Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After much searching, I found a source for the tool and the clamps for the fuel line. The company is Liquid Ice

Here is the tool and some of the clamps. I bought sizes 11.3mm, 12.3mm, 13.3mm. They sell the clamps in bags of 25, so in all I think I spent $50.

The clamps/tool are made by Oetiker. There is also a similar tool/clamp system sold in Australia made by Norma.

The 13.3mm looks like it will barely do it. (I was told to get an 11mm, so much for that) Anyway I will see if it fits and give it a go or maybe order the next size clamp and wait... Isn't it bad to let the gasket just sit out when you pull the fuel pump, or should I not worry?

Either way, even if you never have an issue with your fuel line deep sixing you in the middle of nowhere, eventually you have to swap out fuel filters and this is the tool to do it with.

Tool is $19, bag of clamps is $7.50 ( I just ordered to larger mm sizes and will post which is correct when they come in... sorry for the delay :)

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
After much searching, I found a source for the tool and the clamps for the fuel line. The company is Liquid Ice

Here is the tool and some of the clamps. I bought sizes 11.3mm, 12.3mm, 13.3mm. They sell the clamps in bags of 25, so in all I think I spent $50.

The clamps/tool are made by Oetiker. There is also a similar tool/clamp system sold in Australia made by Norma.

The 13.3mm looks like it will barely do it. (I was told to get an 11mm, so much for that) Anyway I will see if it fits and give it a go or maybe order the next size clamp and wait... Isn't it bad to let the gasket just sit out when you pull the fuel pump, or should I not worry?

Either way, even if you never have an issue with your fuel line deep sixing you in the middle of nowhere, eventually you have to swap out fuel filters and this is the tool to do it with.

Tool is $19, bag of clamps is $7.50 ( I just ordered to larger mm sizes and will post which is correct when they come in... sorry for the delay :)
Thanks for the link. Been looking for just this tool. Clamps too!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Nice info Bill! ...and "Hi!" Those "old" 2010 Streetfighters sure do need a whole lot of work on their fuel systems, don't they?!

If I still didn't have my 999 pic as my avatar, I'd tell you to change yours too. Who the hell is that on your old ST? :D:rolleyes:
Mark:D

·
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I can change it out to my "hero" shot taken during Thanksgiving when I went to Florida on the S2R. US1/23 is being repaved with Obama Bucks and is smooth as glass, uncrowded, and better each trip South.

Funny with specialty tools, you can find sites that will sell in bulk (1000's) but finding the site that sells one-zees or twenty five-zees can be a major pain in the ass. Avatar update in three-two-one...

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Lowe's carries something like those clamps and also crimpers, much more expensive but I remember using the same clamps for the upper and lower radiator hose, you know, the one that in every SF is cut too short? also for the overflow one on top, you think for $20K they would have used crimp clamps instead of worm gear cheapo crap and painted black!?:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
That's kind of strange. In the automotive industry, we used Oetikers because they were quick and easy to install on the assembly line using an air operated crimper. I never regarded them as being particularly trick. One common use is to retain u-joint boots on half-shafts.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Don't forget to buy the clamp cutter. You'll mangle your hoses without one.

·
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I got the correct clamp size in today. And upon close examination, the actual ducati clamp is an Oetiker 15.7mm clamp. The size is visible just under the crimp area. Tomorrow i plan on replacing the temporary screw clamp with a brand new 15.7mm Oetiker. So if you plan on purchasing the tool and one 25 count bag of clamps, you'll be spending roughly $30 US.

Last bit of info... pulled the tank, installed the 14.5mm clamp. It fit over the hose and I was able to clamp it REAL good, whereas I think the 15.7 would have been at maximum crimpage. Crimpage aint no word, but I like it just fine.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
So Bill, about the size of the clamp, is the size of the clamp based on the size of the hose it will go over or is based on the size of the pipe that the hose will go onto? Sometimes when you get a 2" hose is actually the I.D. that reads that instead of the O.D.
I was thinking of getting those for the rad. hose
Thanks!

·
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I believe that would be clamp diameter. Oetiker has spec on which clamp can suit which need. Each clamp has a limit based on when it is fully open to fully crimped. Not sure what the fuel line size is, but both the 15.x and the 14.x fit. The 14.x was able to clamp tighter as the 15.x was at maximum crimpage on my bike... hence why I think it came off... plus there is next to no barb on the fuel pump outlet which allow it to work itself off if the clamp is not super freakin tight.

Keep in mind I had a standard clamp on for 4,000 miles, then it let go like the stock clamp. You cannot safely torque down a screw type clamp like you can the Oetiker, much less the Oetiker applies equal force when crimped, a standard screw clamp will crimp the portion by the screw more... and since the clamp is somewhat small, that uneven force is not good as it would actually allow for play on the far side of the clamp, and thus leaving you stranded, cursing yourself that you knew about it and just had not gotten around to it.

I should have measured the outlet barb in case someone else had the issue and to compare it to someone elses if they changed out fuel filters. Still all in all a good tool to have.

Not sure the supplier I linked has them that big... someone does though... Hopefully that will get posted to this thread too.

Earless Clamp Page
http://www.oetiker.com/content.asp?l=4&idNavig=25

Operators Manual Page
http://www.oetiker.com/popup.asp?l=4&idNavig=425&idClass=25

Chads Tool Box (larger clamps)
http://chadstoolbox.com/oetikerstepless1earclamps.aspx

Clamp Max/Min Specs
http://pep-plastic.com/manufacturers/newage/oetiker.htm

Liquid Ice USA Online Store Tool Linkage
http://74.52.154.146/~liquidic/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=68

Granger Link for Kit that contains Multiple Sizes
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2PU26?cm_mmc=Google Base-_-Pneumatics-_-Hoses-_-2PU26

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
Bill, I am looking at doing the same thing, I have a question concerning the clamp size. The clamps list a open size and a closed size. When you mention a clamp size is that the listed size or are you referring to the closed size. My measurements are way off in comparison to your posted sizing.

BTW, thanks for posting this!

·
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just re-read my post... shit, seems like years ago.

Here's what I posted:
Last bit of info... pulled the tank, installed the 14.5mm clamp. It fit over the hose and I was able to clamp it REAL good, whereas I think the 15.7 would have been at maximum crimpage. Crimpage aint no word, but I like it just fine.

My post thoughts are:
The clamp used during assembly was wrong. Reasons I've heard were that fuel lines can have differing outside diameters while still having the same ID to fit the fuel filter/pump barbs.

My Monster used different sized clamps as well, so it seems to hold true.

Recommendation would be to purchase two bags of 25: 14.5mm, 15.7mm.
The 14.5 fit perfectly within the range needed for my fuel line.

Bag-o-25 14.5mm

Bag-o-25 15.7mm

I have purchased probably 10 different sizes, since it is relatively cheap and NOT having the right clamp when you need it totally sucks.

·
8,278 Posts
I was looking at doing the fuel lines to the injectors as well, size was listed as 16.8 mm. I will follow your advice, thanks again!

·
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Who said trichinosis was dead!?

·
øøøøº
1,312 Posts
I don't know what that is.

Where is BZR when you need him? Can I get a little help here Beezer?
It means you're getting too much cock!!!! The plugs obviously aren't working.
How bizarre!:think:

·
8,278 Posts
Bill, my tool and clamps arrived yesterday. The 14.5 worked best on my first test crimp. Gotta hand it to you for finding this information.

I thinks this belongs in the hall of wisdom myself.

MODS?

·
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bill, my tool and clamps arrived yesterday. The 14.5 worked best on my first test crimp. Gotta hand it to you for finding this information.

I thinks this belongs in the hall of wisdom myself.

MODS?
I dont remember if the clamp tool post ended up there. I thought it did. Glad that worked out for you. Being as I got stranded twice... an ounce/milliliter of prevention is worth a pound/kilo of cure.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I got the tool and clamps the other day. Once clamped on, when the time comes, how do you get these suckers off?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts