Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At around 10:35 we felt a minor "roller", hanging lights swinging, a few rattles.

Turns out there was a rather BIG'N that was what we felt, centered about 150 miles N/E of Los Angeles (6.4 richter).

The sandy substrate out here in Yuma sortof dampens most tremors and turns them into "rollers". We're on the eastern side of the San Adreas fault line, but those folks on the western side of the fault take more of a beating.

I hope any members of this forum that live in the rockin' rollin' region of this latest quake are ok. As of about 9:00am there have been several hundred quakes recorded by the USGS .... hang in there folks!

:surprise:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm in the San Gabriel Valley area and was sitting down enjoying a late breakfast in the house when my wife and I felt it...was very slight at first, and I didn't notice initially because i wasn't sitting still in the chair, but my wife noticed and mentioned it. After about 10 seconds it picked-up and it was visibly shaking the house about. Fairly mild in this area though...rolling type.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Was at the Rock Inn in Lake Hughes. The place started a rolling motion and after a few seconds the owner said Earthquake. It stopped and we went back to eating. Not bad there and not bad at home in the SF Valley. Nothing like the 94 Northridge quake that was the rudest awakening ever for us.

Rock On! :smile2:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Was at the Rock Inn in Lake Hughes. The place started a rolling motion and after a few seconds the owner said Earthquake. It stopped and we went back to eating. Not bad there and not bad at home in the SF Valley. Nothing like the 94 Northridge quake that was the rudest awakening ever for us.

Rock On! :smile2:
Of the three major quakes I've been in (Northridge, Loma Prieta-Nor Cal, Landers). Northridge was the strongest. I was living in Glendale, CA at the time and thought the ceiling was going to come down on us while trying to get out of bed!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Of the three major quakes I've been in (Northridge, Loma Prieta-Nor Cal, Landers). Northridge was the strongest. I was living in Glendale, CA at the time and thought the ceiling was going to come down on us while trying to get out of bed!

I did the Loma Prieta quake back in ‘89, still have the following days newspaper somewhere, the t-shirt decayed a long time ago. Back then I was working for IBM in the U.K. but happened to be in San Jose on business and remember watching 101 rippling and the traffic signals waving from my 6th floor hotel room. Quite an experience, and one that I’d prefer not to repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
914 Posts
Northridge was bad. We were about 6 miles from the epicenter. Lots of stuff broke, my bike tipped over. Heavy file cabinets tipped over at the office. There was a bad smell outside that lasted quite a while, no idea what that was. Earth farts maybe. But our place stayed up with cracks in drywall, and we were OK. Nobody wants to repeat stuff like that. But the little ones don't really phase me after that.

·
Registered
435 Posts
..Nobody wants to repeat stuff like that. But the little ones don't really phase me after that.
Wholeheartedly Agreed after riding the '89 Loma Prieta in SF on the 4th floor of a 4-stories of wood frame over 1-story PT concrete podium. I didn't think we were gonna make it out of that building, and if you tried to walk it would have knocked you to the floor.

The little ones tho are fun, in a thrill seeking kind of way. They're also kinda just reminders that Mother Nature bats last.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree that the little ones are kinda fun!

I was interning at Spectra Physics in San Jose during the '89 LP quake and was just about to leave the office when it hit. I ducked under my (ground floor) desk and remember looking out and seeing a bunch of books and papers falling to the ground. I remember it shook for what seemed like a good minute. I kinda remembered it seemed it would alternate between shaking a bit soft for several cycles then hard, then soft, etc. maybe I'm just remembering wrong. After the shaking stopped, I hopped on my Yamaha RD350LC and jammed over to my mom's place. Great that I had the bike because the freeways were a mess. When I got there, the hutch had fallen over and a lot of the expensive china was trashed.

Anyhow, I was glad to know Candlestick park was well built, since they had a full house with the Bay Bridge World Series starting Oakland A's and SF Giants. Could have been a lot worse if those upper bleacher sections came down on all those people under them.

·
Registered
357 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's being widely reported as a 7.1 by pretty much most outlets now (at least in these parts as well as at minimum one national cable news outlet). Sustained for over a solid minute near the epicenter.

:eek:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What many folks don't realize is that a 7.1 is 10x more powerful than a 6.4.

Ten times more destructive force. Ten times more energy.

Ten times mo' shit fallin' on yer noggin!

:surprise:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts