Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
casting mileage aside, any tell-tale signs/ early indications for the need of valve adjustment & cam belts change?

·
Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,451 Posts
Not too sure about the valves, as they'd have to be considerably out of spec to notice much of a difference in how the bike runs.....except maybe some backfiring if the valves aren't closing all the way (or intake popping), but as for the belts, a sure-fire way to tell is if the engine all of a sudden locks up and there are belt fragments coming from your ventilated belt covers. ;)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Spectrum told me that the belts need to be replaced every 2 years regardless of mileage. Is this true or are they full of crap?

·
Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,451 Posts
DrGonzo said:
Spectrum told me that the belts need to be replaced every 2 years regardless of mileage. Is this true or are they full of crap?
Golden rule: 12k miles or two years....whichever comes first.

On the other hand, my ST2 is going on year three (Oct) and getting them changed in another 2000 miles (will be 12k on these belts).

My 748 is getting new ones at 4 years/5600 miles.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The belts are a snap to do. There are timing marks for all three cogs. The hardest part was de-paneling the bike beforehand, the re-paneling afterwards.

·
Registered
629 Posts
when I got my 748 it had 10K miles and six year old belts. Bike ran fine I put on another 500 miles before doing the Valve adjustment and belts. You can't really tell how much longer the belts will last. It's cheap enough to change them out so you should as soon as you can.

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
I pushed my 748 belts way past the 2 year 12k miles mark, though I got the bike used with the original belts. Well my horizontal belt snapped and slammed my piston in the valves....Its cheap insurance.

·
Registered
442 Posts
My 748 engine died this way too.

Synergy said:
I pushed my 748 belts way past the 2 year 12k miles mark, though I got the bike used with the original belts. Well my horizontal belt snapped and slammed my piston in the valves....Its cheap insurance.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I wonder if I should change my belts? They were new two years ago and the engine has been just sitting around inside since then...with the exception of the summer during which they've been inside.

-Trent

·
Registered
746 Posts
ducaati said:
The belts are a snap to do. There are timing marks for all three cogs. The hardest part was de-paneling the bike beforehand, the re-paneling afterwards.
How about belt tension?

·
Super Moderator
8,249 Posts
jules_1972 said:
How about belt tension?
I use the tried and true "Push up on the belt between the campulleys"..

If you push "just hard enough" the belt is inline with the top of the beltcover.. That is just the right amount of tension..

Easy isn´t it! :D

//amullo

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Amulla if you owned a 3 year old 999 would you change your own belts. Im asking because im just about to do my own and find it difficult to hear of others doing theres.I know that ducati say that you need to use the sonic method but my existing belts are way slack and it runs perfect im thinking of using a method similar to yours. What do you say.

·
Registered
113 Posts
"Best before Dates" on Belts?

Hoping to visit California (Santa Barbara) next week and was thinking of picking up a new set of belts for a 2005 999. Any opinions on where to get them and more importantly is there a manufacture or best before date I should be aware of?? :confused:

·
Registered
442 Posts
I heard that if you use a guitar tuner, you just tension the belts till they make an E note when you twang them. Dunlop told me.

·
Registered
629 Posts
CheatingOnMyR1 said:
I heard that if you use a guitar tuner, you just tension the belts till they make an E note when you twang them. Dunlop told me.

mmm but were do you twang the belt. I'm sure if you do it at diffrent areas it would make a diffrent note?

·
Registered
442 Posts
No, different areas would just make a louder or softer note.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Which belts need to be replaced? I thought there was just one belt for timing. And how much is it?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
dragknt...there are two belts that make up the cam drive system. One runnign from the crank to the cam on each cylinder. Both get replaced at the same times.

dancinkozmo...This is a trick for the 2V motors, doesn't apply for any of the 4V motors. FWIW, I have found it unreliable for my 2V bike. Makes the belts waaay to tight. I treid that method one time and ditched it. Loose is better than too tight when it comes to two things on these bikes...chains and timing belts!!!

Dyno-sore... www.ca-cycleworks.com carries belts. They are cheaper, but they are also not Ducati (Gates) belts. Check there and see what he's got. Great place to shop though. I get mine from the dealer. If you go dealer (i.e. Gates/Ducati) you want the ones with red lettering. Some older ones had white lettering but if you shop anywhere that moves their inventory, most likely wont be an issue. Besides that, no worries.

amullo's method is pretty good. Even on the testastretta motors... (your 999 duati2242!!!) My mechanic showed me that same method cause that's how he does it. Naturally, he does it everyday, but still. He also kinda checks his work with the "45 deg twist mid way between the cam and the crank" method;) :) Remember, these "feel" methods are subjective depending on how hard you mash on it compared to me. As long as it's not tooo tight or flopping around.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts