Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Triumph Street Triple
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The earthquake in SoCal a couple of weeks ago got me a little worried about my 1098 sitting in the garage with the side stand only.

I suppose it goes without saying (but wanted to make sure) that a bike on a rear stand will withstand an earthquake better than a bike relying only on a side stand . . . right?

I'm thinking I better get one soon. Any other anti-quake measures people take with their bikes? Is there any real added benefit to having a front stand in addition to the rear stand?

Thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Dude, calm down! I had a garage full of bikes and a house full of fish tanks that made it through Loma Prieta just fine, no damage. I think if you get one worse than that, there will be no roads left to ride on.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Just make sure your bike has "comprehensive" coverage as part of your insurance. That's the portion that covers damages caused by "natural disasters" among other things. :cool:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just make sure your bike has "comprehensive" coverage as part of your insurance. That's the portion that covers damages caused by "natural disasters" among other things. :cool:
I've got comprehensive. I kind of assumed damage from earthquakes would be carved out of the coverage. Guess I should go back and read my policy . . .

·
Registered
698 Posts
I've got comprehensive. I kind of assumed damage from earthquakes would be carved out of the coverage. Guess I should go back and read my policy . . .
I insure my bike from Progressive and in my policy for Comprehensive Coverage they state the following:

"If you pay the premium for this coverage, we will pay for the sudden, direct and accidental loss to a covered motorcycle...that is not caused by a collision.

A loss not caused by a collision includes:
1) Contact with animal (including a bird)
2) Explosion or earthquake
3) Fire....
"

:cool:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I bubble wrap my bike when it is parked just in case. In all reality the side stands are pretty stable. You would have to have one big quake to knock it over.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I had a passing concern about this issue.
The only option that makes sense to me is a Bike chock bolted to the garage floor and using tie downs that attach to the chock and then to the bike to secure it. Just like when I transport my bike. In a chock tied down to secure.
I figure if I go out of town and can not be there this is the best option.

My other concern is stuff falling on the bike from the rafters, where i store Junk, more so then the bike tipping over.
If something falls and damages the bike the insurance will cover it as a mishap, so long as you do not state that the mishap was from the earth quake ;).

I realize we or the bike can not live in a bubble and it's not a perfect world so some forethought and caution never hurts.

JC

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
We had an earthquake over here a year or so back. I was devastated by the damage to one of my bikes when it fell off it's sidestand.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We had an earthquake over here a year or so back. I was devastated by the damage to one of my bikes when it fell off it's sidestand.
Wow. And even after you went through all that trouble to lay a carpet pad and soft shag carpet in your garage, you still end up with a busted bike. Bummer.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Here in Japan, earthquakes are quite common.

I actually use tie downs (the kind you would use to haul your bike in truck) and hook one end to the frame near the steering head, and the other to eye hooks mounted to the rafters on both sides of the bike.

Of course I only do this when the bike is in for winter storage or extended sleepovers in the ac/heated garage.

Dana

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Get yourself some of these.. they seem to work well..

or get some ACRO Props.. they'll help keep your garage off your bike when the big one comes.. Don't know what you call them where you live so google the name.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
The earthquake in SoCal a couple of weeks ago got me a little worried about my 1098 sitting in the garage with the side stand only.

I suppose it goes without saying (but wanted to make sure) that a bike on a rear stand will withstand an earthquake better than a bike relying only on a side stand . . . right?

I'm thinking I better get one soon. Any other anti-quake measures people take with their bikes? Is there any real added benefit to having a front stand in addition to the rear stand?

Thanks.
Well, time to build that steel reinforced concrete crate you've been dreaming about for so long... <g>

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Here in Japan, earthquakes are quite common.

I actually use tie downs (the kind you would use to haul your bike in truck) and hook one end to the frame near the steering head, and the other to eye hooks mounted to the rafters on both sides of the bike.

Of course I only do this when the bike is in for winter storage or extended sleepovers in the ac/heated garage.

Dana
You could get some really heavy duty bungee cords and suspend the bike off the ground from the rafters... then watch it bounce around when the earthquake hits... Make sure you tie some of those cords to the floor too... <gggg>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts