Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In The QUEST for the "ultimate intake system"

In colaboration with BunburyDyno, (located at Wayne Patterson Motorcycles in Bunbury Western Australia), we are on the R&D path to develop a range of WASP/BD Hi-Performance "Power-UP" kits for the SC range of Ducati motorcycles.

I will spill the beans on the product as research and testing draws to a close and we head towards production.

Anyhoo!... As part of the research into this new range of products, we obviously required base/reference dyno figures as a yard stick.

Onto the battle front steps the WASPmobileMK2.

The first series of dyno runs was with the Termi slip-on race kit which includes, mufflers, Termi E.C.U, Termi airbox lid - and with the DB killers installed.

We then conducted a numbers of dyno runs with the Termi kit as listed above minus the DB killers, which is how I currently ride the bike.
I have not shown that on this comparative dyno sheet as the object of this thread is to show what happens with DB killers installed.
Suffice to say that this series of runs (open Termi's) made 6.2hp and 4.6ft-lbs more than the standard equiped bike.

The next series of dyno runs was the "standard bike", as it is delivered from Ducati. We re-fitted the standard exhaust slip-ons, standard E.C.U, and the standard airbox.

Two things took us clearly by suprise.
1/ The Termi equiped bike is rediculously quiet with the DB killers installed. It actually sounded like a sowing machine or a Honda step-thru. General consensus among the crew was that the standard exhaust sounded better.
2/ It makes LESS power and torque than the standard bike.

O.K - On with the Dyno sheet and some pics to show the bike in both configerations.
At this juncture I will state the following:
"We all know Dyno's read differently from one shop to the next and that it is not the peak figures that we are looking at rather than the percentage of difference between results". This is exactly why we have done these base/reference dyno runs.
You will see by the data at the bottom of the sheet that "The runs were done 'back to back', or at least as quickly as we could do the complete exhaust + airbox lid + E.C.U changeover and that there was very little change in atmospheric conditions thru the course of all these runs".
All dyno runs were done (and will be done untill the completion of this product development) using standard 15>39 SC1000S gearing.

Enjoy,

Greg.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay excuse me. But who the hell buy a Termi kit and then afterwards killing the music it makes.
My thoughts exactly... But a number of members in different parts of the globe have done just that to remain within their local laws, while at the same time quoting that (accourding to the "bum dyno") they actually feel it has made a small increase in power.

Greg.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just for clarity.....by DB killers are you referring to the baffles that come with the Termi's? Or, is there some other set of quieter baffles that are known as DB killers?

I've got the Termi kit, but am running without baffles. I haven't even seen the baffles, they are in the box with the stock silencers. But, I will have to fit the baffles for annual inspection after the bike reaches 3 years old.

Just curious.

Cheers,

Brett

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Even though I never ran my Termis with the baffles in, this doesn't surprise me at all. The baffles are a smaller path for the exhaust than the stock exhaust, and positively tiny compare to the baffleless Termis. They appear VERY restrictive.

Thank you very much for hard numbers.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hmmm...Greg...I hope your cooking up something just as amazing as your WASP TMSD.
You have transformed my GT with the steering damper & now i really want a Sport with a kick ass exhaust system...( love that tank shape)....I will be viewing this thread with much interest!!!!!

Cheers Roger

·
Registered
724 Posts
Buying a Termis or Zards with baffles is like buying a guitar without strings....

·
Registered
321 Posts
Oi dont lump the Zards in with the Termis as these are very fruity sounding even with the baffles in (Zard Slip-ons) .

·
Registered
724 Posts
Oi dont lump the Zards in with the Termis as these are very fruity sounding even with the baffles in (Zard Slip-ons) .
I have the 80db/120db Zards and I realy like them without the baffles. They sound pretty beefy. But I respect your opinion brother!:) Ton Up!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Geez Wasp! BUNBURY! that's a long ride to use a Dyno.
Looking foreward to see what Dr Waspenstein is preparing on the slab.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have the 80db/120db Zards and I realy like them without the baffles. They sound pretty beefy. But I respect your opinion brother!:) Ton Up!
lol would love to run them without but I suspect it would rapidly follow by my collar being felt by the local plod (getting a pull the local feds)

·
Registered
175 Posts
cops pinged me recently for being too loud with my termis - i thought they were 'standard' termis as i haven't modified them or removed baffles since the dealer delivered them... they're pretty loud so i expected trouble at some point.

i will check if to see if they should be louder!

·
Registered
175 Posts
ps. my termi's are marked 'race use only' and not for street use - not sure what other jursidictions do in this regard.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I would think, just looking at the photo, you might have tried the standard ECU with the termi and DB killers. Just out of curiousity.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Remove Termi baffle, cut out the ridiculously restrictive tube at the point where it is crimped onto the flange. Replace the tube with one 25mm diameter 75mm long (cranked to follow the line of the silencer). Leave the inner tube-end open and don't bother with additional ventilation in the tube walls. The sound is full-bodied Duc, but on the right side of being conspicuous (still clearly audible with ear plugs in place). I experience no popping-back of backfiring and no hesitation in throttle action. Don't forget to include a new cross wire to help remove the baffle at a later date.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts