional supply chains were disrupted.

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
I was in Italy when the first one hit, in Vicenza. I was awake at 4:00am getting ready to travel. Felt it good, but different than the ones I get living in Los Angeles. Is was just a rumble where the ones in LA seem to be a hit followed by rollers. Didn't think much of it until I went downstairs to see everybody in the hotel standing around freaked out. I guess you get use to the normal small ones, just have to remember the big one could come anytime. I wish the best for everybody who has felt a loss.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
On top of that, the government has been taxing everything and anything lately to the point that last month when i was there, within 3 weeks there was 12 suicides from people that couldn't pay their bills, lost their jobs and can't afford to live, Italy is inches away from becoming like Greece and to top it off, here comes a strings of quakes, that reminds me, I got to call my mother!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just got back from Italy Monday - I was in Vicenza/Padova/Venice. I was talking to my italian coworkers about the first quake and now this second one...it's crazy! and it's definitely the last thing they need right now. it's like lightning striking twice in the same place.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Official Retired Person
7,373 Posts
Read about the 2nd quake in this morning's paper. Hope everyone can get the help the need. Sympathies for the region and the people.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was stationed in Italy from 2006-2010. My wife and I traveled all over europe and Italy. We went to Ducati and Ferrari several times. That region is so beautiful. Im sorry for those that passed. It could have been worse. The bad thing is that the Factory still has some old buildings they never took down after the war. Most of the region is very old and unchanged. Its sad to see all that history and hard work crumble. :(
Be strong Italia!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts