Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting my '12 MTS back together, after doing the 105,000 mile service (not a misprint), and have been seriously thinking about a new MTS. While in Sacramento, on Tuesday, for the Ducati Red Tour, I talked to several folks about servicing the DVT.....and heard NOTHING good. Beside it being a nightmare to work on, there's a small screen in the head, filtering oil for the variable cam mechanism, that needs 'servicing' every 2nd service. AND to get at this bugger, the subframe has to be removed, or the motor removed from the frame. Really? Are you F'ing kidding me??? They are really trying to remove, guys like me, from the equation of owning a new Ducati. At this point, I might start looking for a low mile '14.....

·
Registered
294 Posts
You've done your homework; I doubt that most owners know about the other two oil filters and yes, they are to be cleaned/inspected every 30k km. I have not read the procedure for this yet but I'm sure it's not an easy job.

·
Registered
260 Posts
That sounds bad, but I wonder: How much added labor is this, on top of an already extensive service? IIRC the major service on these bikes already requires substantial disassembly, are we talking an extra hour of labor? On a service that routinely costs 1200-1800 dollars, it may not be that big of a deal.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
I wonder if the shops are doing it... I didn't pay extra at 30k or 60k for that and I'd assume if they have to disassemble that much there's be an upcharge.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I wonder if the shops are doing it... I didn't pay extra at 30k or 60k for that and I'd assume if they have to disassemble that much there's be an upcharge.
Probably not..... There are lots of shops that don't change fuel filters, although they do charge for it......

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I just checked the diagrams and there is two (2) small 'oil filters' on either side of the head. The filters are held in place by a bolt. Having done my valves numerous times, engine removal or sub-frame removal is the only way to get to them. Stellar design! Since I do a major service every year (this years service was over due, as I rode 18,000+ miles), this would be a major PIA!!! Hmmm.....

·
Registered
208 Posts
snip
I talked to several folks about servicing the DVT.....and heard NOTHING good. Beside it being a nightmare to work on, there's a small screen in the head, filtering oil for the variable cam mechanism, that needs 'servicing' every 2nd service. AND to get at this bugger, the subframe has to be removed, or the motor removed from the frame. Really? Are you F'ing kidding me??? They are really trying to remove, guys like me, from the equation of owning a new Ducati.
snip
Your information seems to be coming from anecdotes. Is it the sub frame or is it engine, or is it neither? Does the subframe or engine actually have to be completely "removed" or does one of them have to be shifted slightly in a 20 min. procedure? If you can take your bike down to the cams for desmo service how difficult can any other procedure be? I highly doubt Ducati designed things just to be a personal attack on you, although I guess anything is possible.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The service manual states:
TIMING VARIATOR OIL FILTER
Remove the fuel tank (Removing the fuel tank).
Remove the rear subframe (Removing the side panels).
It is now possible to reach the two plugs (10) of the oil filters for the timing variators.

Some pictures to help understand what we are discussing:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The diagram doesn’t even come close to what an actual DVT looks like, frame/sub-frame, but looking at my ‘12, getting to that location on the vert cy wouldn’t be easy. For you guys that own a DVT....take your seat off and take a look at getting to that location on the vert cy head. I’m wondering how critical this actual ‘filter’ is, especially after the first time it’s serviced.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The service manual states:
TIMING VARIATOR OIL FILTER
Remove the fuel tank (Removing the fuel tank).
Remove the rear subframe (Removing the side panels).
It is now possible to reach the two plugs (10) of the oil filters for the timing variators.
Thanks rick, reliable and correct information.
Now if the EX valve servo wasn't in the way you could get a socket-ujoint-extension on it easily. I've seen multis in the shop with subframes detached and shifted a few times, the mechanics don't seem to think it's a huge deal. All the stuff under the seat, batt, relays, harness stay put. the sub is unbolted from all this and from the frame, a few other things unbolted and left hanging, then the subframe is pulled back and swung down several inches. The mecs know where to lift the bike, support the swingarm and sub. Takes maybe 30 - 40 min.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Thanks rick, reliable and correct information.
Now if the EX valve servo wasn't in the way you could get a socket-ujoint-extension on it easily. I've seen multis in the shop with subframes detached and shifted a few times, the mechanics don't seem to think it's a huge deal. All the stuff under the seat, batt, relays, harness stay put. the sub is unbolted from all this and from the frame, a few other things unbolted and left hanging, then the subframe is pulled back and swung down several inches. The mecs know where to lift the bike, support the swingarm and sub. Takes maybe 30 - 40 min.
If all you have to do is loosen/shift the rear subframe sides to get to it then it's not bad... I watched that done to get my shock out and it didn't take long.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have to loosen the left side of the sub-frame to get the shock motor out of the bike, so doing that isn't that big of a deal, but....looking at it, you can't unbolt it (sub-frame) and just let it 'hang' (I don't think) while getting to this pesky 'filter'. IF.....I didn't ride so much, this wouldn't be an issue, as I do a major service every February, so its really on me. I guess if I want the 'feel' of a Ducati.....

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
First, props to you for all the miles and doing your own wrenching. That impresses the hell out of me. I have a DVT and I love the bike. The active suspension on some of the twisty less than perfect roads in BC and Washington is brilliant. I’ve made a conscious decision to not let this keep me up at night. First time I even heard about them, and maybe that’s the good news...but that could bite me.
If the engine is broken in and the oil changed frequently I don’t see the possibility of the screen getting plugged.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
First, props to you for all the miles and doing your own wrenching. That impresses the hell out of me. I have a DVT and I love the bike. The active suspension on some of the twisty less than perfect roads in BC and Washington is brilliant. I’ve made a conscious decision to not let this keep me up at night. First time I even heard about them, and maybe that’s the good news...but that could bite me.
If the engine is broken in and the oil changed frequently I don’t see the possibility of the screen getting plugged.
That's what I'm thinking... oil supply will be clean with the exception that when the oil is changed there's a small chance that some crud could get fed... I suspect that is what the screens are intended to catch but that's a very infrequent thing.

·
Registered
294 Posts
3B43: I'm a wrencher too but as my bike only has just over 1k km on it, I will have to wait to do the bigger jobs. I downloaded the User's, Parts and Service manuals several months before I bought my bike to ensure I knew (or at least thought I knew) what I was getting into.

DucmanST3: Where are you located? I'm just north west of Vancouver, BC.

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
3B43: I'm a wrencher too but as my bike only has just over 1k km on it, I will have to wait to do the bigger jobs. I downloaded the User's, Parts and Service manuals several months before I bought my bike to ensure I knew (or at least thought I knew) what I was getting into.

DucmanST3: Where are you located? I'm just north west of Vancouver, BC.
Greetings from scenic southern Vancouver Island

1 - 20 of 39 Posts