Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to forum, although have had my 96 900SS/cr about 4 years, just getting into mods. Does anyone have any experience with Marchesini vs Dymag Magnesium wheels for this bike. Calling around, the Dymag's seem cheaper by a little, what about quality, fit, etc. Thanks

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
The forged 10 spoke Marchesini was lighter than the 5 spoke Dymag mag. I'm not sure of the weights of the other Dymag mag wheels.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
no thoughts on quality?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Marvic?

Don't forget Marvic!
You'll see them more on the track than Marchesini! Racers know light weight!

Now that ought to get me in real trouble......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Marvics the way to go?

Great store Moto! Did a little more digging and think i'm going to go with Marvics, as the price and look is right, and i can't seem to find anything bad about them on the web. March's a beautiful but just too much dough for me right now. The BST's... Dammmmmnnnnnnn..... if i hadn't just bought a Ghezzi-Brian. Might have to get a 916 at some point just to mount those on it and stare....

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
jbcaddy said:
what about those carbon wheels? BST Motowheels has them, and they are super light.
They're only slightly lighter than the Marchesini 10-spoke magnesiums, 300g front, 200g rear. I know this for a fact because I have a set of each, and have weighed them (BSTs for the SS, Marchesinis for the ST2).

Tom

·
Registered
22 Posts
Think...

juicersr said:
Hey guys, new to forum, although have had my 96 900SS/cr about 4 years, just getting into mods. Does anyone have any experience with Marchesini vs Dymag Magnesium wheels for this bike. Calling around, the Dymag's seem cheaper by a little, what about quality, fit, etc. Thanks
You should read this article:

http://sportrider.com/features/146_0402_bg/

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Snail, great article! I've read some of the threads regarding Mag vs Alum on the street. The Alum Marchesinis and Mag Marvics cost about the same but the Al March's weigh a little more. Which would you guys go with? Is it true that the 'life' of Mag wheels is considerably less than Al, even if you only track your bike a couple of times a year (which is what i do) Thanks for all you input guys! Great forum!

·
Registered
818 Posts
I came across this guy at the SoCal MC show: http://czusainc.com/ - Carrozzeria Wheels

Beautiful billet wheels and the price is great, too. He doesn't have any carbon applications, so performance-wise it might not really stack up to the Marchesinis or Dymags, but they're great looking, they're a great price, and they'll surely be lighter than stock. Worth considering, no?

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
juicersr said:
Is it true that the 'life' of Mag wheels is considerably less than Al
The EPM mags (cast magnesium) on my LeMans are 24 years old, never had a problem with them.

Tom

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Xseal, the part numbers you want for the March's are 72202.60g rear, 71138.35g front (6 and 3.5's, g is for the gold ones). The cheapest i could find for the Mags was around 2 grand/pair at this place:

http://www.revlimiterracing.com/wheels/marchesiniwheels/marchesiniwheels.html

talk to a supercool chick named lisa and she will hook you up. The aluminmum wheels are around 1600 a pair.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
If you are thinking of cast magnesium wheels--consider the forged Marchesini aluminum. They are lighter than the Carrozzeria by about a pound each and almost the same as the cast magnesium wheels. The outer rim on the Marchesini is lighter than most other rims (look at how they machine the lip).
The Carrozzeria wheels are quite heavy. In some cases it was the same as the OEM wheel. They are beautiful wheels though.

It is not just how light the wheel is--it is where the weight is on the wheel. BST carry 80-85% of the weight in the hub. That is the main reason why there is such a huge difference in the forged magnesium and BST carbon wheel. The Sport Rider article measures it in Moments of Inertia (MOI).

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
AMEN!

Well said, Martin. Keep this in the spot light as the principal reason for light weight wheels.

moto said:
It is not just how light the wheel is--it is where the weight is on the wheel. BST carry 80-85% of the weight in the hub. That is the main reason why there is such a huge difference in the forged magnesium and BST carbon wheel. The Sport Rider article measures it in Moments of Inertia (MOI).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts