Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking off as much as i can to get the bike "ready for work" i have noticed multiple areas that have nicks or scratches that show white paint under a thin (but high quality) layer of gold.... is this normal for the early 90's frames? I'm learning a ton about this model, but i thought the frame would be one solid color all the way down to bare metal???

either way is the white frame known for issues? is it more rare or considered a less desirable option? I cannot claim to have ever seen a ducati supersport in person with a white frame...

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Different years the frame was painted different colors. My ‘96 was Gold, and wasn’t white underneath. Some years had white frames, not sure which.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far all i have found is that from 1991 to late 1992 had white chrome molybdenum steel frames, but no mention of any built in 1993 or later with white frames...

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
That is correct. Pre 1993 bikes would be white frames. 1993 and later are "bronze" frames to around 1997 or so. First writings I could find of different color frames were for 1999.

As for cracks, there did seem to be certain model years that were prone to it, but then there are those I've read about who never had any issues with frame cracks even though they owned bikes in those model years.

Mine is a 1993, and it looks to have never cracked. I've read of a fair few 1993 models that did though. Hence I bought one of these:

Like I wrote, mine is not cracked. I did a pretty thorough inspection of that particular part of the bike when I viewed it prior to buying. I just happened to find this brace over on Links - Ducati900sl.com (The Ducati Superlight register)

The description said something about "banish the cracking" which was really my major concern with buying an old Super Sport.

If you have white paint under gold, it has definitely been repainted. For the Super Sport at least, gold was not a frame color according to all the literature I have at my disposal.....sean

Reactions: RockAZ

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plan on thoroughly going over this bike and making every attempt to fix or repair any issues before i decide on the final paint scheme, but i was just surprised to see the bronxe/ gold/ champagne paint on the frame was white underneath...

i believe that my frame would be one of the last white frames produced/ used and it just makes it more unusual in my opinion...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as you can see on the lowest most frame tube this is one of a few white spots showing...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I don’t know what sources you’re checking, but ‘96 definitely had a goldish frame.

·
Premium Member
5,451 Posts
If the frame is gold over white make sure you are not talking of a primer coat for the metal which can be white... ish. If it were white then the white will be a thick paint/powder where a primer will be thin.

In my experience the white frames were not prone to cracking .

Lets start with what year is the bike?
What is the VIN? you can XX out the last few numbers we are looking at the first 11 numbers /letters

What are the engine numbers?

Are you restoring the bike or modifying it?
can you send a picture like above, showing the tank latch area of the frame?

I do not see any benefit to a white frame if you are going to paint/coat the frame, just make sure you do not cover signs of cracks so you are wasting $$. Like the 999 that had a custom painted frame that was very bent. If the idea of a cracked frame bothers you then I would search out a early frame by date code NOT color, because my yellow frame has never cracked does not mean it never will.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I don’t know what sources you’re checking, but ‘96 definitely had a goldish frame.

Here is a (poor) pic of my ‘96 and you can see the frame is gold. And it’s original.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Gold-ish, is not gold. Ducati describes the finish on the frames from 93 on as "bronze". Even then, it depends on what batch of paint your particular frame was painted with. Some look more gold-ish than others. Mine looked more bronze at first...then as I took a wire brush to the crumbling, flaking clear coat, it looks more like the finish on my 996 frame than "bronze"

The clear coat is prone to yellowing and that also affects how the frame looks. If your bike spent years in the sun, the paint fades and the clear yellows more than a bike that lived in a garage its whole life. As it happens, the front subframe on my 1993 was repainted black at some point in the bike's life. Under said black paint, the subframe is bronze an a much more gold-ish bronze than the frame.

As for my sources, check online at motorcycle specs dot co dot za. If you want to go through the expense, buy "The Complete Book of Ducati Motorcycles" Every Model Since 1946 by Ian Falloon or consult a library with every back issue of Performance Bike, Bike or Practical Sportsbike magazines from the UK. I have many of them in their physical paper form or access to the back issue digital library. All coincide with the description of the frame as being bronze from 1993 on up to 1998. The first instance I could find of a mention of different color frames was from 1999. Even then, there was mention of a black frame for the "Dark" SSie. No distinction if it was for the 600, 750 or 900 either.....and I don't remember ever seeing one with a black frame. Doesn't mean they didn't exist, it just means I've never seen one. Monster, yes. SSie, no.......sean

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Lots of detail errors in Falloons book, especially in the SS section. I wouldn’t use that as the ultimate authority.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts