Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It took just about four minutes for the mechanic to set the bike up for the dyno session: Power Commander is connected to the computer, few more wires here and there.
Then a quick initial run just to test the readings. Then he disconnects O2 sensors. And immediately the yellow Check Engine light comes ON.
Him:
"WTF? Was ECU ever re-flashed?"
Me, with a fake confidence in a voice:
"No... DP ECU that comes with full Termis doesn't have to be re-flashed..."
A couple quick phone calls to confirm what I said. Then he shuts down the Dyno. My session is over.
From what he said there is no way to build a AF map for PowerCommander (and similar devices) if ECU still reads O2 sensors. Period.
He politely unbolted my 3 years old DP ECU. It is now in my pocket ready to be mailed to RedLineMotors for re-flashing.
Interesting enough my bike has been DynoJeted PowerCommander-mapped twice in last three years (in another shop). First was $300 and second $400. I wonder if those who "mapped" the bike knew that the bike was "un-map-able"!
Another observation is that when mechanic connected Power Commander to the computer he found
there was a single map "guiding" both cylinders (while Power Commander allows two maps - one per cylinder). And the AutoTune was set to ON in setting (the bike doesn't have any AutoTune devices connected).
I just don't get it... Was I fooled both times when the bike was dyno-mapped in past?
They were showing me the printed Dyno before-and-after graphs... "explaining"... here it was too reach, and here it was too lean.. They showed me how much smoother and better the curve now...
This morning I was told: an ECU that reads O2 sensors doesn't allow to be controlled by PowerCommander... then how those mechanics were able to build the map a year ago if today's guy was not...

Later today I sent an email to Redline to make sure there is no error. Here is what Dave emailed me back:

"...DP ecu's from your year to current use the O2 in the performance mapping.
If you want to use a PC you must flash the ecu and disable the O2's. The ECU flash and mapping will be very very good on your bike..."

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hmm...... From what I know PCV is a piggy back to fine tune the map in the ECU. If ur ECU is not reflash or so call jailbreak then PCV cannot utilize its function and if your ECU is reflash dash board shouldnt be having all the check lights as it has been so called crack the (ECU coding). Pardon me if my whole theory is wrong I'm still learning too...... :):):)

·
Temporary greeter
23,095 Posts
Sputz, did we teach you nothing?

Dynojet Power Commander does not disable o2 sensors. Neither does the Ducati Performance ECU.

Period.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Sputz, the PC can tune the open loop portion of a stock or DP ecu above 5k rpms, but not the closed loop portion below 5K...your previous tuners were either full of sh*t or took advantage of you, maybe both...:(

·
Bon Vivant
11,720 Posts
It took just about four minutes for the mechanic to set the bike up for the dyno session: Power Commander is connected to the computer, few more wires here and there.
Then a quick initial run just to test the readings. Then he disconnects O2 sensors. And immediately the yellow Check Engine light comes ON.
Him:
"WTF? Was ECU ever re-flashed?"
Me, with a fake confidence in a voice:
"No... DP ECU that comes with full Termis doesn't have to be re-flashed..."
A couple quick phone calls to confirm what I said. Then he shuts down the Dyno. My session is over.
From what he said there is no way to build a AF map for PowerCommander (and similar devices) if ECU still reads O2 sensors. Period.
He politely unbolted my 3 years old DP ECU. It is now in my pocket ready to be mailed to RedLineMotors for re-flashing.
Interesting enough my bike has been DynoJeted PowerCommander-mapped twice in last three years (in another shop). First was $300 and second $400. I wonder if those who "mapped" the bike knew that the bike was "un-map-able"!
Another observation is that when mechanic connected Power Commander to the computer he found
there was a single map "guiding" both cylinders (while Power Commander allows two maps - one per cylinder). And the AutoTune was set to ON in setting (the bike doesn't have any AutoTune devices connected).
I just don't get it... Was I fooled both times when the bike was dyno-mapped in past?
They were showing me the printed Dyno before-and-after graphs... "explaining"... here it was too reach, and here it was too lean.. They showed me how much smoother and better the curve now...
This morning I was told: an ECU that reads O2 sensors doesn't allow to be controlled by PowerCommander... then how those mechanics were able to build the map a year ago if today's guy was not...

Later today I sent an email to Redline to make sure there is no error. Here is what Dave emailed me back:

"...DP ecu's from your year to current use the O2 in the performance mapping.
If you want to use a PC you must flash the ecu and disable the O2's. The ECU flash and mapping will be very very good on your bike..."
How many fukin times have we told you this and how many times have you tried to dispute it?

Sputz, sometimes dude, you are thick. ...but we still love you. :)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
You got ripped big time.... I won't ask if you didn't feel the difference after the "tuning" :sleep:
I would have a word to the guys that took your money!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts