Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok...contributing factors:

1080 big bore kit, DP Cams, TPO beast R, Custom 2-1 exhaust from HMF...lots of titanium, ceramic bearings with knife edge, polished and balanced crank..DP ECU and power commander 5 to tune her.

I feel the number is less than planned, but as a basis for comparison, a stock DS1000 engine usually shows between 80-85 hp on my dyno.

My build thus far is showing 97.22 and 78ft lbs of torque. Shes well lightened up ( between the exhaust, shorai battery, frame mods and all the titanium, magnesium, billet and emissions removal, I d say a solid 10% weight loss) and me at 155 lbs, shes a blast to ride! A TRUE HOOLIGAN!

For the winter the updates will include the Microtec ECU thats already on my parts shelf, NCR cams, Over sized valves and some machine work on the heads. Port match, polishing, etc...

I have the paper copy of the dyno, I forgot to email a digital copy to myself but will post it as soon as I go back in on Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
You got a PowerCommander V to work with the DP ECU or is that why you're going to the Microtech?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The PC5 works just fine with the DP ECU. A custom map, none of the BS preloaded crap of course! I'm just using the Mircotec in hopes that with more adjustablity in the parameters combined with the updates, I can break the 100 hp point on our dyno.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I might just install the cams real quick and run them the rest of this year since the Ohio riding season is like 3 weeks long! I'm currently figuring out all the details and costs with the machine work. Fast Frank should be doing the work for me. Great guy and knows his DS motors!I thought about shelling out the bucks for a Guy Martin set of heads, but then, I have to draw the line...this ISN'T a race bike!

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I'm in a similar situation as you. I have the NCR cams, a *hitload of Fastfrank parts and I'm trying to decided where to draw the line for a street bike.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm so effin obsessed...I think I decided to send my heads to Martin Brickwood...as long as I can convince Guy not to paint them red. Those oversized aluminum intake manifolds are too tempting!

Time to sell off all those parts I was saving for the next build...maybe some plasma too!

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Guy did my heads and I have his oversized intakes. (never used) I wont be using the intakes because of my custom throttle bodies. Interested in them?

PM me and I can send you more info.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm so effin obsessed...I think I decided to send my heads to Martin Brickwood...as long as I can convince Guy not to paint them red. Those oversized aluminum intake manifolds are too tempting!

Time to sell off all those parts I was saving for the next build...maybe some plasma too!
BlackKat, are you familiar with my Monster 1123cc build? Initially I really wanted to get over 100 hp. However I didn't go all out. Just did some basic headwork, DP spaghetti headers, bigger pistons, custom map for the Power Commander, but no change to the cams. I figured I could add cams and larger valves down the road if I still wanted more. IIRC we ended up with 95 hp and 82 ft/lbs of torque.

The bike is now very fast. I didn't realize how much had been changed until I had the chance to ride a basic S2R1000 (w/ Termi's & airbox mods) back to back with my bike. The changes were pretty dramatic. The way it pulls from down low is much improved and smoother. Anyways, it sounds like you are taking it to the next level, but if you haven't already sent those heads off you might want to enjoy the bike for a while. Take it out with some other riders on Ducatis and Triumphs and see how it will pull coming out of the corners. Your friends will be impressed.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trav!

You know all the stupid money and the no corners cut attitude I took to this Cafe. Its wicked fast and pulls like so few would know. A sexy sound from that custom exhaust... Remember...I ride bunches of Ducs daily. I recognize how special it is...but its that number I just gotta get to. I know my Dyno is light..The NCR cams alone might get me there( well with the Microtec)

Long story (made longer now) Jennie and I have our first one on the way and I just get the impression (or she told me) that it will be some time before I get to start another bike. I figure I can just add to this one to feed the demon inside me. Sick heads, more NCR stuff (have you seen the carbon valve covers!?)..more titanium odds and ends...Maybe an Evan Wilcox tank?

No Radical Ducati in my near future...just my 1080 CR Il Mostro getting polished beyond what I thought possible.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I hear ya. It will be cool to have a DS motor with over 100 hp. But the cost to benefit ratio starts to get thinner. I added up all the NCR stuff once. You could spend something like $12K on the titanium rods and crank. Expensive, but you'd have a true 1200cc DS monster.

Your Dyno is probably just realistic. It sounds similar to the one in my area. You wouldn't believe how many people have told me that their basically stock 1000 or 1100 engine dyno'ed at 92 hp. Every respectable magazine I've ever read has them dyno'ed at around 82hp, with a few horsepower less for the Sport Classics (they must have a more restrictive airbox or exhaust).

Have you tried the Power Commander Accelerator Pump program. It was a free download for PCIII with the USB connections. The PC-V probably has the same feature. We downloaded it from the Power Commander website. There are no drawbacks to drivability since it doesn't do anything with normal throttle inputs, only when you feel like getting on it. Often you will hear about the great throttle response that FCR flatside carburetors provide. Well this is the fuel injected equivalent. Very satisfying. It is surprising that you don't hear more about more people using it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There certainly are limitations to the NCR stuff I'll get. I'm not going into the case again! No crank, no rods either! The cams and oil cooler (maybe the valve covers) will be it. The bike IS a street bike..lol..no track time on her planned!

I haven't done too much with the software packs from Dynojet. Might be interesting though. I'm leaning against Guy Martin now..You're right...the money spend for the HP is just not quite worth it. I think I might just use his intakes, the 2mm larger valves..have Fast Frank do the port work, reinstall the NCR cams and call it a day. I might get 103-106 from Frank for far less money.

Will I notice the difference? Slightly...Over $2k worth? I could live with it!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Try the Accelerator Pump program. My mechanic only charged me an hour of labor. It also helped smooth out any acceleration judders when giving it gas at lower RPMs. So the bike is smoother and quicker when you grab a fistful of throttle. If you don't like it, simply delete it. All right, I won't push it anymore.

So how much for the NCR cams? What kind of lift/duration do the NCR cams have compared to the DP and stock cams?

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
ok...contributing factors:

1080 big bore kit, DP Cams, TPO beast R, Custom 2-1 exhaust from HMF...lots of titanium, ceramic bearings with knife edge, polished and balanced crank..DP ECU and power commander 5 to tune her.

I feel the number is less than planned, but as a basis for comparison, a stock DS1000 engine usually shows between 80-85 hp on my dyno.

My build thus far is showing 97.22 and 78ft lbs of torque. Shes well lightened up ( between the exhaust, shorai battery, frame mods and all the titanium, magnesium, billet and emissions removal, I d say a solid 10% weight loss) and me at 155 lbs, shes a blast to ride! A TRUE HOOLIGAN!

For the winter the updates will include the Microtec ECU thats already on my parts shelf, NCR cams, Over sized valves and some machine work on the heads. Port match, polishing, etc...

I have the paper copy of the dyno, I forgot to email a digital copy to myself but will post it as soon as I go back in on Tuesday.
What dyno you on ? Superflow or Dynojet ? (Im hopin the answer is Superflow)

Muzz

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks my displaced buckeye! I just printed that off this morning so my master tech could help me understand the differences between my DP cams and the NCRs that'll be going in there soon.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Ha, I honestly dont miss it. I miss my friends, but that's it.

There is a big difference in duration on the NCR cams. You're going to want to choose your static compression ratio wisely. With that much duration you're going to need it pretty high to not kill the bottom end. I would also recommend the MBP retainers for the valve shims as these cams have an aggressive ramp.

Your Tec might find this interesting. Dynamic CR

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
its a dynojet

Heres a few specs on the cams...

BikeBoy.org - Ducati Cam Specs
I suspected as much. Dynojet (inertia) dynos tend to produce readings 10 % - 15% higher numbers than Superflow ( eddy-current \ electric ) dyno...

Dont get me wrong tho... you have an excellent well thought out build going there and I dont mean to detract from that !

In the end its all relative anyhow...any dyno ....gives you a bench mark to work off of and a way to actually measure improvements \ detractions given mechanical changes or tuning inputs may have. Invaluable real-world tuning tools ! I cant imagine working without a dyno .....

All in all tho .... it all comes down to the ride .... and I'm bettin your description is an understatement of its performance ...

Keep the posts comin !

Muzz

1 - 19 of 19 Posts