Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the side stand recall done on my 2015 Ducati Multistrada and now the bike leans much farther over than it did previously. It is now leaned so far over that I can't mount it by standing on the foot peg even if I wanted to (although I almost never do that) and I often have trouble lifting it off the side stand at gas stations especially if they are sloped a bit the wrong way. The batch number on the side stand looks correct in that it is in the same format as noted in the recall notice. The batch number on mine is W44-2015 (and I understand anything after batch W23-2015 is supposed to be good). Also it has the plate on it that comes with the enduro kit and it fits perfectly. Not sure if Ducati uses the same side stand on other bikes or not but it sure feels like this one is for a shorter bike than the Multi. I also note that the paint has started to crack and flake off around the weld. I can't see any sign that the metal is cracked but it is starting to rust but I must admit I am not really trusting this thing at the moment.

Wondering if anyone else noticed additional lean following the side stand recall or not. I will contact a dealer to discuss but would appreciate any input or advice you might have.

Of course at the moment I am a long way from any dealer which just makes it more difficult.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have the '15 with side stand supposedly done before I bought the bike so my only point of reference, though not extreme relative to my other bikes. At times I do relocate so not leaning too far. I bought the separate foot as a necessity item for hot asphalt and dirt. That foot was like $70. A few chips off my center stand. I always clean the bike well and coat things like bolt heads and undersides, chain line, etc... with Boeshield since cleans and then leaves a wax film. That should minimize rusting.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I do have the separate foot as well on mine. I guess my concern is that this one is so much shorter than the original one and clearly flexes a bit causing the paint to crack off. Ironically the original one, which was recalled, never did that. I am guessing the flexing is in part do to the steeper angle and there being more stress on the stand. If it stood up a bit straighter the angle would be such that it wouldn't flex as much.

If anyone has any comments on whether their replacement stand was shorter than the original I would like to hear them.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Something's not right... I had my stand replaced under the recall and it didn't change the lean angle at all.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Mine also seems to lean over way too much. Will take a picture tonight and post for comparison.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Not good. You need to find out why the replacement is shorter than original.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks. I do have the separate foot as well on mine. I guess my concern is that this one is so much shorter than the original one and clearly flexes a bit causing the paint to crack off. Ironically the original one, which was recalled, never did that. I am guessing the flexing is in part do to the steeper angle and there being more stress on the stand. If it stood up a bit straighter the angle would be such that it wouldn't flex as much.

If anyone has any comments on whether their replacement stand was shorter than the original I would like to hear them.
If your replacement is shorter than the original stock one, I'll trade you for mine. I need a shorter one. The recall didn't change anything on my bike. Instead, I made changes to suspension internals.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay I have it sorted out at least in a sense. I measured the stand and called the dealer and he measured the ones on a 2016 he had on the floor and it turns out that the one I have is about one inch shorter than the stock ones on the floor. He will order a new one for me but if any of you have one that feels too short you should check it out with your dealer. The dealer isn't clear on why this one is shorter than it should be.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your replacement is shorter than the original stock one, I'll trade you for mine. I need a shorter one. The recall didn't change anything on my bike. Instead, I made changes to suspension internals.
Once I get a replacement stand you would be welcome to this one. Just as a thought however you might be able to get a shorter one from the Ducati dealer since this was an original Ducati part and presumably was intended for one of their models which is lower than the Multi. I guess there is some possibility that this is just manufactured incorrectly in which case it makes it a bit of rare bird.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Once I get a replacement stand you would be welcome to this one. Just as a thought however you might be able to get a shorter one from the Ducati dealer since this was an original Ducati part and presumably was intended for one of their models which is lower than the Multi. I guess there is some possibility that this is just manufactured incorrectly in which case it makes it a bit of rare bird.
That would be fantastic! I'm looking for a 3/4-1" shorter stand (I need to shorten the center stand too). If you have to return the shorty to the dealer, then if you see any part number stamping, that would be most helpful in going to my dealer for the part (or I'll just cut and re-weld).

·
Registered
5,899 Posts

2wheelmike, did you lower your Multi?

·
Registered
402 Posts
2wheelmike, did you lower your Multi?
Yes, about 1" F/R. Very similar to Carlin Dunne's Pikes Peak winning setup, though it was not straightforward given the unusual internals on the Skyhook forks.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Yes, about 1" F/R. Very similar to Carlin Dunne's Pikes Peak winning setup, though it was not straightforward given the unusual internals on the Skyhook forks.
I may be interested in a how to guide! Though yesterday I drug a toe on Bent Mountain so I might need to go higher. ;)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yeah, I still have to keep my toes in for sure. To be honest, it was Paul Theade at Racetech who worked the magic on the forks and shock. On most bikes, you can raise the forks in the triple clamps and maybe use a different link arm or shock eye part on the rear, but of course our bikes don't allow for this, so it's complicated and I certainly can't provide a how-to. I can tell you the bike handles much sharper than the stock settings, confirmed by Trevor and Carlin at Ducati SB (who did a bunch more stuff to keep everything looking sano). If I can get this shorter side stand and a lightweight, tighter-fitting center stand (or take it off), it will finally be done. I've also got firmer springing so the bike tends to resist G-forces in corners better. It seems to scrape less than when it was stock, but it still scrapes easily.

Reactions: RockingM

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you have the measurements? Mine also seems to be too short. It measures 10 inches from pivot to bottom.
The one on my bike is about 9.5 inches and I think the dealer told me that the one on the 2016 was 10.5 and the one on a 2014 was about 11 inches.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is a picture of the side stand that is being shipped to me. You can see how he is measuring it there. If you measure it the same then you will know if yours is shorter or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
Here is a picture of the side stand that is being shipped to me. You can see how he is measuring it there. If you measure it the same then you will know if yours is shorter or not.
Mine is 11" from pivot bolt center to the tip as shown in your picture. Ld or any others with short stands, I'd like to buy your short side stand from you if you're willing. PM me with what it would take to make you part with your shorty-
Thanks,
Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts