Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '98 ST2 and have had too many problems w/ my 2 wire stator, Is it possible to simply bolt in the later 3 wire stator, does it fit? Along with the later 3 wire regulator? Is the rotor the same or does that need to change as well? Is this possible

thanks, Matt

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have a '98 ST2 and have had too many problems w/ my 2 wire stator, Is it possible to simply bolt in the later 3 wire stator, does it fit? Along with the later 3 wire regulator? Is the rotor the same or does that need to change as well? Is this possible.
This conversion isn't practical because you'll also need a crankshaft from a 3 wire bike.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
A MOSFET rectifier / regulator is the way to go. Keep in mind that it will not give you more capacity, but it will provide better stability and reliability. Aside from the common toasting of the AC wires, connector or stator, that crappy diode rectifier is a weak link.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
This conversion isn't practical because you'll also need a crankshaft from a 3 wire bike.
And probably a left hand engine cover to go over the bigger stator.

Be easier to just sell your engine on Ebay and buy a later model ST2 engine...AND install an MOSFET regulator.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, thanks. I've looked at several regulators and they dont specify diode or mosfet. Any particular parts that you'd recommend?

thanks, Matt

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more thing. I read in one of these posts that the resistance between the two yellow wires on the stator should be between .4 and .6 Ohms and that they should not be grounded. The resistance between the two wires is .6 ohms, but the resistance from each yellow wire and ground is also about .6 ohms. So sounds like the stator is bad. Does anyone know how they go bad? I know the wires overheat and melt the insulation, but does that mean all the wires in the coils in the stator itself, or is it just the yellow wires that attach to the stator, and if thats the case can I repair those wires and therefore the stator?

thanks, Matt

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
It's more common for the yellow wires to have melted insulation. The stator is made up of enamel coated wire. It can fail too, but I'd check the yellow wires from the left side cover to the VRR connection first.

Be sure you're checking this with the AC plug disconnected from the VRR,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts