Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Dyno results... what the what?!

11633 Views 42 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  Black Hawk CO
These guys did a dyno run on a 2012 pikes peak with a "full ducati performance exhaust system" and I don't know if I can believe the numbers! I you look at the top rotating part of their web site, it will rotate to the pikes peak dyno numbers

-before tune shows 117hp and 78 torque
-after tune shows 139hp 84 torque

How can the before tune numbers be so low and how can any tune make that much difference?!?
http://www.commoto.com/

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
1,310 Posts
Very possible. Unfortunately the US emissions laws are very strict causing many manufacturers to castrate the hell out of their engines. Also, they are comparing peak hp. The difference between the two results may not be that drastic throughout the power band which makes it a bit deceiving.

· Premium Member
1,145 Posts
I had mine dyno-tuned by Chad at commonwealth recently using a Tuneboy map. My bike runs fantastic. I've got the dyno sheet somewhere but not sure where it is. If I remember and can find it, I will post it. My bike ran good before, but it runs fantastic now. The bike's fueling seems a lot more sorted and it pulls much harder throughout the the revs all the way to the blinky lights on the tach. I think mine was the 2nd they did, the first being a '11 Pike's Peak. I talked with the guy who owns it and he voiced the same results as did I. They also sorted the suspension which made a hell of a difference with the bikes handling and ride ability.

· Registered
594 Posts
Something wrong there , out of the box shoud'nt be that low , most after a dyno tune gain 4-6 hp if that.

· Registered
757 Posts
I had my '12's ECU reflashed and added a LV midpipe & can. Due to the distance to any dyno, I did not do a before/after. The dyno can 'expected' the bike to do 'about 120'ish' due to his work with Diavel/Streetfighter. My bike dyno'ed at 136 HP/83, with the F/A ratio's being almost perfect (his words). Yes, I expected more, but all dyno's are different and the bike almost perfectly after the reflash, with all the shitty fueling belowm 4000 gone. A buddy's CBR1000 dyno'ed at 117 at a H-D shop and his bike is way faster the my MTS. So, the CBR obviously is pulling more HP then mine, but the dyno's were different.

BTW...the reflash was done by David at Redline Performance.

· Registered
770 Posts
Go simply by the tests in the mags, I don't recall ever seeing a stock test lower than ~127 and I've seen them as high as ~136. There seem to be a lot of dynos out there showing low 130s for stock 1200s.

· Premium Member
154 Posts
A buddy's CBR1000 dyno'ed at 117 at a H-D shop and his bike is way faster the my MTS. So, the CBR obviously is pulling more HP then mine, but the dyno's were different.
Agreed.

You can't compare different bikes run on different dynos, you can't even accurately compare the same bike run on different dynos. There are just too many variables, not the least of which is operator error and the absence of proper correction factors and the different types of dynos each have their own quirks and tendencies on outputting the numbers.

The only benefit IMHO is to test the same bike on the same dyno with as close to identical set up (tie down, airflow, etc) as possible and use proper correction factors to adjust for atmospheric conditions between runs to measure changes on that bike and that bike alone.

· Premium Member
2012 multistrada 1200 / 2019 hypermotard 950
345 Posts
I agree that all dynos are different . That said the results with my 1200 s now is so much better down low with surging. dynoed with reflash, mivv exaust full system, and power commander5 installed and tuned . Custom tune done by redline motorsports.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

· Registered
282 Posts
Don't let facts get in the way of advertising and marketing.

Marketing is the process of communicating the value of a product or service to customers, for the purpose of selling the product or service. It is a critical business function for attracting customers.

before tune shows 117hp and 78 torque
-after tune shows 139hp 84 torque

Sounds better than before Tune 137hp 82 torque after Tune 139hp 84 torque.

I am not saying a a good Tune is bad. I am just saying its not a dramatic difference for 2013.

· Registered
298 Posts
This is where the "butt dyno" comes into play.

I totally get the engine running smoother - no flat spots, better pickup at low revs - the usual stuff. But most of us with a custom tune do not suspect we're riding a totally different bike. Your results would only be credible if you felt a DRAMATIC night and day improvement, as opposed to a "yeah, that's much better".

I know I'm talking about shades of grey here, but with that much HP improvement, it should feel like "hey, who swapped out my engine with a Moto GP motor?".

One word of caution on the dyno tunes... if, for any reason, you get your ECU reflashed, it sort of invalidates all your tuning work. On my PC-V, for example, the program rides on top of the Race ECU programming. When I got a new/improved computer (to finally fix the dreaded DES Preload Error), my bike ran a LOT different. New flat spots where before it ran great. Horrible mileage... I've lost about 25 miles of range (refilling now at 125 miles).

Some day, I'll double down and take it back for another couple of hours of dyno time.

Mark

· Premium Member
154 Posts
I agree that all dynos are different . That said the results with my 1200 s now is so much better down low with surging. dynoed with reflash, mivv exaust full system, and power commander5 installed and tuned . Custom tune done by redline motorsports.
Hey Troy -

Thats a good looking dyno complete with AFRs and SAE correction

I see your baseline run (127.7/76.3) already included your decat Mivv set up. Did you also have the ECU remapped when it was installed so the baseline included a basic tune ?

To clarify -

Baseline dyno run (127.7/76.3) = Mivv decat full system + ECU remap (to match exhaust)

Second dyno run (135/82.3) = Mivv decat full system + Redline Tune

Or was the baseline done with just the exhaust work without an ECU remap ?

· Registered
3,781 Posts
Wow, I feel good about mine now, simple LV mid pipe, shortened Arrow Thunder Ti can, filter, Bazzaz ZFI and dynoed after some tweaking a 142 hp!

· Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Wow, I feel good about mine now, simple LV mid pipe, shortened Arrow Thunder Ti can, filter, Bazzaz ZFI and dynoed after some tweaking a 142 hp!
Dyno results are greatly affected by the Dyno and the person performing the pull. I have a '08 GT500 that I track. I replaced the blower, used a smaller pulley, replaced the intake, installed long tubes and a performance exhaust, aluminum driveshaft and lighter clutch and flywheel assembly along with installing a tune and changing a lot of the parameters in the ECU, water pump, timing and so on. The claimed horsepower for this set up was 800+ rwhp, but we were only able to achieve [email protected] The claimed horsepower from Ford for the stock engine was 500 at the crank. We could only get 396 at the wheels where it should have been around 440+. These claims and results will vary depending on the dyno, location, fuel and elevation. I don't think you can compare your 142hp pull to someone else's, but if you're happy with the way your bike runs, that's what ultimately matters.

· Registered
3,781 Posts
Dyno results are greatly affected by the Dyno and the person performing the pull. I have a '08 GT500 that I track. I replaced the blower, used a smaller pulley, replaced the intake, installed long tubes and a performance exhaust, aluminum driveshaft and lighter clutch and flywheel assembly along with installing a tune and changing a lot of the parameters in the ECU, water pump, timing and so on. The claimed horsepower for this set up was 800+ rwhp, but we were only able to achieve [email protected] The claimed horsepower from Ford for the stock engine was 500 at the crank. We could only get 396 at the wheels where it should have been around 440+. These claims and results will vary depending on the dyno, location, fuel and elevation. I don't think you can compare your 142hp pull to someone else's, but if you're happy with the way your bike runs, that's what ultimately matters.
Actually no, even though the bike is a rocket above 4K rpm, anything below that is not acceptable, the bike chugs, spits, backfires, dies and everything in between, I was told that to fix that I would need the autotuner but I'm soo frustrated that I just yanked the whole ZFI thing out and sent the ECU to Redline, I'd rather have a perfect tuning down below as well as on top than be happy only above 4K with piggyback add ons.
We'll see!

Reactions: SlimPickens

· Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Actually no, even though the bike is a rocket above 4K rpm, anything below that is not acceptable, the bike chugs, spits, backfires, dies and everything in between, I was told that to fix that I would need the autotuner but I'm soo frustrated that I just yanked the whole ZFI thing out and sent the ECU to Redline, I'd rather have a perfect tuning down below as well as on top than be happy only above 4K with piggyback add ons.
We'll see!
I'm really happy with the way mine runs with the Tuneboy software. Bike seems spot on and pulls from the bottom all the way to redline with no issues. It runs the way I would have expected it to had Ducati not had to meet the EPA regs. I also got the cruise but have only used it once very briefly. I forget it's there and not a big fan of highway riding.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts