Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In getting ready for the Ducati East Coast meet in Fontana NC next month, and figured it might be a good idea to find out how accurate the 2015 MTS fuel gauge actually is before venturing out on the extended trip.

FYI - I'm running the ECU software released in Nov 2015 that fixed the low fuel level indication/warning, second gear issue, etc...

So with 1/4 tank showing orange on the TFT display, I loaded a 1.25 gallon gas can in my pannier. The display turned red at 1/8 of a tank, and when the range went to zero, I reset the trip odometer and rode until the engine shut down (no sputtering it just quit). The odometer was reading 17 miles. By the way I was running 55 mph in 5th gear for most of those 17 miles.

I pulled in the clutch and rolled to the side of the road and dumped the 1.25 gallons in, she started right up, and I was back on my way (showing 1/8 tank and a range of 24 miles).

There will be minor variances from bike to bike, but hopefully this will provide DVT owners an idea of what you can expect.

Cheers !!!

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
The last half gallon to gallon after the digital gage hits (zero miles) is also used for fuel pump cooling... I'd suggest not getting in the habit of using it. :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
That's consistent with my experience as well. I didn't ride till it quit but was nursing it to the next town north of the Oregon/Washington border with 10 miles past remaining miles = 0. I was very pleased the gauge worked so well. And before I was forced to nurse it, I was having an absolute BLAST on smooth, 120mph sweepers!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The most I've ever added was slightly under 4 gallons and the furthest I've ridden between fillups is about 150 miles.

·
Registered
600 Posts
My results were 10 miles left on range and just under a gallon left as I filled with 3.1+ gals at 200 miles exactly. Looking at avg and current mpg I was at 60-65 mpg a lot the last 60 miles, on cruise at 55, since I missed my midway gas stop and was 10 miles shy of my range where I could gas up. Was a test to see how little I could use. Amazed at the range. I am used to 110 or so on all of my older bikes.

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Best I've ever gotten was about 52mpg... worst was somewhere in the mid-30's. I typically refill between 170 and 200miles with range reading somewhere between 10 and 50 miles... but I've had to refill in the low 100 mile range before too.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I had a very bad experience once running my ST4s very low on fuel. I didn't know that the tank vent hose was crimped between the tank and the frame (by a certified mechanic) who had serviced my valves. The heat from the engine caused the fuel to boil. When I got to a station and opened the fuel filler, fuel went all over me and the bike. It could have been a disaster. Lesson #1, if you hear a wooshing sound when you open your fuel filler look for a blocked vent and fix it. It is not just your fuel pump that is at risk from running on very low fuel. Don't do it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I usually get about 250 kilometers before the orange light comes on. I think that is right in about 150 miles so pretty much mirrors what others have said.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In getting ready for the Ducati East Coast meet in Fontana NC next month, and figured it might be a good idea to find out how accurate the 2015 MTS fuel gauge actually is before venturing out on the extended trip.

FYI - I'm running the ECU software released in Nov 2015 that fixed the low fuel level indication/warning, second gear issue, etc...

So with 1/4 tank showing orange on the TFT display, I loaded a 1.25 gallon gas can in my pannier. The display turned red at 1/8 of a tank, and when the range went to zero, I reset the trip odometer and rode until the engine shut down (no sputtering it just quit). The odometer was reading 17 miles. By the way I was running 55 mph in 5th gear for most of those 17 miles.

I pulled in the clutch and rolled to the side of the road and dumped the 1.25 gallons in, she started right up, and I was back on my way (showing 1/8 tank and a range of 24 miles).

There will be minor variances from bike to bike, but hopefully this will provide DVT owners an idea of what you can expect.

Cheers !!!
Question: Are you saying an ECU Software update will fix my Low Fuel Level Warning on my 2014 Multistrada S Pike Peak? I've had the warning since pulling her out of 2 month winter storage with an empty tank. I was going to call the dealer today to schedule maintenance.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The ECU software update I mentioned was specifically for the 2015+ DVT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts