Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been using Dyna Beads with a few sets of tires now on a 996 using PP tires and a R1100S using PP 2CT tires. 1oz Ft, 2oz Rear.

The first few changes on both bikes (5 rear tires total, 2 Front) I've found very even tire wear (tread depth) front and rear tires, unlike what I would normally see when using weights. There was usually more tread depth on one side then 180° away. First round with front tires on both bikes, the 996 still looking very even with probably less than 500 miles left.

When changing the rear tire on the 11s last 2 times (picked up a nail with less than 500 miles and replaced - 3rd tire with beads, has 1700 miles & wear still looking very even) I reused the beads over noticing a fair amount of what looked like little rubber specks about the size of the beads, pretty small. I didn't feel I needed to be concerned about it, deal with it next time and sift them. I don't remember the 996 beads having as much of this issue in 1 change, (2nd tire reusing them) – maybe I didn't pay close enough attention? I'll know more soon enough.

At change, front tire (PP 2CT) on the 11s had 3586 miles on it using new beads – not reused. I've been noticing uneven wear, although minor, along with an imbalance toward the end of its life, say, the last 300 or so. The day I changed it, cruising at freeway speed the imbalance was very noticeable – I thought it odd given how smooth they've all been throughout on both bikes.

What I found were small to large rubber looking balls, largest of .25” Dia. - all together weighing in just shy of 1/4oz. They grew from the beads rubbing the graphite/silvery looking film off - maybe some of the tire, but think its only the film building up like snowballs. They are VERY hard packed. Notice in the pic how the center of the tire where the beads run is darker than the sides. The film rubs off with your finger and is slightly sticky – at least this used tire.

The Rear tires I've changed and reused the beads had accumulated approx 4K+ miles at last changes without seeing this type of rubber accumulation, just the tiny black specks mixed in. I'm lucky to get 1900 miles out of a rear.

Bottom line, when reusing the beads you might want to take the time to sift out any of these little specks – obviously the large ones before reuse. Also reweigh, usually some are lost. There was a full ounce when I weighed the beads after sifting. Maybe time should be taken to wipe the inside of the tire and blow it out? I'll assume its a protective coating, maybe anti-static, or just mold release. Couldn't get a reading with an ohm meter. This tire may of just had a excess?

I'll continue using them unless I find this becoming more of a problem, like if toward the end of tire life they do no better then weights – or worse. It is nice not having the weights on the wheel and these are easy to use. Apparently some extra care is needed when reusing. I also noticed some of the beads were split in half. During a second sifting and separation they would stay at the top of the lid I was using, not rolling easily to the bottom (sorry, no pics of that process). Those I discarded.

Also good practice to find the heavy spot of the wheel, I've found it's not always the valve stem.

Hope this is of some help to those considering switching over or using them now. I've been real happy with them overall, but surprised with the above findings. I put new ones in the replacement PP 2CT tire but unfortunately didn't pay as close attention to the inside film of the tire as I could have, as closer inspection came later.

Attachments

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
There was a note somewhere that using Dynabeads with a track based tire is not recommended as the tire heats up enough that the beads become embedded in the carcass. Maybe a similar effect is what created the rubber balls. That is actually a cool issue, esp as it didn't cause anything really bad to happen.

I'm a Dynabeads user for life. I would love to try them on our cars. Of course, cost and low profile issues are there. So for now, it is just a thought.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
965 Posts
The black balls I have seen in both in car and motorcycle tires when dismounting. Ant sort of debris in a tire will cause the little balls of rubber. Have you dissected the black balls to see if a Dynabead is in the center?
I have also purchased tires that were out of round or took a lot of weight to balance.

Just some things to think about while solving your tire balance/wear questions.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There was a note somewhere that using Dynabeads with a track based tire is not recommended as the tire heats up enough that the beads become embedded in the carcass. Maybe a similar effect is what created the rubber balls. That is actually a cool issue, esp as it didn't cause anything really bad to happen.

So for now, it is just a thought.
The PP 2CT isn't really a track tire but for the street. I know many use it on the track. I also saw that warning. As stated, the "Film" can be rubbed off. It doesn't just wipe off with a light touch, but will transfer to your thumb (or any finger you choose to use) with med-heavy pressure.

Have you dissected the black balls to see if a Dynabead is in the center?

Just some things to think about while solving your tire balance/wear questions.
I did dissect one expecting to find a bead, but it was solid hard pack with NO bead inside. I may look at a few more as it would make sense since that film could build up over one. If you look at the one closer pic you can see the black/graphite looking film stuck to them. I don't think any of it is rubber, only the film. The tire was clean inside to start, no rubber or other junk inside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts