Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter project..getting these painted or powdercorated back to as-close-to-OEM as I can get.

Getting just the lettering outline as perfectly bare metal looks challenging.... has anyone else done this successfully?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Tape around the top and bottom arc of the words. Wrap a fine rag around your finger (one layer) then dab finger on few drops of paint that you have spread onto a flat surface. Essentially your finger an ink pad. Then dab the letters. Done. Easy.
As to the bare metal finish. Tape th same as above and use 3x1x1 aluminium block or similar and use 600 wet and dry or 400 dry.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Winter project..getting these painted or powdercorated back to as-close-to-OEM as I can get.

Getting just the lettering outline as perfectly bare metal looks challenging.... has anyone else done this successfully?
The bronze color historically seems hard to match with OE. If you have a paint code or advice for future guys undertaking the same thing, by all means share it.

·
Matt
685 Posts
The original paint is virtually impossible to match. Opinions vary, but my view is that it is an early powder paint. To make it believable there are attributes beyond just the color that need to be matched: metallic, texture, sheen, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
The original paint is virtually impossible to match. Opinions vary, but my view is that it is an early powder paint. To make it believable there are attributes beyond just the color that need to be matched: metallic, texture, sheen, etc.
original paint is easy to match, been doing it for years.
paint formulation is not a universal thing. every paint company have their own proprietry pigments and they all vary in color strength and metamerism. so a ppg formula is not the same as a glasurat formula or akso formula. each manufacturer have vast color map books with tens of thousands of formulas that you can either find the closest or manipulate a closest formula to suit. the gold ducati use for the wheels and frames are not consistent from bike to bike.

·
Matt
685 Posts
original paint is easy to match, been doing it for years.
paint formulation is not a universal thing. every paint company have their own proprietry pigments and they all vary in color strength and metamerism. so a ppg formula is not the same as a glasurat formula or akso formula. each manufacturer have vast color map books with tens of thousands of formulas that you can either find the closest or manipulate a closest formula to suit. the gold ducati use for the wheels and frames are not consistent from bike to bike.
I agree and do the same, but the gold three spokes have been a frustrating exception for me....it's more about how the oem early powder lays on the wheel that's difficult to replicate with wet paint. For the ones I've tried and others that I've seen - - from a few meters away it looks good, but up close it's clear that it's not original. Have you done gold three spokes? I might send you a set :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Xracer- Thanks for the advice on the lettering.

As for the paint....found this colour chart. Aiming for second from bottom. "Beige met Opaco".
Code: DUC.MM004.0

If this is wrong or someone has a different code, let me know. I agree that texture, paint thickness, oven temp will also be important. Hopefully will find a real pro here in southern Ontario. What should be my expected budget for both wheels?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
I agree and do the same, but the gold three spokes have been a frustrating exception for me....it's more about how the oem early powder lays on the wheel that's difficult to replicate with wet paint. For the ones I've tried and others that I've seen - - from a few meters away it looks good, but up close it's clear that it's not original. Have you done gold three spokes? I might send you a set :)
Paint them with any 2K. Texture can be controlled with the quantity of matting agent, the viscosity you have the paint, air pressure and feed volume. Surface prep (blast media size) can also determine surface texture. The mistake people make is they try to get the finished product using matte clear and this is not the way it’s done.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The mistake people make is they try to get the finished product using matte clear and this is not the way it’s done.
Which begs the question, what IS the way it's done (or should be done for best results)?

2K single stage?

Nearly every painter I've researched uses a matte clear...

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Anything can be done, but until I see someone actually reproduce it identically and offer it as a service or explicit instructions, I consider it hearsay.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Which begs the question, what IS the way it's done (or should be done for best results)?

2K single stage?

Nearly every painter I've researched uses a matte clear...
Because they don’t and can’t think outside the box. The matte finish on the wheel and frame etc. was never matte clear. The color is made in 2K then matting agent added to the mix and is used to achieve the desired furface finish and texture.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts