Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Year around riding is a ‘southern’ Kalifornia thing, NOT ‘northern’ Kalifornia (100 miles from the Oregon border), but better then a foot of snow!

·
Registered
276 Posts
The Vancouver folks likey get to ride most of the season, my bike has been parked since October, and will likely remain that way until April :/

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
I ride into Nov... but yea... April for the Multi. I'll likely have the Tiger out in March during nice weather but salt needs to be long gone before the Multi sees action.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Despite my southern BC location, I don't like winter rain and road salt and I'm old and have a truck! Both my girls are waiting inside for warmer, drier roads. I didn't used to be such a wuss; I grew up in England with only a motorbike for transport and rode all year round for many years but now I ride for fun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a '15 DVT. When servicing the bike i found it necessary to remove one side of the subframe to get at one of the vertical spark plugs. Yes the plug can be accessed without doing so. But, I prefer a straight shot to the socket when torquing anything. That said, removing the subframe wasn't that bad. I'll find out on these screens I suppose as it's time for another service. Maintenance aside, I love my DVT Multi.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The service manual states:
TIMING VARIATOR OIL FILTER
Remove the fuel tank (Removing the fuel tank).
Remove the rear subframe (Removing the side panels).
It is now possible to reach the two plugs (10) of the oil filters for the timing variators.
Where in the manual did you find this information? Section/subsection. I have the thumb drive from Ducati and can't locate this.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
My shop charges the same for the DVT that they do for the the pre-DVT 1200's... and when I was talking to the mechanic he said it was about the same. ?‍♂

·
Registered
303 Posts
Where in the manual did you find this information? Section/subsection. I have the thumb drive from Ducati and can't locate this.
DonT: pages 138-140 just after changing out the oil screen. I have the "2016 ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro (E4) Service Manual" that I downloaded here from the Technical forum. My bike is a 2017 but I don't think anything changed between these years.

·
Registered
435 Posts
DonT: pages 138-140 just after changing out the oil screen. I have the "2016 ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro (E4) Service Manual" that I downloaded here from the Technical forum. My bike is a 2017 but I don't think anything changed between these years.
Interesting. I have the 2015 1200S manual off the thumb drive and it doesn’t not contain any info about this.

·
Registered
303 Posts
porkrind: here's a link. There may be some cross-over stuff that is useful to you: 2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro (E4).pdf I just checked your manual and as you note, the section on the little oil filters is missing. These manuals miss lots of bits. As a stupid example, refitting the front wheel stops after putting the spindle in; the manual is missing "put the nut back on, torque it, torque the fork clamp" etc. It's as if bits were forgotten during editing.

·
Registered
435 Posts
porkrind: here's a link. There may be some cross-over stuff that is useful to you: 2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro (E4).pdf I just checked your manual and as you note, the section on the little oil filters is missing. These manuals miss lots of bits. As a stupid example, refitting the front wheel stops after putting the spindle in; the manual is missing "put the nut back on, torque it, torque the fork clamp" etc. It's as if bits were forgotten during editing.
Thanks. The missing sections are nearly as fun as when I occasionally stumble on a sentence left untranslated from Italian.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Funny pics too! Ghost hands, weird stuff in the background, plastic shrouds on the forks, repeated sections, the wrong engine casings from earlier bikes. We have to work with what we have. May if I ever retire one day, I'll offer my services to Ducati to edit and rewrite some of this stuff for us mere mortals to comprehend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you Rick. Took a look in the manual for the 1200 Enduro and there it is. I just wish I knew how to get the manuals off this thumb drive as pdf's. I have the manuals from 1988 to 2017 on Ducati thumb drives. The last drive is 2012 to 2017. The data is all encrypted and locked down.

·
Registered
16 Posts

So I’m just now learning of these filters and have never cleaned them but I keep up with my maintenance pretty well. She has about 50,000 miles and this is the first time they’ve been removed. Pretty clean, just a little dirty oil.
Now that I’m in here there are actually four of these. One for each cam variator. You absolutely have to remove the subframe to get to the one for the vertical cylinder, exhaust cam. This was no walk in the park task but not ridiculous. The right hand piece is the most difficult as the case for the exhaust flap actuator and the swingarm position sensor prevents being able the swing the subframe piece back far enough. I had to remove the left side first. Then unbolt the exhaust header and then I could remove the frame piece.
To each their own but I’ll save this task for the 100,000 mile service. 50K interval seems reasonable. I suppose since I’m this deep I might as well remove the swingarm and lube the pivot.

Looks like my breather is leaking and I have to remove the subframe to get to it regardless.
45953667-662F-43E6-B871-D69E00F8179E.jpeg E4E58D6C-400E-40AD-B410-AD718D5551D1.jpeg 23D23C4D-C11B-4D11-A0A4-DE5A8343CCFB.jpeg BD100BDC-E529-4162-9315-FCDF1675BA7C.jpeg

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
When I was putting my ‘12 back together, I looked at where those DVT filters would be and figured the sub-frame would have to come off. If you’ve done valves/belts on a NON DVT motor, how much bigger a PIA is doing the DVT? Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
303 Posts
As Don_T notes above, the service manual is confusing as it only describes two DVT filters; perhaps it meant to say two per head. The spare parts manual is equally obtuse; it shows the two filters per head but fails to list the filters in the listing, only naming the plug and the O ring. I'm guessing you buy the three parts all under the code for part 14, the plug. It's a good thing we have each other.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As Don_T notes above, the service manual is confusing as it only describes two DVT filters; perhaps it meant to say two per head. The spare parts manual is equally obtuse; it shows the two filters per head but fails to list the filters in the listing, only naming the plug and the O ring. I'm guessing you buy the three parts all under the code for part 14, the plug. It's a good thing we have each other.

View attachment 981006
Rick, from what I see the filters are not removable. But it’s just a screen. Clean it with solvent like the sump screen.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts