Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. So on a fairly big tour around the country side at the moment. First day we did about 800kms. Needless to say last 2 hrs was done at night. So we are riding 2 up with full pannier kit, riding mode on touring which by default has preload at 24 and rest of the settings are all standard. Of course setting up suspension with 2 riders and luggage was selected. So riding in the dark with the normal headlight on, not brights, about 80% of cars was flashing us for blinding them getting rather irritated with us. So obviously in the low beam the lights are hitting the poor oncoming drivers straight into the eyes. I am thinking the sagging of the rear is not good on the geometry and wondering how I can remedy this. I am no suspension fundy at all. Anyone else experienced this? I did notice with the Mrs on the back already seated and then I sit on the bike the headlight beam did pitch further up quick a bit. So our total weight with luggage is around 170kgs. I don't know what the side panniers and top box weigh. I figured with the preload already at 24 there is not much I can do about the rear end dipping? Do I need to make the front softer so the rear doesn't pitch up as much? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
If you are going to be riding 2 up on a regular basis, I would get someone to check you sag with your passenger on board and panniers loaded up. I believe you will need heavier springs installed (front and back).

·
Registered
32 Posts
What he need is ducati to work better! Not to pay a LOT for a motorcycle and have to buy something because when doing something that is meant to do, it sucks doing is job.

Mine too, i have to adjust the leds full down... When two up, and adjust again when alone. Sucks....

But thinking just a little, ducati made it this way just to made us buy another multistrada! One for two up, and one to ride alone!!

And refering to this subject, the dealer that i go, questioned on this matter, they say to me ,calmlly "You have to adjust the settings..."

·
Registered
373 Posts
Unfortunately, if you don't have a Pikes Peak you are screwed when it comes to getting a rear spring with enough adjustment to compensate for having a passenger.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'll guess that somebody either has or will soon produce a spring to fix what ails you when riding fully loaded, given how many people complain about this issue (apparently nobody weighs more than 165lb in Italy). But you need to measure sag numbers for fully loaded/loaded for single/unloaded to figure out what to use. After you measure, try calling one of the many suspension gurus out there close to you. The stock spring is progressive, so it may not be easy to source a new progressive spring. But there's nothing that says you have to use a progressive spring. As long as the spring is appropriate for your particular load range, I don't think you will have troubles with the electronic aids on the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
The led lights are pretty bright... so I've been flashed even when I know the pointing angle is good. But if the pointing angle is high (sag is not right) then even lowbeams are VERY bright for oncoming traffic (the lights have a very sharp line).

You can tell if it's a sag issue (with a loaded bike) by parking the bike 20-30' from a smooth wall. Have someone hold the bike upright and mark the location of the top edge of the beam (line) on the wall. Then get on the bike. If the top edge of the beam moves up then your rear suspension is compressing more than your front suspension. You might be able to correct with preload, so pick one of the loaded options (rider with luggage, 2 riders, 2 riders with luggage) and adjust the suspension settings to increase preload.

Repeat the test and see if the beam angle holds.

That doesn't replace setting the sag... but if you've loaded up your bike and don't want to go through the full sag process (which theoretically you'd have to do anytime the weight changes), this will keep the headlight pointing angle from going too far off. Oncoming traffic will thank you.

Also... I generally increase rear preload rather than reducing front.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the tips. Just returned home from a 2000 kms journey. Epic and exhilarating. Wow what a Machine, didn't falter once and always had a smile, of course blessed with the best weather an rider could ask for. Well it is definitely a sag issue as at night with pillion on and me standing on the ground weight off the bike and then I sit down on the bike the nose/led beam lights definitely rise up significantly blinding the poor oncoming drivers. I don't think I can adjust the preload on the rear suspension anymore than what is default in touring mode (24) so not much more I can do there. Guess I will have to adjust the lights themselves to aim fully down as mentioned above. Thanks for that. I really expected such an advanced electronic suspension system to cope way better with 2 up and luggage, after all that's what the bike is essentially built for?

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Thanks all for the tips. Just returned home from a 2000 kms journey. Epic and exhilarating. Wow what a Machine, didn't falter once and always had a smile, of course blessed with the best weather an rider could ask for. Well it is definitely a sag issue as at night with pillion on and me standing on the ground weight off the bike and then I sit down on the bike the nose/led beam lights definitely rise up significantly blinding the poor oncoming drivers. I don't think I can adjust the preload on the rear suspension anymore than what is default in touring mode (24) so not much more I can do there. Guess I will have to adjust the lights themselves to aim fully down as mentioned above. Thanks for that. I really expected such an advanced electronic suspension system to cope way better with 2 up and luggage, after all that's what the bike is essentially built for?

Sounds like you need a stiffer rear spring (like many of us). I think I'd personally drop the front preload to see if I can balance it that way before I'd muck with the headlight pointing angle. The only thing about that which would make me a bit nervous is that the springs are dual rate... so if the back preload is high and the front preload is low I'm not sure if the springs are going to compress evenly into the high spring rate region (pretty sure they won't in fact)... that could make the suspension performance a bit less than ideal. Probably means you don't want to go canyon carving with the bike loaded and the preloads way off of normal settings. (just a guess on my part)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Dave, I guess so, which doesnt sound like there is an option for that. Will checkin at the stealership next time I am around there and see what they reccomend as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts