Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody,
I have a european spec 1996 900SS to which I'd like to fit a Dynojet Stage 2 kit. The bike is stock apart from BOS carbon-fibre silencers and 15/39 gearing.
To match the Dynojet kit, wise tongues tell me to fit a K&N air filter and remove most of the airbox lid.
Which K&N filter do you guys use - the flat or the tall type?
Do you really remove most of the lid, or just a section of it (picture)?
Any problems with water ingress? I live in Germany where it often rains and where officers of the law can be a serious pain in the ass when it comes to modifying your bike:)

Cheerio

Esben

·
Registered
352 Posts
No idea what the German Fuzz will do but the usual airbox lid mod is to chop off at least 2 thirds of the top from the rear leaving a front lip as a weather shield, using a flat panel filter.
The Pod filters are more likely to attract the long arm of the law as they are slightly more obvious to casual inspection.
That said if you have any decent amount mileage on the bike its likely the emulsion tubes will be worn oval by the needles movement leading to poor running from idle upto 2/3k rpm as it goes rich.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I suspect the deeper of the KN filters would flow a little better...provided it fits in that airbox (I'm not sure about this detail)

Individual pod filters would not be a great idea...the airbox should be retained with the stock CV carbs.

Of the bikes I have seen in BC, Canada, (which can also be pretty wet) some had cut the top out of the stock lid, while others had completely discarded the stock lid in favour of a simple aluminim square to hold the filter in place.

If you are concerned about water ingress, cut a little less of a hole in your std. airbox lid, then stick with this while you fine tune the jetting.

FWIW, When I had that bike, I found it to run best with the jetting slightly leaner than the Dynojet recommendations, by one MJ size and 1 clip position on thier needle. I was at sea level, temps in the 60-80f range.

enjoy

·
Registered
421 Posts
The owner before me had removed the rubber snorkels from the top of the airbox lid and opened up the rear mufflers. (no other mods).

In the weekend I put them back and I noticed a dramatic (very pleasing) reduction in the induction sound. I suspect that opening up the top of the box might be equaly as noisey as removing the rubber snorkels from the lid.

With or without the snorkles doesn't seem to make much difference to the performance below 5000 rpm (but it does run a lot quieter). I am not sure what it does above 5000 rpm because I don't live there.

While I like the louder than standard exhaust noise I don't like the induction sound.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi!
Thanks for all your replies!

I am a bit concerned about the intake noise without lid - all the Helmholtz and assorted theory that goes into designing airboxes goes down the drain when you remove the lid (or even the rubber snorkels).
I suppose the easiest way to find out is to try it out... Off to ebay to look for a 2nd hand lid!

Esben

·
Registered
12 Posts
G'day,

Just save some more money and go for the Keihin fcr 41mm carbs, I have them on my 95 SS with an open airbox (see attached pic) - fantastic performance and sound... and the local police (München) haven't noticed ;-)

I've done a quite few trips in pouring rain (e.g. Stüttgart to München or Graz to München) and I've had no problems with the open airbox.

Grüße

Nic

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts