Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the Dyna Coil kit from CA Cycleworks and installed it this morning in my '93 900SS, which has stock header, opened up airbox top w/ K&N filter, and 41mm FCR carbs. The bike was running great before, but I had read so many good things about the Dyna Coils that I wanted to put them on the bike.

The installation went really well, and maybe took me two hours (I'm very slow, and I removed the bodywork, cleaned some stuff up, and replaced the wellnuts). Most people could do this in an hour or less.

Once I got everything put together (including the caps that screw onto the tops of the plugs so the plug wires snap on tightly), the bike wouldn't start. I pulled one of the plugs and it was a little damp and slightly fouled, but not too terrible. I cleaned it up (admit I didn't do the front cylinder plug because the verticle plug wasn't that bad, I don't think it was bad enough to keep the bike from starting) put it back in, and still no start. It did pop a little backfire a few times but never even came close to actually running.

I've checked all the connections, and everything looks great, so I'm not quite sure where to go from here.

One thing that I did find curious, the Dyna Coils they sent were the 5 ohm coils, and it seems like most of the posts I've read here about them refer to the 3 ohm coils. Is it possible that I've got the wrong coils, and this is what's keeping the bike from starting? It would really surprise me if they sent the wrong kit, as the person I spoke with on the phone appeared to know exactly what she was talking about and I explained to her that my bike had the 41mm FCR's.

This kind of sucks. I'm leaving for vacation tomorow morning and this will drive me crazy if I can't get it running before I leave!

Any suggestions or advice?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Obviously make sure you have the + and - hooked up correctly. Also make sure the Ignition control Boxes are hooked up for the right cylinders. AKA swap the plug wires at the coils.

I also believe my Dynacoils are 3 ohm

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would be checking all your connection positive and negative connections
pretty easy to mix it up when pulling apart
left coil is the front cylinder right coil is for rear cylinder
have you checked to see if you have spark when cranking?

check these things first
ca cyclework are a very dedicated company who know there products i very much doubt you have the wrong coils

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had the same problem back when I installed my FCR's. Turned out I had reconnected my ignition boxes backwards.

Jeff

·
Registered
276 Posts
They sent you the wrong coils. The carbed 900s need the 3ohm coils.
You are not getting the correct spark. Too weak. That's why the plugs are wet and fouled.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the same problem back when I installed my FCR's. Turned out I had reconnected my ignition boxes backwards.

Jeff
Bingo! I had the wires swapped on the ignition boxes. Once I changed that the bike fired right up and seemed to idle a lot better than it did with the stock coils.

·
Registered
431 Posts
thats good to hear

I checked my coils are also 5 ohms and my bike runs fine
i think these have superseded the older dyna coils

go and enjoy

·
Registered
348 Posts
thats good to hear

I checked my coils are also 5 ohms and my bike runs fine
i think these have superseded the older dyna coils

go and enjoy
I have the black 5ohm Dyna coils from Chris at CA cycleworks. No problems with the install and the bike runs fine. In fact it starts better and revs smoother and quicker with the FCR41 than in did before.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Bingo! I had the wires swapped on the ignition boxes. Once I changed that the bike fired right up and seemed to idle a lot better than it did with the stock coils.
Awesome! I've since marked all my connections with a sharpie so I can get everything plugged in properly. Enjoy your new coils!

Jeff

·
Registered
421 Posts
Well done in sorting it out. FYI I am running the 3 ohm Dynatek minicoils. I measure the standard coils and they are somewhere between 4 and 5 ohms. My multimeter doesn't have enough resolution to give me a precise value between these two values. For the more electronically minded, note this is a DC resistance measurement and won't be the same as the impedance the ignition boxes actually see.

It's possible that they now draw slighty more current through the ignition boxes and yes it's possible that this could put more stress on the ignition boxes but so far no problems. I'll post on this site if I have any problems in the future.

The advantage with the mini coils is that they mount to the existing coil and ignition box mounting plate with no modifications.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts