Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Streetfighter V4 -2021
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever measured the front forks sag? I mean this:

With just the bike's weight and zero preload that distance is 100 mm (which means 70 mm free sag). With maximum preload it goes up up 115 mm (so the free sag is 55 mm). And this is with just the bike. There you have to add the driver's weight also.

I think the front is very soft if the general rule is that the sag should be about 1/3 of the front travel (170 mm) with the driver. Could you please measure your bike as a comparison to find out if there is something wrong in my Multi or is it the same with all the Multistradas.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Have you ever measured the front forks sag? I mean this:

With just the bike's weight and zero preload that distance is 100 mm (which means 70 mm free sag). With maximum preload it goes up up 115 mm (so the free sag is 55 mm). And this is with just the bike. There you have to add the driver's weight also.

I think the front is very soft if the general rule is that the sag should be about 1/3 of the front travel (170 mm) with the driver. Could you please measure your bike as a comparison to find out if there is something wrong in my Multi or is it the same with all the Multistradas.
You went 10 turns all the way in on the right fork to get that max preload measurement?

·
Registered
Streetfighter V4 -2021
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You went 10 turns all the way in on the right fork to get that max preload measurement?
To get the maximum I turned both forks preload in so that there is no lines showing at the top of the forks. I didn't count but I guess it is about 10 rounds. I have a non S version so it is a lot simplier. I think that you have to do it via dashboard in S version if you want the maximum.

·
Registered
211 Posts
To get the maximum I turned both forks preload in so that there is no lines showing at the top of the forks. I didn't count but I guess it is about 10 rounds.
My 2015 dvt only has a preload adjustment on the right fork. Thats a 1200s with electronic suspension. The only manual adjustment is that front preload adjustment. I believe there is 10 turns total of adjustment there.

Also, there is a total of 170mm of front travel. However, if you extend the fork all the way you should get a measurement of about 185mm. This means the fork bottom out is actually about 15mm up from the casting at the bottom. So you may need to subtract 15mm from those measurements.

I also suggest this video from Dave Moss

https://feelthetrack.com/2-clicks-out-2017-multistrada/

·
Registered
Streetfighter V4 -2021
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the hint. It seems that I have to pay some money to be able to see the whole video. Maybe it is worth the money anyhow as the videos are very good (I have watched some of them).

Could I ask you to measure your bike's fork (the same measurement as in the picture)? It would give me some idea if my values are in the same area.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thank you for the hint. It seems that I have to pay some money to be able to see the whole video. Maybe it is worth the money anyhow as the videos are very good (I have watched some of them).

Could I ask you to measure your bike's fork (the same measurement as in the picture)? It would give me some idea if my values are in the same area.
My apologies. I was assuming you had the S version for some reason. That video alone wouldn't really be worth it. Especially since you dont have the S version. He does have a lot of good videos I enjoy though. Unfortunately Im gone at work in Alaska for another 2 weeks. Id search the forum, they're some other threads on this.

https://feelthetrack.com/2-clicks-out-2017-multistrada/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts